Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Exciting (?) Trailer Life magazine item

Since April and I do not yet have our Montana, I am still in the research / data collection phase (for another few months).
The February 2011 Trailer Life magazine had a new product introduced on page 49, called the GiraffeG4 overhead protection system.
Having driven tractor/trailers I am very aware of the height discrepancies for marked, unmarked and mismarked clearances in many places.
The above item seems to be the answer I was unaware I was praying for.
It uses (sonar?) to measure heights on objects as the driver's mirror goes under the objects. With this, one can very slowly move under an object and see if the trailer will clear, before the trailer gets to the object, giving one time to stop and back out if necessary.
I have the trucker's Garmin (465T) already and am prepared to load the low clearance points to it before we hit the road. I will also have a new version of the Trucker's Atlas I used to live by. BUT, this item seems like it would have plenty of use "just to be sure" in some cases and, in particular, when off the main roads for any reason, like going to a campground, etc.
I plan on contacting them to see how small an object it will detect (tree branches in particular) and to see if the orientation of the object would make a difference.
If it checks out, it would seem the best $200 "insurance" I could get.
Anyone else interested or informed about this product? Any ideas?
Thanks for any responses.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Larry I am interested.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Jim & I just read that article yesterday and was commenting about it. We too are interested and would also like more information.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds interesting, at one time I had considered a big ole whip antenna for the truck's CB radio that I would set the height to coincide with the tallest part of the hitched-up Montana. Something like a front bumper mount or side mount adjustable height antenna. All for the same purpose, I guess the only difference would be the price. Wonder if I patent it and sell a couple million dollars worth if I could retire a little early??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I like that idea, I wonder how far you have to be before it figures out there's gonna be contact. Bingo's method means you'll have to just about stop at the overhang to ensure you have clearance. Then if you don't, now what? Back up? Oh boy! This device would save having to pull over and look for the overhead in your documentation or software to check clearance. It would also cover those low overheads that "just showed up" and aren't in some database that has to be updated.

Kind of like when electronic handheld GPS' first came out. The Faithful always said to bring along a map and compass. My GPS features and mapping are now so good, the map and compass I carry along are a distant backup that typically stays in my pack when I'm hiking and backpacking. Just gotta remember to bring along enough batteries and the handheld is so much more accurate.

Hopefully this becomes so reliable and dependable that it releagates the documentation forms to the back of the rig as well.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Bingo, you need to go to the doctor. You have a bad case of cabin fever.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Art and Indy,
The OP stated that the sonar device reads the height to the object as the driver's side mirror passes under it. I don't think it is intended to be used at highway speeds to measure bridge overpasses. It is not a look ahead device, and if it was I would be very leary about it's accuracy because of the geometries involved. Both are a slow down, make sure, and if it won't fit, back out system. The primary use that I would see is for low hanging branches and unmarked underpasses. Both the sonar and my crude "height detector" antenna would work in exactly the same fashion. Indy, I do acknowledge that I am suffering from cabin fever!! C'mon Spring.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Just kidding with you Bingo, you know specilized carriers that have those oversized vehicle scouts have the similar device attached to their front bumper with an antenna looking device on top.
When I was working for the trucking company, some of the trucks had the Eaton Vorad anti collision device installed and if they were not properly set they said overpasses drove them crazy especally those at the top of a hill. As the truck was going up the hill the beam shot out in front of them and picked up the overpass. If it was interconnect with the cruise control as some of the later models were it would actually slow down. Not good when going up a hill.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I'm interested, watch an rv show last night and they showed it and talked about it. Do I see a group buy in the future? We did a group buy on another site for a TPMS and got a great buy.
Just a thought.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
swanny, I think I saw the same show late last night. It was called RV 2011 on the HGTV channel. DW actually ran into the RV show and I was interested to see the latest in RVness.

The show was mostly about several families' hunts for RV and they tour all types of RVs for each of these families. Interspersed among these reviews of an RV they would show RV products existing and new.

This device was one of the briefly talked about RVer products. A transponder is mounted on the sideview mirror of the TV. Then you program the height of its location, and then program the maximum height of your RV. Then there is panel that displays the maximum you configured. I didn't follow how the panel is mounted, but I think there is a wire from the transponder to the panel probably sitting on the TV's dash. When it measures something lower than the preconfigured maximum height then the height displayed blinks on the panel and an alarm sounds.

What wasn't discussed was how far you had to be from the potential obstruction, or the maximum speed you should be driving. I also didn't catch the website or remember the product name (I should have written it down). Pretty cool so far. It might be a little too early for me to jump on this bandwagon. So I'll have to remain on major roads and avoid lesser roads that might be height limited. Stay safe everybody.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Sounds interesting, at one time I had considered a big ole whip antenna for the truck's CB radio that I would set the height to coincide with the tallest part of the hitched-up Montana. Something like a front bumper mount or side mount adjustable height antenna. All for the same purpose, I guess the only difference would be the price. Wonder if I patent it and sell a couple million dollars worth if I could retire a little early??
Bingo
Bingo, you have a great idea...in either case (antenna or electronics), if we find ourselves stopped at a low overpass, backing out of that situation will provide ample entertainment for the locals. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
There are many laser measureing devices readily available that are used to measure buildings that could be used to measure from a the TV up to the overhead structure. Many real estate professionals use one when measuring houses. A basic unit can be purchased for less than $100 and they are portable. They are typically about the size of a tv remote control. Just hold it out the window from a known point of height on the TV and press the button. In particular I have a Leica Disto A5 that I use at work to measure both interior and exterior distances, and have used it to make sure our Montana will fit. Just-a-thought. Garry
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I also have a point and shoot type distance finder. only drawback I've found is it hard to aim at something during the day. I was trying to get a distance on some overhead wires It was very hard to do.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Thanks for the feedback and ideas from everyone.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote