Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
awning mountings

The mounting foot to the right of our entrydoor has pulled out. It is held by 2 1/4" lag bolts. I tried re-attaching with 2 5/16" bolts but apparently the wood below the fiberglass has deteriorated somewhat and the 1/16"larger size wasn't sufficient to hold. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did you reattach? I considered drilling the holes to 7/8 or one inch,then inserting a piece of dowling that diameter into the hole,glueing it in,and then reusing the lag bolts.However thought I'd waid to see if someone had a better solution.Appreciate you input.

THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Jerry and Nancy,

The 7/8" plug sounds like a good idea, but I wonder if there is any wood left back there at all ? the plug would have to be attached to something.
Hope someone comes along with the answer.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, that may be tricky to get it to hold, I have repaired cooler doors with the same dilemma, Aluminum over wood in there-somewhere. I have attached a large long pc. of steel to the area attaching the repair pc. above and below the damaged area, that gives support to the foot mounting area that is now 'wallowed out' Then attach the foot to the repair pc.
Should work. paint it white and bevel the edges.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I had problems with mine and I put bolts all the way through the wall. Will try to get a pix tomorrow. Mine is rock solid now.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I had the same problem and after trying everything I could think of I put bolts all the way through the wall using large washers on the inside to provide support. It is very solid now and with a little paint you don't even notice the round bold heads or washers on the inside.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
ok Jerry and Nancy, I have some pixs but you still can't see much.

I was afraid that my awning would come off because the mountings were loose. I used galvananized carraige bolts that I had onhand.

The first pix only shows one bolt since the second is is in the propane compartment. I saturated the hole and bolt with white dicor sealant to prenvent water entry.

The second pix shows two bolts coming through under the kitchen cabinents. Anyway this gives you a general idea of how to fix your loose awning.

Sorry it took so long to post these but I am just finishing another project.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:44 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Tom's fix is the way to go for sure. I will check mine out and probably do the same.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
At least the mounts are rock solid. Before they were both pretty loose and I feared loosing the awning while traveling.

I will probably cut the bolts or replace them with smaller ones.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:52 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Puting bolts through the wall is scary but it makes for a solid mount. I used castle bolts and went from the inside out, cutting off the bolts on the outside. All thats left on the inside is the round bolt head and large washer which can be painted to somewhat match the wall. Its the same idea that lightningjack11 did only the bolts go the other way.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Pete,

Good point. mine are hidden on the inside so the carriage head is outside. Looks good outside.

You just have to do it depending on the individual trailer. But going through the wall makes the strongest repair. After all a couple of bucks and a few hours work may save a 1000 dollar awning.

This also you protects for strong winds because I have seen several times where the brackets have pulled out and ripped the awning right off.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
Thanks for all of you responding. We called the factory and they said they had no record of this happening to anyone else so had no recommendations. I did fix it by using a piece of steel on the inside to insert the bolts. Now I have discovered that the bolts on the upper awning support in the front have also pulled out. Haven't come up with a plan on fixing that one yet. As far as we know we have't had any strong winds so don't know what has caused this problem.
THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I just checked mine and both brackets are rock solid. But if they do loosen I can make the same type repair since the bolts would be hidden in the cabinets.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pete Hanson

Puting bolts through the wall is scary but it makes for a solid mount. I used castle bolts and went from the inside out, cutting off the bolts on the outside. All thats left on the inside is the round bolt head and large washer which can be painted to somewhat match the wall. Its the same idea that lightningjack11 did only the bolts go the other way.
Another way is to use sex bolts we use them all the time for door closer mounting it's another idea to toss around.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975

what is a sex bolt? We need something for storm door in stick house. Wind is bad here.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:20 AM   #15
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
?? Think I am too old for that.