Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Upgrade to Disc Brakes

I have a 2009(October) 3665RE Monty. I do have 7,000 lb axles. I was wondering how difficult it is to change out the drum brakes to disc. I am hoping I can do the job myself. I have done brakes on many vehicles in the past. I pull with a Gas Engine and the engine braking is very limited. My biggest concern is braking. Do I need to change axles or just the hubs ?

Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
I really cannot help you on your question. I just wanted to tell you that is a great picture. Where was that taken at? Be safe! John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Picture was taken at Deep Lake Unit, inside of the Yankee Springs Rec Area. It is located just west of Hastings, MI. We love rustic camping and much prefer it over the modern campsites. We hold 150 gals of fresh water, so that covers me for 2 to 3 weeks. 1 to 2 nights if the Wife comes along.

Wayne
Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL Wayne, (yours and my wife went to the same water usage school)... I can't help with disc brakes either, but that is a fantastic picture. I hope that person in back was with you or very patient!

To not get a post from the stay-on-the-topic forum police on the brakes, check with the dealer if that model of trailer had disc brakes available for it as an option, then you might be able to make a parts comparison then order the parts you need.

Hopefully someone else will be along that can be of better help.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I read an article in Trailer Life 06 or earlier about doing just that. Running the hydraulic lines and installing the electric to hydraulic pump are the bigger issues for me.
If you have not looked at this DEXTER AXLE site it may answer some of your questions.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As mentioned, trailer life had an article on it a few years back. Additionally, Dexter and Mor-Ryde both sell upgrade kits -- includes new backing plates, lines, hydraulic over electric master cylinder, etc... I had my unit upgraded at Trailaire 2 years ago next month and love the disc brakes.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Thanks for the info.

Decided to have MorRyde do it while we are at the rally. Disc brake kit and wet kit. They have an 8 lug kit.

Thanks for the help

Wayne
Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wschep, Be sure when Morryde folks secure your new hydraulic fluid resevoir, they don't screw it into one of your tanks. When they put mine on they put a screw into the gray tank and I had to have Keystone replace that tank. Just for what it's worth....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Phil (exav8tr): Funny you would just post that. My trailer is going into the shop next weekend to have the fresh water tank replaced. I think that the installer on my disc brake upgrade put a screw into that tank when they ran the brake lines back to the axles . Took a year but now drips and is getting worse.... Will know in just over a week if that is the cause or not.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote