Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
? about trip planing

Susie and I and two other couples two 5ers and a mh are looking at a bucket list. a trip to the Grand Canyon. we have talked about the first of next year. we would be leaving tn on I-40 to GC down to I-10 and back though texas hill country and home with some side trips. so the ? is when is the best time to go. I have been told not to go in feb or march because of weather but I dont want to wait till it gets HOT. We would love to go in march. I would like some input while I try to put a plan together. Thanks
bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
March may be still cold and wet which is why April or May would be much better as the weather warms up. The south rim is about 7,500 ft high and with that altitude in March the clouds and weather might just impact what there is to see since half of March is still winter. If you plan to be there a while then the different weather will create wonderful varieties of scenery or it just might cover things up. But if there's snow, then watch out.

It doesn't get real hot until late May or June because of the altitude. I won't go there June, July August or September because of the heat. We have been there once in Winter - brrrrr, averaged 45 degrees during the day, 0 at night and snow was everywhere, but we only had a popup. We have been there twice in Fall - mid November and late October (to miss all the school and vacation crowds and temps were mid 70s). I'd like to go there in Spring - April/May - because others have reported great success except for rain, but I don't mind rain if I was going to be there a while. The odds of raining every single day should be slim.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
A bucket list?
Then you have to do a helicopter tour of the Canyon like DW and I did in '04.
My Mil, "The Dragon" (a term of endearment she loves by the way) insisted we do something we never would on our own, and actually paid for it......I love her!
In a helicopter, down in the middle of the canyon and many side smaller ones, size looses perspective and is overwhelming in magnitude.
There are no photos or videos or even Imax that comes close to experiencing it that way.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
March is pretty early for the Texas Hill Country.. The first two weeks of April are usually awesome for the wild flowers.. Note I said usually. The weather is so unpredictable lately.. Same for the Grand Canyon.. You can still have a lot of snow in March at that altitude or even April and we have been in heavy snow as late as June in Flagstaff. Do that one as late as you can in the spring.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You don't say whether this a couple weeks or month or more trip. You might consider reversing the route and getting the southern end the route late March or April. Weather typically pretty nice in south Texas that time, except for occasional heavy thunderstorms with late season cold fronts. Then work your way to the Grand Canyon as a grand finale before heading home. The south rim of the canyon is nearly 7,000' so you can expect it to still be pretty cool that early.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I agree with BB TX. You might consider reversing the trip, since the effect of altitude on temperature is greater than latitude. So the southern most states might be visited earlier while the GC is still cool.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sinterior

A bucket list?
Then you have to do a helicopter tour of the Canyon like DW and I did in '04.
I agree with the helecopter tour.

The DW and I were just there at the end of August and took the tour. Like everyone is saying because of the altitude at the GC it's cool even though it was August.

If you decide to do the tour I recommend Maverick Helecopter Tours. They were awesome... It was the most fantasic sight when we were skimming about 100 feet off the tree tops then to fly over the edge into the vastness of the Canyon.... Words, pictures or even a ride at Disneyland cannot duplicate that experience...

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Bobby, We left K.C.in Feb of 06 on our way to Phoenix via I-40. Spent 3 unplanned snowbound nights in a KOA in Holbrook Az. 40 inches of snow between Holbrook and Phoenix. Jim
Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys this is The great info I wanted. I had not even though about the helicopter rides. now I just need to get a time pinned down when to go. I had heard march was not good so we need to replan a time. I had not though about going to texas first also sounds right. I realy want to see it again the last time was 1966. I guess it has changed some.LOL Thanks again
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Texas in April. Grand Canyon in May.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I agree with Stiles, Texas in April and Grand Canyon in May. If time allows be sure to go to the north rim of the Grand Canyon as well, the views on the north side are unbelievable and worth the drive.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Bobby - Last year we went to S Texas and then Hill Country in Jan-Feb and then S AZ in early March making it to Williams, AZ April 6. We stayed in Williams for a while and, from there, saw the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Jerome, AZ (don't miss this), Flagstaff and even were "...standing on the corner of Winslow Arizona" all from Williams, which is on I-40 (Old Route 66). We had very good weather all the time. Enjoy! - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bobby, way back in "66" I think the canyon was only 10 or 12 feet deep, at least that is what my daughter keeps telling me. She thinks we saw it on mammoths....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote