Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Black Tank Replacement

Hey folks, I guess when it rains it pours. I been sitting in the same camper spot for three months and now have a cracked black water tank. Discovered it early one morning when a large discolored icicle's was noticed under the Monty. I tried a temp patch so I could get it to my dealer in Birmingham, but that was a foolish attempt. I have a reputable mobile RV repair guys ordering me a tank from Keystone. Of course it is not covered by warranty as than ended after a year. No known reason for the crack other than it was damaged when installed and this was the first fridged winter test with it full of waste. The weight made the potential weak spot fracture and the rest is history. The tank is not cheap, and am sure the labor will high as well. Keep you posted.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I got stupid and told a friend of mine that I could replace his black tank. TWA'S NOT FUN! Thank goodness you have someone doing it for you that is a pro. I've never had so much trouble in my life, we finally wound up cutting out the valves and then replumbing it.
Anyway, good luck!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Rick - I could see it was a job that I did not want to tackle. My RV guy said it takes two for about half a day. He also said that Montys are particularly difficult due to the placement of the two from tanks. They are so close together and the "Y" connection that connects to the main outlet is very difficult to align. I tried to use a fiberglass patch and the mess was too great. It is well worth the cost.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As I noted on another post, we had our black water tank replaced three weeks ago. Total cost was $914.00 which was covered under our extended warranty. Cost to me was $50.00. That extended warranty was the best investment I have made. It has more than paid for itself. We experienced the same discolored icicle. Not a pretty sight and I decided to let the pros repair it. They didn't order the new tank from Keystone. They got it from some place in Fresno, CA. We had it replaced in Fresno, CA.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Orv
The "Other" tank that the repair people in Fresno used to replace your broken Tank. Was it a better built tank (Heavier Material)than Keystone uses? Do you know the name of the Tank Company that they got the tank from?
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Leaseit

Orv
The "Other" tank that the repair people in Fresno used to replace your broken Tank. Was it a better built tank (Heavier Material)than Keystone uses? Do you know the name of the Tank Company that they got the tank from?
No, I don't know whether or not it was heavier material. It was the same size (38 gal). I saw it before they put it in and it looked like the bad one. They got it from the place they get all their replacement parts but I don't know where they got it from. You might call Central Valley RV Repair Service at 559-255-6188. Ask for Mark. Tell him that they recently replaced a black water tank for Orv Schinke in his Montana and you want to know where they got the tank from. He'll remember me because we "stunk" up his whole repair facility!

Orv
Old 02-14-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The weak spot in the tanks seem to be where the neck, intake, is plastic wielded to the main tank...is that were yours broke??. Another reason why we purchased a Extended Warranty. We are now long timing and using all the campers facilities and equipment on a regular basis..we expect things to fail with increased use. Again these things are Recreational Vechicles..not really designed / engineered for every day use.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The weak spot in the tanks seem to be where the neck, intake, is plastic wielded to the main tank...is that were yours broke??. Another reason why we purchased a Extended Warranty. We are now long timing and using all the campers facilities and equipment on a regular basis..we expect things to fail with increased use. Again these things are Recreational Vechicles..not really designed / engineered for every day use.
Rich,
Ours didn't break at the neck. It broke along the top side almost the full length. Central Valley RV Service said that it was quite common and that they had replaced tanks in a Cardinal, Winnebago, and a Hitchhiker so I guess we are considered to be in good company.

Orv
Old 02-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quotels1932 Posted - Feb 14 2007 : 09:42:06 AM
...He'll remember me because we "stunk" up his whole repair facility!
ORV - I didn't think you "stunk" LOL

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:41 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DONnANNIE

Quote:
quotels1932 Posted - Feb 14 2007 : 09:42:06 AM
...He'll remember me because we "stunk" up his whole repair facility!
ORV - I didn't think you "stunk" LOL
I don't think I did either! But it's amazing what the odor was. This was even after the tank had been dumped before we got to the repair facility. It has opened my eyes to "odors" in the tank. We never smell anything inside the rig but when they cut the tank out there certainly was a lot of odor. On top of that, the underbelly was coated with "residue" (a politically correct way of saying what I would like to say) and we don't know how long it had been accumulating. They scrubbed all the underbelly panels clean.

Orv
Old 02-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #11
rnap50
Established Member

M.O.C. #4870
I had to have mine replaced in aug. lucky it was one month before it was out of warranty. It crack on the top by the opening. We were out west in the bad lands when it happen we were able to get back to home dealer to get repair done. Dealer out there said it would take about a week to get parts in and 3 days to get repaired. So we would wait and bring it home for repair glad we did they order the wrong tank first time. They said same model have differnet tanks so they got wrong one first. Well it is fix now working well now.
rnap50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:35 AM   #12
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
The tank I replace for my friend was cracked along the bottom, right at the re-inforcing ridge in the center. I think it was caused by him towing with a partially filled Balck Tank, though I wouldn't swear to it in court.
NASTY SMELL and after I finshed it up, threw away the clothes I worked in and took a long hot shower twice that day.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #13
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Rickety,
Now that is true friendship! Can't say that I would volunteer to do the same for a friend...
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #14
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I've been reconsidering our friendship status, After, all I got out of it was a case of Corona, should have been at least 2
He's a great guy and I didn't mind
Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Well guys my take has not been delivered as of today. The snow in the north has stopped all the south-bound shipping. I hope it ships today. Best of lest to the rest of you in this nasty cold weather.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #16
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
The black tank saga continue. Just talked with my repair guy and it seems that Keystone just don't have any idea of the correct tank for a 3400 RL. It you can believe it, we have given model number, VIN number of the unit, model number and serial number on the tank, the markings on the tank from the manufacturer that gives the length, width, depth, and even the makers serial number/model number. It just seems that the Keystone Division is one of the worst at tracking specs. I told the folks on the phone myself that the internet seems to have more data than the company. I am totally mortified at the amount of effort in getting the builder of the coach to understand what is being order. I am not at all happy with this little experience with Keystone.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Well team, the black tank replacement sage goes on and on. The bad snow up north has created a monster back log on every commodity to include my much needed tank. I had hope to see it yesterday, but no word at this point. I hope this is resolved next week. I am tired of dumping a leaking tank daily. Yuck!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 AM   #18
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find that dealers do not want to pay shipping just for a tank. If you get it fine. I deliver rv's part time and I have delivered some that were full of ordered large parts for the dealership. I delivered one to Colorado that had a matress. two bottom fiberglass sheets that ft up by the fifth wheel hookup,boxes of misc. parts, a fresh water tank, and yes a black tank.I thought I was UPS. The only reason the dealer ordered the trailer was so they could get all this stuffed shipped for free. He was real happy when they got the black tank because a coustomer had been waiting for a month to get his tank replaced. Ask the dealer if he has a delivery confirmation number from a shipper?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Well gang, the problem was finally fixed today. The repair made made the repair as promised and so far seems to has done a great job. It took two weeks for the tank to be delivered from the factory due to the snowy weather and back up freight. After some three weeks of the type problems we have had, the $590 repair was worth the money. CASE CLOSED!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #20
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Congrats.
We are waiting for our black tank to be delievered to the dealer in YUMA AZ.
When I have it changed out, I am putting two rubber couplings between the black and gray tanks and valves to give it some flex and see if that will extend the life of the tanks with flex in the lines while traveling.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote