Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #21
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl
Any time I am jacking on the frame I hook to tow vehicle and raise front landing legs. I do not feel the front legs are designed to support that kind of side stress.
I do the same thing.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OK... We do not have axles, springs, shackles, U bolts....where do we put the jacks???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #23
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

OK... We do not have axles, springs, shackles, U bolts....where do we put the jacks???
Ahhhh, king pin
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #24
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Rich, with your set up, I would use two jacks, a heavy one under the frame near the the suspension mount, and a smaller one under the wheel axle if there is room. While you don't have the axles that go clear across the trailer, you still have axles at each wheel. A 12 ton (or higher) hydraulic bottle jack under the frame will take the weight off the axle, and 1 or 2 ton under the axle itself should work well for changing a flat tire or axle brake maintenance. Actually, this will work well for trailers w/o the independent suspension too, and is how I jack ours up when needed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks. I never thought to ask Mor Ryde where to jack. Those beams across the IS system are not really axles are they??? Mor Ryde said not.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #26
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, That is a great question for us. I did have to change out one tire and I placed the jack on the frame nearest the wheel that I was changing. Because of the extra movemement of our wheels I had to use several blocks to get the trailer up high enough to remove the wheel. Perhaps MorRyde has a better answer. I did not want to jack on that crossmember either. If you call them, let me know the answer......

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #27
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Several years ago, or is it "once upon a time"? We had a recall on our 2004 Montana. Dexter had a batch of axles with excessive paint on the drum which would work loose and then the lug nuts would be loose. Montana provided a cd that showed how to properly tighten the lug nuts and they were using a jack under the u bolts. I questioned them about this and was told that this was acceptable.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 AM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Thanks. I never thought to ask Mor Ryde where to jack. Those beams across the IS system are not really axles are they??? Mor Ryde said not.
No, the axle is what the wheel and brake assembly mount/ride on. In other words, if you pulled off the wheel and brake drum/hub, what remains would be the axle. What most people call the axles on regular units w/o independent suspension (you lucky dog) are in reality axle tubes, but that's a matter of semantics.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote