Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #21
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
According to the manufacturer the holes should be at 3 or 9 NOT at 6 or 12. There is less side pressure than up and down pressure. I only have one bolt not taking any grease and that is on the rear spring hanger. I believe that was caused by the bushing being constricted by the spring itself. We had to press the bushings into my spring ends and we didn't have a ream at the time and I am going to try and borrow one and clean out the tight bushing... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #22
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
I chamfered all exit grease holes, installed with exit holes at 3 and 9 oclock and did not have to ream the bushing holes as fit was good. Also placed grease zerks facing outward and have no problems greasing unit from outside on all zerks. I did tack weld each extreme front and extreme rear shackle bolt to ensure it would not turn in the shackle hanger. My tires do not get in the way and allow enough room for the grease gun fitting. You must use a flex hose off the gun and not the rigid tube. Easier to grease shackles with slides in on the 3400RL. One shot on each shackle bolt does the trick as grease extrudes out each side of bushing.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Tony, John Kohl and I put ours on facing inward. Before you head south make sure you get a ream, you may not find one down there. I believe John said a 9/16 inch reamer. Take a couple of the bronze bushings with you when you go to buy the ream. After you get them installed (the bushings) make sure the zerk bolts fit easily through the bushings, if not then oil and run the ream through. We found that the biggest problem area was on the spring ends, some springs have tighter curls on the ends than others and tend to squish the bushings a bit... Dave
Living in Puerto Vallarta since 1992, I built a huge work shop and storage area for all my toys. I have also brought down every tool a marine and auto mechanic could ever used. I have the reamers. Thanks for the advice, I'll face the zerks to the inside. If you ever come south for the winter look me up.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote