Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Brake Issue

Well, when my wife and I were out a couple of weeks ago, she heard a sound coming from the axle when we started out. Well, I told her before we pulled out to come home we would check it out. Low and behold, a sound. Sounded like scraping from the brakes. Took it to the shop and a 65 cent retaining spring broke and something (sorry guys this is not my bag) dropped down and began to rub against the hub. To make a long story short, $400+ to get it fixed. Have to order parts tomorrow from Keystone and then put it all together. I will get it back just in time to leave again for a CPE teaching stint and a convention after that. A nice four days away with my wife. Lucky my problem was discovered and not causing greater damage on this next trip. It will be around 700 miles round trip.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glad you got it fixed in a down time. It would have been tough to have to get it fixed in the middle of a trip. Happy RVing.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Better to have the little things fixed then to find them a bigger problem later on. Especially since this one could affect your safety. Good job the DW did in detecting and notifying and for you listening to her. I know that $400 is a considerable amount now a days, but consider the gain you have in safety.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have learned to listen to my wife. She is usually right on the mark. There was a down side in that when I shared with her what the problem was, she told me she had heard it for the last couple of trips as we have pulled out. You would be proud of me because I didn't say anything, just praised her for hearing the sound a and letting me know so we could get it checked out. We will be heading out again next Friday. Final cost for the fix was $492. The tech called me today and said he had no idea where the parts came from but he ordered them last night and they were on his doorstep this morning so he fixed my 5er. Cool, huh? Thought I was going to have to wait a week.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote