Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Roof Attic Vents

I am a new owner of a pre-owned Montana 2955RL. Although I previously owned a Motorhome, and then went smaller with a Artic Fox slide in camper. Afer living in the camper last year four four months I decided to try a fifth wheel. So this is my first Fifth wheeler, my first trip and we are really loving our Monty. Yesterday I did an inspection of the roof and found that the roof attic vents were really sun damaged and in need of replacing. I am having a problem finding these vents at RV supply stores. These are not the the plumbing vents they are larger and placed in the middle of the roof, one in front of the front air conditioner and one in back of the rear air conditioner. Anyone have a source for these vents.

Thanks

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Camping World usually has replacements in stock.
If you do an internet search for rv vents you will get something like this http://www.rvadenver.com/camco_roof_...ns_for_rv,.htm

On Edit: Sorry, I may have not read your question correctly. If you are referring to the small round vents perhaps someone will come along with the answer for you.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I believe the attic vents are unique to Montana. At least I have only been able to find them at a Montana dealer
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I believe TOP ment the ones that on the the roof that vent the attic between the roof and the ceiling in side, those are a factory item I believe.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
I tried Campworld and they didnot have a clue. I have been on the phone with several Keystone dealers in Washington, again clue less.
One even suggested that these vents were aftermarket. Knowing the history of this trailer I knew he was wrong. Guess I'll talk to Keystone tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Tony & Ann
Old 06-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Can you post a picture of them in their current state, so we can know for sure what you are talking about? I haven't climbed on my roof to figure out what you mean yet, but I can't believe they would be that hard to find. It sounds like something that should be orderable from a dealer's RV parts department especially a dealer that sells Keystone products.

btw - I hope you realize some of us, okay, well, me at the very least, is interested in the "lots of trick stuff installed" in your signature. Us Gadget Folks wanna know... heh heh
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
If you're talking about the small round attic vent caps, I got replacements at an Everest dealer. I just found the part number in my files, should be p/n 102776. Parts guy didn't know what I was asking for until we went outside to a new Everest and I pointed them out. He took both off the Everest and sold them to me and ordered new ones for his stock unit. That's customer service, and why I get most of my parts/supplies from them. If that's the ones you're talking about, they screw on. Give 'em a counterclockwise twist and it should spin right off. There's a bolt right in the middle.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #8
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I took the liberty of taking a photo of the vents I think Tony is asking about.

[/img]
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 AM   #9
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
The part number I gave is the one for the round vent in the photo Jolu posted. That was from an Everest dealer, but I would think the part number would be the same across the Keystone line.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

I took the liberty of taking a photo of the vents I think Tony is asking about.

[/img]
That's the part. I did manage to contact tech service at keystone and they provided a part number. My dealer has ordered then and forward two to me in Washington. Thanks for all the help.

Tony
Old 06-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I went through the same drill with many RV dealers and Camping World. NO ONE had a clue as to what I was talking about. I went through the online "catalog" with some of the dealers to no avail. Even when I crawled up on a Everest and removed one at a dealer, we could not locate it in the "catalog".

I posted this experience about a month ago, but no one could come up with the answer either. I called Keystone and they were very helpful. It took a few people talking to others but they finally came up with the part number. I took that to Bob's RV in Grand Junction and they ordered a pair for me. I got word that they were in and I planned to post the part number and the name once I make sure it is the correct part.

As DL N K said, the part number Keystone gave me is 102776. The "official" name is Roof Attic Mushroom Cap.

I'll post back here when I confirm I have received the correct parts.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Thank you all I was up on the roof yesterday mine need replaced from sun damage all so
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #13
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Thanks so much for posting the part numbers. Ths post was very timely as I spent the day scrubbing the roof and noticed my covers were in poor condition. The refer vent cover should be replaced also as it is cracked.

PatnRich

2004 2955RL, 04 GMC 2500 D/A, 16K Pullrite
Sasha the chubby mini schnauzer
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I said I would post back here when I confirmed the part number (102776) is correct. I picked mine up yesterday. That part number will get you the complete assembly - but it is a simple matter to get the part you actually need by unscrewing the "cap" by hand.

Too bad we can't just order the "cap" portion itself, as I would bet that is the only thing the vast majority of us will ever need to replace.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Could one of you explain what you mean by "sun damage?" Do they split so they'll leak? I've not seen any problem with ours. I did have to replace a couple of tank vent caps but that was because of a low hanging tree removing them from the roof.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Steve, the finish on mine started out looking much like the sewer vent caps you mentioned. But the attic vent caps had lost their "shine" and it was possible to remove significant material just using my fingernails. The outer surface was very soft.

Then one day, this spring I was washing the roof and happened to very gently bump the rear one with my brush and one side of it broke in many pieces. It was very brittle. I wrapped it up with duct tape. It would definitely have leaked, since about 1/3 of the top was gone.

I've never put any chemical or wax on them - it just seems the UV got to the them. The sewer vent cap material seems to be of a different material - somewhat flexible. No sign of deterioration there.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Russ. That's what I wanted to know. I've only eyeballed ours when on the roof but now will check for this kind of damage. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #18
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Russ,

Thanks for the information.

I noticed you mentioned that you were at Bob Scott's RV in Grand Junction.

Do you reside in this area?

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Dean, We moved to Montrose from the Denver area a little over a year ago. Visited lots of dealers in the Denver area and surrounding trying to find the caps. This is my first contact with Bob Scott's RV and I was quite impressed with their facility. Haven't talked to anyone who has had service work done there. I can just vouch for their parts personnel.

We have been very happy with our Montana. It has had a long rest due to our move, but we are finally getting settled in and will be getting it out.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #20
MJKoloKamp

M.O.C. #22717
I know this post is very old however my wife and i recently purchased a 2006 2955RL. And was up on the roof looking and found that both of ours have been broken off. Went looking on the web and found these.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mushroom-Atti...1569542&chn=ps
MJKoloKamp is offline   Reply With Quote