Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
HELP no hot water, anode need replacement question

Got up in the morning and had no hot water, I'm running on electric only and have not tried the gas yet, but I know the anode is only 1/8 inch in diameter x 4 inches long so will be replacing it. (had to order it)
My question is with the anode that small and needing replacement can that cause my lack of hot water on electric or is there sometime else going on ?

kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I'm guessing something else is wrong. Did you have hot water before? As I understand it, the only purpose of the anode is to collect heavy metals from the water. Make sure the switch outside your rig by the water heater is in the on position. Check your breaker and make sure it hasn't popped. If you have a meter check for voltage at the heating element. There is also a reset on the front of the unit but I don't remember exactly where. Hope this helps and let us know what you find. Jim C.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The anode only prevents metallic build up on certain tanks (Suburban for example, like mine). If you have one, you definitely need one, but it should have nothing to do with no hot water unless it's has worn away so bad it has caused your tank to wear away, but then you should be seeing worse problems. My new anode (I replace about every 2 years) is way more than 4 inches, but I have a 10 gallon hot water tank and maybe that's why. Do not go by what you find in the tank since it will often shrink in size like it's supposed to. I hope you checked the make and model number of the water heater and ordered using that.

As Jimcol mentioned prior, check the fuses or if working only on electric, I believe it uses a 110v power source, check the circuit breaker power panel. If this doesn't do it, depending on your model water heater check the water heater function by turning on the propane ball valve at the water heater (your heater may vary), then try the propane method.

I don't know if this applies to all models but our water heater has a small red light in addition to the lighted toggle switch. If this is lit, then the water heater needs to be reset. The reset buttons are located at the water heater. There will be TWO black rubber covers. Press BOTH of these at the same time (do not remove the covers). However, I think this is for the propane, so I'm not sure this will solve your problem.

Let us know what else you find and we'll try and help out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Some times people mix up nomenclature of parts. What we refer to as the anode rod is the part that protects your tank from eroding. Instead of the tank being eaten away by the bad things in the water, the rod gets eaten away. This rod has nothing to do with whether or not the tank heats the water. I suspect you might be thinking of the electric element (which some have wrongly referred to as an anode some time back) going bad. This does happen. If your fuses are good and the switches are all set to the right positions, then I would suspect this electric element. I don't believe it's too difficult to replace.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Kegger
Orv is right about the Anode rod, it is a sacrifical material that is eaten up instead of the metal in your tank. It starts as a rod that is about 1" in dia. and has a large nut to remove it, I think a 7/8" nut, and no wires. It will shrink to less than 1/8", but I would change it long before that.
The heating elements are about 3/16" in dia. and is usually held in by 2-3 small bolts. It uses 120 volts and can be bought at any hardware store.
Use a tester to see if there is any voltage across the two wires. If there is then the rod is bad. You will know it is bad when you take it out.

Good luck
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You can set your meter to ohms and touch the leads on the heating element where the wires connect to it (remove the wires first). If you don't get a reading, the element is bad.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
Thanks for the input have been out of town, so will work on it this afternoon. I have checked the breaker and it has not popped and have not tried the propane yet since I need to clean out flame tube that has some debris in it.
I will check the resets (2 black plugs) and the element with an ohm meter, will let you know what I find.
Thanks again,
Kim (kegger)
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
UPDATE Well did get the propane tube cleaned out and the gas side work. Did pull the switch out and checked it, all ok, then used an ohm meter on the element, disconnected the power wire (with breaker off) and check the element screw to screw for a complete circuit, then each screw to tank (looking for short) and no reading which is good. Reconnected the wires to the element turned on the breaker to check power to the element (110v) and nothing.... pushed on the switch and bingo the tank started to heat up, so answer was the switch we bad. Replaced it and all is good, I have hot water on electric again.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
Not having the anode won''t cause no hot water. Try using the gas to heat the water. Also make sure you have power to the heater and to the heating element. Elements do go bad I've replaced mine not a big deal to do and they are pretty standard.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote