Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Installation of decals

Well today was an exciting day for HamRad and PERetired. At about 10am "The Q MOC Group" arrived at our trailer to remove and install decals.

They proceeded to take off the old decals. Some of ours were so "baked" on that it was really difficult to remove them. But we have a very innovative and energetic group and 3/4ths of the decals were finally removed.

Next they cleaned off the glue and other residue. A short rest for most of the crew was next in line.

A renewed group then started the very exacting task of installing the graphics. The first one to go back on was the front. A group of four or five began the difficult job of lining up the graphics with the "ghost" image of the old ones. They did such a great job on the front that I could not see even a hint of "ghost" image! What a great job they did.

Next was the right side. Again the group carefully lined up and installed the various graphics. They completed about 2/3rds of the right side when they called it a day.

Pictures will follow shortly.

Thank you! Thank you! Mary Kay and I cannot tell you how much we appreciate all the kind folks of the MOC! What a wonderful group.

Now if we can just get them back to get ALL the decals installed!

HamRad and PERetired

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I love it! Just like an old fashioned "barn raising". MOCers are the best!!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Maybe, instead of Rallies, we should start having Decal Parties.

Would be interested in the technical details of how they removed the old ones. Our Decals are begining to look a bit shabby too.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Good job everyone.... I am kind of puzzled as to how and why Keystone can make or get mountain view decals to stick on, but the Montana letter decals peel off.... Can someone give me an answer on this??? Thanks... JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
On ours, the letters are mostly in good shape, it is one of the mountains on the side that is peeling the most. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the wind while we are on traveling down the road. The peeling is certainly not uniform over the whole set of graphics.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Yup, it was wonderful and just like an old fashioned barn raising. I am uploading pictures now and they should be posted later in the Quartzsite section.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John and Donna,

The basic process for decal removal is to apply heat. We used heat guns, propane torch, and even a small propane heater. Also someone brought out a hair dryer. The hair dryer did not produce enough heat to be very usable. The little propane heater proved to be a bit cumbersome to use and also spread the heat a bit too dispersed. The heat guns worked great but you do have to make certain you do not leave them pointed at one point for too long as they will burn the wall.

After the decals have been removed you then have to remove the glue residue. We used Gooff or something similar. Then clean the area with water and lastly with alcohol. Then the installation of the decals begins.

We were busy again most of the day and have removed all the old decals and installed all except one line that goes across the top of the rig.

The new decals look great. In addition Burlington included a couple of "extras". One was sort of a "swish". Sort of looks like the Nike logo. We installed that on the back. Also there was a small mountain scene. We installed that over the "MONTANA" located toward the rear on the door side of the rig. Both look very nice and give a unique look to our rejuvenated rig.

Once again we simply cannot thank the MOC members in general and specifically the members attending the Q gathering. What a group! Thank you.

If I've missed something in the removable of the decals I hope one of the folks who did the actual removal will step forward and straighten me out.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Congrats! Now you'll look like a nice, new rig going down the road.
Quick... sell it while it looks good!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The Q Decal Crew applied the last stripe today so the rig has all new decals!

A good cleaning and waxing or buffing and the rig will look like new! So Margee by the time we get it to the Lake Siskiyou gathering it should be shining. And I should be able to walk the loop! We are enjoying our Q gathering immensely and can hardly wait for the Siskiyou event to start.

Looking forward to seeing your "improved" rig also.

Later,

Dennis
Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Dennis,

Thanks for the info on Decal removal. I think I will have to get in touch with Burlington Graphics and see what we can do about ours. They are not too bad yet, but they are showing signs of peeling, especially in some localized areas. It is funny, some look almost perfect, and others are peeling and shrinking. One thing that is for sure, we won't be doing anything here in the wintertime with temperatures well below freezing 24/7.