Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
ChuckandKathy
Established Member

M.O.C. #8377
door lock

I am locked in our fifth wheel today! Hubby locked the bottom lock on the door and I can't open it from the inside. I cannot get the window by the table opened, it seems to be stuck! I thought if I could open it, I could reach the door and unlock it with my key.
Has anyone else had this problem with their door or is ours defective?
I would think you should be able to open it from the inside, regardless of which lock is locked. This is the second time this has happened!

ChuckandKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Been there done that, it is rather annoying.

Can you get to the lock/handle mechanism from the inside and take screws out?? If so, I believe the door will open.

First time this happened to us, we were able to do a fix, but the second time the lock was DOA, and was replaced.

The info for re-ordering is on the inside of the door handle assembly.

Anyone around you can toss that key to?? Out another window??

Take a deep breath, if you can, it is rather annoying, OK, it is VERY annoying. Maybe someone else has some other ideas.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As long as the fridge is stocked, the TV functions, the recliner isn't broken and the water to the toilet flush works, I'm OK until the wife comes home from work. No panic for me...

My wife has used the basement laundry door to get in after our 1 yr old grandson locked the door from the inside (love that pretty red lever) when my wife stepped outside to get a broom - wasn't 30 seconds. She was absolutely astounded. She called me on her cell (luckily she had that on her) and I explained to her how MOCers (and thieves) get into the our Montanas on just such an occasion...

*On Edit ~ As Carol mentioned, always have a screw driver INSIDE the Montana in a drawer somewhere. Another little bugger is that bathroom doorknob. But that's another topic...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave, you know that bathroom is NOT a problem

JUST NEVER SHUT THE DOOR ALL THE WAY!

That is my story and I am sticking to it, well, at least the door ain't stickin!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
ChuckandKathy
Established Member

M.O.C. #8377
We are still under warranty and I will add this to my list. Waited for neighbor to come out, but she never showed her face! My dog had to cross her legs and wait. My brother in law came and rescued me! I did take off the door mechanism, but I still could not get it!

Of course my brother in law reminded me that I could have climbed out the window!
Thank you for your input!
ChuckandKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If you are having trouble with door lock, I would not be waiting for a dealer to fix it. CountryGuy changed ours IN the parking lot of a dealer, about 30 minutes or so. Since we could not open the door from the inside we had to sleep with the screen door closed, main door open. That was sorta out of my comfort zone!

Course if hubby stops locking you in, you may not need a dealer at all!

Glad you are out, I have been watching the thread, now I can go have my lunch.

Bet you are glad you are out too, and I am sure the fur kid is REALLY GLAD!!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
MOC members are probably not close to you, but we can summon help quickly if needed. Another nice thing about this forum.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckandKathy

I am locked in our fifth wheel today! Hubby locked the bottom lock on the door and I can't open it from the inside. I cannot get the window by the table opened, it seems to be stuck! I thought if I could open it, I could reach the door and unlock it with my key.
Has anyone else had this problem with their door or is ours defective?
I would think you should be able to open it from the inside, regardless of which lock is locked. This is the second time this has happened!
Yes, this happened to us just recently after living in this thing for almost nine years! It's the way the lock is designed; it's not a malfunction. No problem; when I got home I let her out.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
happened to use too. Wife locked the door at night and when she came to bed she said the locked felt funny. So next morning i get up to let the dogs out and I can't get the door open. So I get my screw driver and take the inside of the lock apart. still can't open it. So I put it back together and grabbed the key and out through the window I went. Told the DW I'll have you out in a minute. Put the key in and nothing. I was like what the @$^^&*. Told the DW to take the inside apart again and i pried the whole thing out of the door. When I did it fell apart. But I got my wife and the dogs out. I don't know who was happier the wife or the dogs. I gathered up all the pieces and managed to get it all back together. Finally here's what happened. There is a plate with 3 screws in it to hold the parts in place. The screws came loose and let the rod that works the lock/ bolt fall out of the hole. So no matter what was tried nothing inside the lock moved.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Kevin, that sure sounds like what happened to us the first time. (Second time was a total all and all out failure)

We managed to salvage the first door lock by putting some silicone UNDER that rod, holding it up in place and functional.

Sorry they ever replaced that lock!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow Swanny, is that another thing to add for our maintenance checks amongst U-bolt nuts, wheel torquing, hitch bolts, and underbody cover screws? Now we add door hardware screws.

Sheesh. Is there a volunteer to make a list of every bolt/nut/screw/fastener/latch that we should check regularly? Not! Let us not forget that our Montys are traveling earthquakes and are shaken loose all the time. It's easier to belong to the MOC and fortunately we can live and learn from the experiences of members.

Without this topic I never would have realized this potential problem!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
It does seem like one thing after another. BUT little by little it will all be good or time to start again!!!! The screws that came loose are on the inside. It's a silver plate with three screws. When it's off it exposes the inside of the lock
Old 08-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
On a side note. Going out through the window is not real easy. I guess if fire was pushing you it would be different. But my point is if your older or over weight (sorry) it might still be tough. HAVE A PLAN NOW!!!!!, head first? feet first? do you need help even getting to the window if that's the only way out. I did it but, i still needed time to figure it out. Time you may not have!!!!!
Also what's under your window that you are going to fall on? PREPARE NOW HAVE A PLAN.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Swanny. You bring up an excellent consideration. On our rig the sink is next to the door, then the stove/oven comes next. The furnace is on the other side of the door exit. Finally the fridge is across from the door. Other than the fireplace in the Living Room and the power, batter connections and the propane lines running throughout the rig, these could be terrible places for a fire since they are AT THE FRONT DOOR. And guess what. You need to get to the front door to get to the fire extinguisher in our rig.

How many of us actually have an escape plan that includes tools and gadgets that we can consider for each others' escape plans? This sounds like a huge problem to solve with our physical makeup, health conditions, age, floor plans and emergency exits. With a locked door becoming a problem in itself, this is a topic in itself.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
When we were locked in Tana in New Orleans, I told CountryGuy, I am NOT going out that fire escape, unless we really are burning! Kevin has a good point, have a plan. And, it is not easy to get out those windows, especially when you are in a panic.

Another idea, this is what we did in New Orleans, set off the truck alarm. We were inside with one of the 4 fur kids. The other three were in Big Butt in the sun in the heat. Phones were on our hips, but the phone number was in Big Butt. We set off the alarm, when it stopped, we set it off again. And again. Believe the 3rd time was the charm, and the owner came over. We yelled out the window, try to open the door, gently. Worked.

Second time, we actually had the phone number of the campground, called the office, requested someone come spring us! The owners son came down, almost drove away, till we yelled or something. Same thing, opened the door gently, worked. That is the night we spent with the storm door open and horrific storms all around us.

Never a dull moment in this lifestyle, is there?? NOPE!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good info, Swanny. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We just conducted a test on our door locks. Apparently either the locks were changed before we ordered this rig or the problem locks mentioned in this thread had the problem because of the loose screws mentioned or some other problem.

I locked the top lock. Vicki opened the door from inside using the handle. I locked the bottom lock, the deadbolt. That moved the red handle inside to the locked position. Vicki moved it to the unlocked position and then opened the door. So why is ours different?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I had this happen to me a year ago. Just as Swanny describe with the three screws.
The way I corrected the problem was to remove the three screws and apply Lock Tite on them and have had no problem since.
BTW this cure was suggested by Exnavydiver!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote