Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Shower draining around the drain

The shower in my 2008 2955RL seems to be leaking around the drain. Water drips off the pipe in the basement. Had it to the Dealer to "Fix" under warranty. Apparently didn't get it fixed. When it warms up I'll tackle it again. (Got about 6inches of snow on the ground right now, still snowing) I've tried Silicone once. May need to tyr it again. Any suggestions?

maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I thought thats where ours was leaking too. what I found is the nut on the trap was cross threaded and locked up. had to cut off the nut and replace the trap. the nut is just below the drain so it might be tricking you
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
The drain in our shower started leaking recently and my fix was to remove the drain and set it with new plumbers putty. That fixed it. There was a butyl type sealant used for the seal that I had to remove. Not a hard fix if you can get to the drain from the bottom like the 2955RL.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
I might add, it just started leaking a few months ago. It was fine when we first got it and had no problems. Maybe that nut has worked loose. I'll check that when I can.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Mark I had the same problem in my 06 3650RK a few yrs back. I took the strainer out and replaced it with a new Stainless steel one from the local hardware. Mine had a plastic one from the factory dont know about yours. I heard it pop while taking a shower one night and it started leaking then. Also when I put it back together I put a heavy pc of wood and a block in the shower over the drain then went in the basement and spray foamed around the drain so it would not flex when you step on it. I have not had a problem since.
bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We had the same problem, so I took it to the dealer for repairs and when he was done he said it was fixed. The next time out it was still leaking into the basement. So I took all the old putty out that I could get to around the drain and filled it with new plumbers putty and really packed it in and haven't had a problem since.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Thanks for the help and suggestions. When it's quits snowing and warms up some I'll see what I can do.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Mine was repaired last fall. Found the washer seal was missing on the coupling between the trap and the drain pipe. Got a new one at Home Depot and haven't had another leak since.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Had the same problem--had a dealer install a rubber gasket around the drain in the hopes it would hold up longer than plumbers putty. The dealer also sprayed some foam under the shower floor to cut down the floor flex--when you stood near the shower drain, you could see the floor flex downward and expose a gap around the shower drain. Those fixes did the trick--no more leaks in the last two years.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #10
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
They are having the same topic over in maintience right now. On our 06 3650RK same thing it was good when we bought it and then this fall it started dripping underneath. I too plan on pulling it out and using new pumbers putty along with firming up the floor. Hay Bob, your right REAl trucks do rattle!
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
David, when you said they sprayed foam under the shower to firm up the floor, do you mean they filled the space there with foam or do you mean they just sprayed it up on the bottom of the shower floor?

I'm just trying to picture it in case I need to do something.

Thanks.

Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Also retightened mine. A basin wrench really helped.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Larry I sprayed mine up in the hole between the floor and tub around the drain. But be carefull to put something heavy on top of the drain in the shower because when the foam expands it will cause the floor to rise up and it wont drain right. mine would flex when you stepped on it before very strong now. junglejim dont they sound pretty!!!.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Well I pulled mine apart yesterday and cleaned everything real good. I then reinstalled using plumbers putty and replaced the screw with a stainless steel one as the old one was rusted pretty good. So now time will tell if it holds. I did fill the shower up a little and no leaks but it may be differant with someone standing and moving around in there. I also didn't use any material to beef up the floor whereas the foam they used was right up to the hole in the floor. I felt if I put more in it would just not leave enough room to get to the drain. scductman,they sure do.me and my wife love the sound of the loud ford 6.0 diesel and the whine of their turbo.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Larry--sorry for the delayed response. The dealer used the spray foam to fill the void space under the shower. The way it was before they sprayed, there was a large enough void below the shower floor that the floor would deform downward substantially when you stood in the shower, and that deformation opened a gap between the shower drain and the shower floor. After they filled the void with spray foam, there was very little deformation when we stood in the shower.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our dealer also used the spray foam. Prior to that ours would leak but only when there was weight on the shower floor. That told us it was not a loose fitting but flex in the floor causing it to pull away and allow seepage. The foam fixed the problem for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote