Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
landing gear fuse

Well I went and blew the 30 amp fuse for the landing gear. Got out my pack of replacements and they have wider blades. Local dealer was out of them but found us one in the shop. Their service manager said he thinks the wider blade fuse will fit. Does anyone have experience with this? I will get some at the auto parts store tomorrow to have spares.

greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe they will work as long as the width from the outside edge of the blades don't exceed the width of the outside edge of the other fuses. I'm not sure because I've never looked into the slot where the fuse sits. Give it a try.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
You may think of getting a 30A circuit breaker rather than a one time fuse??? I think they plug right in.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

You may think of getting a 30A circuit breaker rather than a one time fuse??? I think they plug right in.
We probably will do that to save on fuses. L.O.L.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
The wider blade fuse will fit the fuse holder. My 30 amp was blowing and the dealer swapped it out for a 40 amp with the larger blades.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve, unless the wiring is capable of handling 40 AMPS I would never move up 10 AMPs in the fuse. You could be looking for trouble in the form of a fire.

If you will recall, some years ago an MOC member did the exact same thing and after a month or so he did have a fire.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
If I remember right, the wire is bigger than 10 gauge which is rated for 30 amps. I'll check later but I'm pretty sure a 40 amp fuse would be safe.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Glenn: I hope the dealer knows what he's doing? But that's the reason I had them fix it instead of me just upping the fuse amperage myself. I believe the wiring is OK for the 40 amp fuse but as Jim stated above it's a good idea to have that checked out.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve, Surely the dealer should know but than again we have all heard about the lack of knowledge of some of these dealers. Always better to be safe than sorry.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
At an automotive store you can purchase an AGC circuit breaker of the same amperage that plugs right into the present configuration. It is very useful when you hit the end of the travel limit and the current has a tendency to raise beyond the threshold. The circuit breaker is an automatic reset, so you don't have to go rummaging around in the compartment to change a fuse.

The most important part is to try and figure why the circuit keeps tripping. Checking all the wire connections and especially the ground point of the motor, may lead you to the cause. Many have found that the ground was not in a good grounding area.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

At an automotive store you can purchase an AGC circuit breaker of the same amperage that plugs right into the present configuration. It is very useful when you hit the end of the travel limit and the current has a tendency to raise beyond the threshold. The circuit breaker is an automatic reset, so you don't have to go rummaging around in the compartment to change a fuse.

The most important part is to try and figure why the circuit keeps tripping. Checking all the wire connections and especially the ground point of the motor, may lead you to the cause. Many have found that the ground was not in a good grounding area.

Good luck.
I know why the fuse blew. DH kept telling me to raise the trailer more as we were using our new hitch for the first time. Thing is you can`t pick up an F450 with the trailer. L.O.L. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
It seems ubnsafe to me that a wiring system designed to be used with a 30 Amp is still safe with a higher rated fuse.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I did check the wire and it should only be protected with a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker. I agree with Glenn, do not oversize the fuse, no matter what the dealer or anyone else says. 10 gauge wire is not rated for 40 amps, period.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
tuckerfolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8737
My landing gear kept blowing fuses, I even called Keystone and talked about the various discussions in these blogs, they told me to take it in and have my Dealer call Keystone for help. My dealer claimed I was using the wrong fuse!? I replaced it with a small green 30 amp plastic fuse. The Service manager said I needed a “slow burn” fuse and he said he would give me some extras. When I got here, he handed me some glass tube type fuses, and when I said that’s not the fuse, he gave me this story….. He stated by battery was low in voltage and needed water. I picked this unit up in September, took it on one weekend shakedown trip and stored it for the winter with the battery red disconnect pulled all winter. In the spring, I reconnected the red switch, and plugged it into 110v for a few weeks before our trip to Colorado Springs. All the time the battery gage in the trailer said the battery was fully charged. The dealer claims that since the battery was low, when I operated the landing gear I was pulling too many amps and would blow the fuse. I also told him that I was always plugged into the shore power, so how can I be pulling too many amps. He said it doesn’t matter, the landing gears operates solely on the battery? Also, asked him how could my battery be low on water in just 10months in service. He said because I had it plugged in so much I cooked away the water. Does any of this make sense? Anyway, according to my dealer, the reason I blew fuses was my battery was low in volts and water. So much for the battery gage in the trailer!
tuckerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, our Montana came from the factory with a 40 amp fuse. Steves' Big Sky likely has wiring as good or better than ours. I have no idea why some come with 30 amp and some with 40.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OK, Call me stupid but where is this 30 amp fuse? I have a glass fuse inline from the hydro pump but can't find the one discribed for the landing gear? Where am I missing it?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rondo, ours is in a black holder with a cap on it on a wire coming out of a breaker mounted to the back wall. Ours is just above the battery. Maybe this picture will help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
busterwms
Established Member

M.O.C. #6931
I have blown my fuse a coupla times. First time, I replaced the Chinese holder with one that would not break in my clumsy hands. I keep a supply of 30A fuses near the holder now. The last time I blew one I noticed that I had forgot to bring up the rear stablizers and realized I was trying to lift the whole 5ver using the front gear. Added another item to my checklist. Think I will pick one of those circuit breakers. Sounds like a great idea!
busterwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

I did check the wire and it should only be protected with a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker. I agree with Glenn, do not oversize the fuse, no matter what the dealer or anyone else says. 10 gauge wire is not rated for 40 amps, period.
Take a look at the chart here: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-vo...gauge-amps.htm Now, please explain to me why the 12 volt DC wiring on the landing gear will not handle a 40 amp fuse.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
After 3 time searching the battery compartment area, I have not yet find this fuse (the 15 amp one mentioned earlier is in clear view)on my 2010 with the remote control system for landing gear, etc. I guess I will have to ask the dealer where it is hidden at my Aug 10th appointment for warranty work.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote