Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Twotogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8339
Leaking slide

We have a 3500RL. Originally all four slides leaked at the outer flange whenever it rained. I've been able to stop the leaks on all but the galley slide. We've had to pull the carpet up and dry the corners with electric heaters. I suspect that I need to remove the rubber tape that was applied to the flange on the roof, seal the flange with sealer then replace the tape over the top.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for removing the old tape? It's on there really good.

I've attempted to seal the edges of the existing tape, but we still get wet carpet under the fridge, along the outer wall and at the opposite corner of the slide from the fridge. I removed the upper and lower outside moldings on the sides of the slides last year and put my hand up inside the wall and found the insulation dripping wet. I found that the factory hadn't sealed the ends of the aluminum moldings well enough and water had traveled in from the ends and into some of the screw holes. I resealed all of these on all four slides and it seems to have helped except for the galley slide. Water still gets inside the walls somehow and I can't find where it's coming from

Twotogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
One other area to check is the outside grill for the Refrigerator. WayneM did a good patch to keep it from allowing water in. Link to post with pictures. You may be on the right track but this might be worth checking.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If it's under warranty, take it back to the dealer. We had a huge leak on the curb side slide...the dealer fixed it right the first time, and it has never leaked since.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have heard of a few years that Keystone was using too narrow of tape and the dealers were installing a wider piece over the top of the existing. I sealed mine along the very outer edges where the tape meets the vertical flange with a high quality sealer from CW (don't remember the name). Mine doesn't leak, but I don't know if that was it or not.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Twotogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8339
It's not under warranty any more and I had the dealer work on it once already. It was an experience I don't want to duplicate. I contacted Montana about it too but didn't get any help from them either. They told me to replace the plywood floor when it finally rots out with waterproof plywood.

I'll take another look at the grills on the outside but so far I haven't seen any water signs in that area. When I fixed the bedroom slide I pulled off the original tape from over the outer flange and it actually came up fairly easily. It had wrinkled leaving little channels where water flowed in under the tape to the flange. Also there was no sealer on the flange itself so the water just ran in. I sealed this with caulk and replaced the old tape with new tape and haven't had any more problems. This worked on the two slides in the living room too. The galley is being stubborn though and I can't head south this year to dry out.
Twotogo is offline   Reply With Quote