Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
blyle

M.O.C. #8590
Alignment??

Does anyone have the real story on wheel/axle alignment on a tandem axle trailer?? We have an 08 3400RL with about 11k miles on it. The right front tire is wearing badly on the outer shoulder. The other 3 tires look good, as if they could easily go another 11k. I'm guessing it is an alignment issue, but suppose it could be something else. Any ideas or experience with this.

blyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Hi, it sounds to me that the problem is just with that one tire side. It could be that tire or wheel problem, or, more likely a bent hub or axle causing a toe in or out problem, or camber problem. As far as I know, the only way to do a wheel alignment on our trailers is by bending the axle into the proper position, which is routinely done in some alignment or frame repair shops. I had a SOB badly misaligned and a local truck frame repair shop had me on my way within 2 hours.
Other members here may have other valid suggestions for you.
Peter
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We had some weird experience with tire wear we thought was alignment. Had it checked and alignment was OK. The alignment shop found that all of the tires had different diameters. Three were fairly close but one was an 1" or more larger than the others. Try measuring the tire diameters and the space between the tires. Look at the spring eyes and the hangers also. You might try to figure out how to check if the locating pin for the spring assy is ok. It's inside the spring pack at the center U-bolts. Richfaa had one shear and it cause him problems.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we had axle alignment problems, both tires on the axle wore badly. With just one bad tire I'd have to think perhaps there is a problem with a wheel bearing. It might still be the axle but I think I'd check the bearings first.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Unless you hit something and bent the wheel hub out of alignment. Put a straight edge across the out side of the tires as high as you can and parallel to the ground, to see if both sides are about the same
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
The Dexter axles have about a 3/4" bow in them if you crawl under rig you should be able to see the arch. The front end shop will rebend the axles. You also can use any straight end like a 2x4 six feet long and putting it under the axle you should be able to see the arch in axles. Noarch you need alignment. It cost me about $250 to do both axles and be sure the shop knows what they are doing. There were only about 5 in Oregon who had the equipment or were recommend by a couple of rv dealers
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ditto Skip's comment. I forgot about that. It's possible to have a bent spindle from hitting a curb or pothole really hard. That would affect only the one tire unless it also knocked the axle out of alignment.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #8
epask
Established Member

M.O.C. #9460
I had the exact same problem on our return from Florida last year. The dealer found a bent spindle and I had to replace the axle.

Michigan roads are terrible !
epask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will be at Mor Ryde tomorrow after my Centering pin shear problem to have them check everything. There is no indication that our axles are bent but we shal see.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Twotogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8339
I had a left rear tire wearing the tread on the inside of the tire. Turns out the tire on the other side of the axle (right rear) was a new tire and the others were original. After reading the comment about tire sizes being different diameters I think I'll check that out. We had the new tire explode and tear some of the skirting off our rig last week. The next day, the two tires on the other side from the one the blew up were both flat. I ended up replacing all four tires. I had also replaced all the bushings in the trailer suspension. They were all bad. You can see pictures of both these topics at my blog at http://danddrv.blogspot.com/ and http://dwainanddebbiesroadnotes.blogspot.com/

Does anybody know where I can get a new tire winch that you use to crank you spare up under the rig with. The boys at the tire shop stripped the gears out of mine. I'm looking for a replacement.
Twotogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333

Quote:
quote: Does anybody know where I can get a new tire winch that you use to crank you spare up under the rig with. The boys at the tire shop stripped the gears out of mine. I'm looking for a replacement.
My tire guys did the same thing to mine 2 years ago. Those guys love the power wrenches, don't they? They had to get one from Keystone. The new one has a brass gear in it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote