Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Expanded Dometic Recall

I was not in the original recall notice on the Dometic refrigerators for the leak and possible fire problem. This morning in the mail I received a notice for an expanded recall. My model and serial number came up on this second recall.

What it includes are model numbers:
NDR1062
RM2652
RM2662
RM2663
RM2852
RM2862
RM3662
RM3663
RM3862

Serial Numbers with the following combinations:
320xxxxx through 352xxxxx
401xxxxx through 452xxxxx
501xxxxx through 552xxxxx
601xxxxx through 639xxxxx

Suppose my next step is to call Dometic and obtain more details.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I think this is the extra recall that was in the following thread: "Addition To Dometic Refrig Recall."
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I think this is the extra recall that was in the following thread: "Addition To Dometic Refrig Recall."
Yes it is, and the key here when talking to Dometic is to get them to pay for mobile service if it is inconvenient for you to get to a RV dealership.

I am still waiting for my notice in the mail. My numbers are in the second recall.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:

Yes it is, and the key here when talking to Dometic is to get them to pay for mobile service if it is inconvenient for you to get to a RV dealership.

I am still waiting for my notice in the mail. My numbers are in the second recall.
What notice? I called a mobile tech (got from the Dometic web site) and he came and did the recall...no charge for anything.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:

What notice? I called a mobile tech (got from the Dometic web site) and he came and did the recall...no charge for anything.
Tom, apparently they are sending out notices, even though you don't have to wait for one to get it fixed. I'm sure I'll get my notice in a year or two...

In the meantime, I'll just go ahead and get the shield on.

Also, some here were refused by Dometic to pay for a mobile service.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Our unit is in the recall.....

But I heard the fix, is just a heat shield. So if the fix doesn't work in the years to come and your fridge goes out, then the dollars to replace is on you.

For us I am waiting till I know we are not using the unit for a few weeks before I set up an appointment. I just know this is a 30 minute job that they might need to take a weeek ( or more) to fix
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I am a dometic dealer so to speak, don't do a lot of repairs anymore around my place. However I have the shields and plan on taking several cases of them to the RGV, so if I meet any folk's that need the shield installed in my Park, Green Gate Grove, or any of the parks close by, I would be happy to install it for you.. I might charge you a cup of coffee if your not to far from my park to drive.. so Keep me in mind if you don't get it done before you hit the Valley.
safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If I'm not mistaken, the dealer in Utah that did my fix also installed a heat sensing device in the area of the exhaust that shuts off the gas if it gets too hot. I had made an appointment and from the time I pulled in to the time I pulled out was 40 minutes. I was ecstatic, to say the least....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I just had mine done this morning. It took longer to convince the dealer there was an expanded recall than it did to do the repairs. The service manager had to call Dometic to see if there was an updated recall notice they hadn't received, and sure enough, there it was. A heat shield and some sort of thermal limit safety device, that shuts off the power and propane should the temp get too high.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:16 AM   #10
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I had the recall done last Thursday and it took 30 minutes max. It included a change to a sensor. The Tech said it added a second sensor, it must be a dual sensor because it went in the same hole. The rest was heat shilds underneath and all around and that's what took the most time. This is not what I expected after reading the write-up in the recall letter.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Cyrus, was that letter for the first recall or the second expanded letter?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Huge recall issued on RV refrigerators for fire hazard
July 25, 2008

Thor Industries and Fleetwood Enterprises, two of the largest U.S. makers of RVs, have reported recalls of on-board Dometic refrigerators in 231,351 motorhomes and travel trailers to fix a possible fire hazard.

Affected RVs have refrigerators made by Dometic Corp., which alerted the manufacturers. At least eight trailers built from 2004 to 2007 by Thor's Keystone RV "appear to be related'' to coolant leaked from cracked refrigerator tubing, Keystone wrote to NHTSA.

The recall involves 161,250 trailers made by Keystone for the 2004 through 2007 model years, and 70,101 Fleetwood motorhomes and trailers from the 2003 through 2007 model years, according to the two manufacturers.

Dometic recently expanded its recall on a population of two-door refrigerators. The original recall included some two-door refrigerators manufactured between April 1997 and May 2003. The recent expansion of this recall now includes the same two-door refrigerators, manufactured between June 2003 and September 2006.

Unfortunately, ours is one that needs to be repaired.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I just had my recall completed at Camping World, it seems that it is more involved than a person would think, they installed a fuseable link to the power block I think thats what it was, and if the burner box gets to hot it shuts down the frig, along with that a heat sensor mounted to the area that covers the coil that is a re settable fuse though, the fuseable link is a replacement item from the manufacture or the installer CW or----- who ever.then they wrap the bunner box with sheetmetal and close the area off, if you ever have a spider in the tube you will have to take it all apart to clean out the web, what a mess almost wants a person to get another brand of refrigerator, too bad there so expensive I would.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:24 AM   #14
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Yup, and that heat shut down works too. Went to the lake a couple of weeks ago. 225 miles from home. Filling fresh water and found the fridge was off. Troubleshot the basics, checking the fuses etc. No power at the control panel. Went ahead and got the coach parked in the sand, leveled, etc. About 45 minutes later after it cooled down, started again and ran fine the rest of the trip. Started the fridge yesterday, leaving on a trip today and all is well so far this time too.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Clyde, why did that trip that sensor? Did it malfunction? Or were you really on the verge of a fire?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Clyde I also would like to know what caused your frig to shut down, If this update is unreliable as far as turning of the frig for no reason what so ever. I think Dometic needs to get there product together, I don't need to be on the road for several hours and find out my frig has been shut down and the possability of all my previsions spoiled or at the verge of spoil. I have had no issues with my frig sence it was put in my Monty and fired up, it has always been reliable.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #17
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Had mine done this morning. As the guys posted above about 30 minutes time to make the necessary changes. Changed out the my sensor with one that has a reset plus the heat shield. As someone posted in the other thread on this subject the heat shield will have to be removed to reset the sensor.
There is no automatic reset.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #18
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Don't know what caused it shut down for sure. I should clarify that. Never had my fridge do that before I had the recall done. Hasn't done it since either. That was my best guess as to what happened. Not verified. We just completed another trip..............had it running Tuesday night thru late Sunday afternoon. Daytime temps were in excess of 100 degrees where we were. Towed 100 miles each way. Never missed a beat.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #19
guru1961
Established Member

M.O.C. #4540
Send a message via Yahoo to guru1961
Thanks to reading this forum and having an issue with our 2862 refrigerator, we are now scheduled to have a mobile service technician perform the recall task on it. We have been using the refrig on propane for about 8 months since the a/c heating element apparently went out. I took to a Cheyenne, Wyoming Jolley Rogers service center (scheduled this 2 weeks in advance) in July of this year and they apparently had not heard of this recall. They also didn't order the heating element as they promised to do before I arrived from Kansas with the trailer. Jolley I was NOT! Hopefully all will be ok once the tech has a chance to do his magic.
guru1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
guru1961
Established Member

M.O.C. #4540
Send a message via Yahoo to guru1961
Update: Service technician installed the fix for the Dometic recall and replaced the ac heating element ( I purchased separately). The old heating element had burnt through one of the tubes it sits in. Tech told me they have 2 tubes welded there in case this happens...hmmm...maybe they need to address the issue of burning elements...just my opinion! All is good for now as the refrig is running on ac again and propane hopefully will not start a fire when we use it again this winter.
guru1961 is offline   Reply With Quote