Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
galley tank leak

For the first time since owning the 5er, we had the galley tank full into the sink. I drained it, but noticed dripping out of the belly pan. After returning home, I removed enough of the pan to access the tank. I then realized you can't get at any kind of drain hose from the sink. So I went in under the sink. Nothing there either. Am I correct in assuming that the tank has a neck that comes thru the floor, and the drain from the sink is then glued to it? If so, that leaves me with a crack in the tank. Sorry for the long post, but I'm wanted to be clear about what I checked. Jim

beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Jim,
I have a similar Mountaineer like yours. No, no leaks. It could be where the drain enters the tank. There is an awful lot of bouncing back there in the rear kitchens. No matter how we pack everything, something gets broken. Our refrigerator shelfs in the door are breaking all the time. Seems like we have to empty the refrigerator to travel.

It's possible the bouncing caused the pipe to loosen or break?

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just had both my gray tanks replaced this spring. Same problem - Cracked right where the neck goes into the tank and they both leaked when full. Seems to be a common problem...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dave,

What hoops did you have to jump through to find out what specific tanks were needed? Did your dealer have the part numbers? If I knew exactly what I needed, I would attempt to do this job myself.

How do I find out which tank number is needed?....and what is the cost?

Thanks.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Roy, fortunately, there was no water inside. It looks like the drain pipe is either glued into the top of the tank, or the tank has a neck on it. I don't want to remove the tank. I will monitor the water level closer. We never travel with any water in the grey tanks, so it shouldn't have cracked from that. However, we did buy it used.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I think you pretty well described it but there also is the dump pipe from tank to the main dump pipe and I think that's also glued/cemented to the tank. You either have a crack in the tank or one of the pipes or at the joints of pipe with tank would be my guess.

I don't think the tanks come with a neck. They're built to be used in many different RV models and brands and I doubt one size fits all as far as a neck is concerned. There may be a short neck to which a longer pipe is cemented, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Dave,

What hoops did you have to jump through to find out what specific tanks were needed? Did your dealer have the part numbers? If I knew exactly what I needed, I would attempt to do this job myself.

How do I find out which tank number is needed?....and what is the cost?

Thanks.
Robbie, I can't remember the total cost of the tanks ($50 deductible on extended warranty). Just need your VIN # and you have to order through a dealer. Keystone has told me that after being ordered through the dealership, they will drop ship directly to you, though.

Keystone would not give a price, but your dealer can. This is not a job for the faint of heart, Robbie. You also have to get extra plumbing parts to replace what is broken in the neck.

I will see if I can find that paperwork...
Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Robbie, I can't remember the total cost of the tanks ($50 deductible on extended warranty). Just need your VIN # and you have to order through a dealer. Keystone has told me that after being ordered through the dealership, they will drop ship directly to you, though.

Keystone would not give a price, but your dealer can. This is not a job for the faint of heart, Robbie. You also have to get extra plumbing parts to replace what is broken in the neck.

I will see if I can find that paperwork...
I appreciate it, thanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Steve, I did see the dump valve when I was under there and it is fine. I guess the Mountaineer is different than the Montana in that it has two dump ports. One for the blk and grey, and one for the galley. Anyway, for now I will not allow the tank to get that full. Thanks for everyone's input. Jim
Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Robbie, my gray tanks were $155 each. But the devil is in the details - about $50 in extra parts (flanges, couplings, valves, etc from Keystone) per tank. Again, I would suggest having a trusted dealership do this for you. Not a fun job.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Robbie, my gray tanks were $155 each. But the devil is in the details - about $50 in extra parts (flanges, couplings, valves, etc from Keystone) per tank. Again, I would suggest having a trusted dealership do this for you. Not a fun job.
Did you say trusted dealership? That sounds like an oxymoron, kinda like Wilderness RV Park.

I think you are right, going to try to repair the tank first, and then use the new tank and "trusted dealership" as plan B. It really adds up if you don't have the extended warranty by the time you put on shipping too! Thanks Dave for checking for me.

Mel (melnjoy) did some research for me and found a "Holding Tank Repair Kit" by SYON with part number 002-90213 with NTP 13-0616. Says it comes with everything needed to repair a tank except the labor.

Probably somewhere on the internet they might have "Labor in a Can" for sale!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
These mini rallies are great for helpful labor. At the Mackinaw Rally, John Kohl and Dave (Exnavydiver) both chipped in and did a temp fix on my awning roller. Dave and Joanna got quite a hand from them also - along with many other MOCers - on their landing gear problem.

All you have to do is haul your new gray tank to one of these.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Hi guys, this is the first I have been one in a while because of work. And boy was I surprised what you have been talking about. I came home from work monday night and saw water dripping from the back. Anyways long story short, my galley tank started leaking also. Right where the tank outlet is. I talked to some mechanics at work and they think it can be patched so I am going to try that first. I will post back later to let you guys know if it works and what I used.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Junglejim,

Our tank had a leak there also. We applied a plastic radiator repair kit and it worked fine. Be sure and clean and scruff up the area to be patched. Also be sure and use the fiberglass strip. It will supply a great deal of strength to the patch. Ask my how I know this.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

These mini rallies are great for helpful labor. At the Mackinaw Rally, John Kohl and Dave (Exnavydiver) both chipped in and did a temp fix on my awning roller. Dave and Joanna got quite a hand from them also - along with many other MOCers - on their landing gear problem.

All you have to do is haul your new gray tank to one of these.
Have you ever heard about the helpful hands at Quartzsite? The projects during the rally just keeps getting better and better. Last year, we installed inverters for everyone who wanted one, and we also adjusted everyone's brakes.....who know what this year will bring....lots of talent out there! We'll be looking for more projects that benefit MOC people.....stay tuned!

BTW, did you know that there are only 163 days, 16 hours, 58 minutes,......and 40 seconds until the MOC Quartzsite Rally!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Robbie, if they start changing out gray tanks at Quartzsite, that will be a new level of "helping hands".

We will be on the wrong end of the continent for Quartzsite, but maybe someday we can make it over there.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #17
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Thanks HamRad, I had a guy at work tell me to use a fiberglass patch also. I think I will give that it a try. I appreciate the reply.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Robbie, if they start changing out gray tanks at Quartzsite, that will be a new level of "helping hands".

We will be on the wrong end of the continent for Quartzsite, but maybe someday we can make it over there.
Would be real nice to see more "EAST" coasters at Q....come on over, we'll leave the light on for ya!