Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #21
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
I most likely would not buy another fifth wheel again, let alone it being a Montanna or sob. The amount of "upgrading" of suspension, tires and electrical components necessary to make me feel confident pulling has me dissappointed and light in the wallet for sure!

ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #22
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I'll start by looking at Montanas.

We're new to fifth wheels, having owned a motorhome in a prior life. We love the "space" of a fifth wheel.

We haven't seen a floor plan in the new Montanas that we like as much as ours, but when the time comes, we'll likely start shopping at our local Montana dealer.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We were in Alaska when we bought ours. We looked at Jayco and found one we liked, however, the dealer would not "deal" so we said adios (among some other words). I then saw another RV dealer, (Keystone), on the way home from work one day and stopped in. Walked in this model and called the wife immediately. She came down, looked around, liked it and said "buy it", so like a good husband, I did. This was our first, and probably, our only RV. We have pulled from Alaska to Florida, and Maine to California. We feel we have gotten our moneys worth out of this unit, although, I did have to put quite a bit more into it to make it livable. If I had to do it again, I would look around more, not saying I would not buy another Montana, but we are not the kind to go to RV shows and look around, just to be looking. We decided that we could not do any better than this, for the money. I think it is important to select a brand that has dealerships countrywide as you will probably need much support if you travel alot. We have not had many of the problems as some others have had, except with the Chinese made tires, which we finally got out of last year (see signature). Of course we headed off the suspension problems by going to the MorRyde Independent Suspension, which, in my opinion, is a very worthwhile option if you travel alot, costly, but worth it, in my opinion.

My advice would be to shop around and pick a floor plan, then pick a brand, for, as richfaa says, they are all pretty much the same in this price point area. If you do not pick a floor plan you really like, you will not be satisfied. I think any production RV will have similar problems as many of the parts are the same and they are all competing for the $$$$$.

How's that for not answering your question? It's not just a yes or no thing. Don't get me wrong, we have been very happy with our unit, maybe because we have nothing else to compare it with. Maybe we just don't mind tinkering with it. I have an '06 and am getting the black tank replaced soon. My only MAJOR problem in 4 years. I would also suggest an extended warranty for however long you plan on keeping it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

Good Luck with whatever choice you make!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
I will let you know after the manufacture fixes all our major problems at the Pendleton factory in April.

Gary
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #25
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
We have had two Montanas and would buy another. Best bang for the buck.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Yes, I would buy another Montana. However I would insist on a full body paint instead of decals. We have a 2005 3500RL and this summer will be our sixth season in it. We spend 6 months a year in ours and have had very few problems. Because of the MOC I have been able to be proactive in fixing any problems.
Good luck in what ever you decide.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We surely would buy another Montana if we ever got another. This is already our second. We liked our first so well that we never even looked at another brand. Montana has taken real good care of us. Attend a National MOC Rally in Goshen and you would see why so many return to Montana.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #28
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trabuco

Value for the price, number of problems you have dealt with, quality, fit and finish.
Ken & Roxanne
We have considered this statement each and every time we have purchased and we are currently on our 3rd Montana. Sure there have been some minor problems to deal with but certainly none different than our friends and acquaintances that own other brands. This forum has been another reason we continue to come back to the Montana line. We have solved some problems with advice from others on this forum as well we have avoided many other problems because of all the information we have gleaned from our time here!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #29
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We are on the second one now. I would look at others but probably still buy a Montana.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #30
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Yes, without a doubt. You can see in my bio what we have gone through since about 1968 when I purchased my first "RV". The Montana has had a few minor glitches, as does anything man made will have, but these were repaired with no problem. The dealer you choose, as has been mentioned, does make a big difference in your satisfaction.
Good luck and hope to see you down the road.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #31
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
NO, we would not buy another Montana. Have had way too many major problems with our current one.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #32
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
When G and I went looking for a new trailer, G already knew what floor plan she wanted, we didnt know a thing about the company Keystone or the brand Montana. also we are not a new rv'ers been doing it snece the early 70's, so we soerta knew what we were looking for in a RV, Im not saying that we didnt have any issues but they were taken care of, all except for one which was a decal issue but it did not hamper the RV's funtionality of the unit so I dont care any more about them.
Would I buy a new Montana? but of corse, I would also order the next one without decals. or a option of painted graffics.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #33
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Yes we would purchase another Montana. This is our first, but we are happy and have had few problems. We checked other brands and have found them to all have their problems. We have friends who have a brand from a small manufacturer (do not want to name)that produces far fewer 5th wheels, who have had issues with their 5th wheels like all brands. We do need to remember that these are "houses" rolling down the highways. As we all must do, we need to find the most value for the money we have to spend. RV'ing is a unique way to travel. We have heard the stories from the $1m Prevost to the pop-ups.

So, to participate we all take the plunge in whatever we want to travel in, 5th wheel, trailer, pop-up, Class A, Class b, or Class C.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #34
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
We are on our second Montana, and have only had a few minor issues, and yes, we would probably buy another one.
Like has been said, ALL manufacturers have issues in some way or another.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #35
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We are still on our first Montana but if we were going to get another one; we would be looking at the Montana’s!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #36
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We have had too many problems to even consider another Montana. In fact we just bought another brand and will take delivery on the llth.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #37
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
If you will go on SOB web sites like MOC you will find the same problems we have with Montana's. I have an 06, bought it new and it is working just fine for me with few minor problems. And I intend to keep it for a few more years. Now if I need another one after that then the Montana dealer would be the first place I looked. They are man made in a hurry like everything else and most components are found in other other RV's and they fail the same in them as they do in Montana's. So no matter what the name says on the outside I would go floor plan,price, dealer service and momma's happy.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #38
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
We tried not to, but after shopping for a year, we decided to purchase a second Montana last year. We have been camping for 25 years from tents, pop-ups, TT, and two Montana 5th wheels. For the value, Montana remains a solid choice in the $50K +/- price range. I would have loved to moved up to the DRV with it's higher end underpinnings (Electric disk brakes, hydro landing gear, etc) but the added $25-30K to get there was just not worth it.

Sure Montana's have all the typical RV problems. Service is hit-or-miss. Quality from the factory is so-so. Some parts are of lower quality than I would like (tires for example) however dealing with all that is an industry norm, not a Montana (or Keystone for that matter) exclusive problem. RV ownership and enjoyment comes with that price. When people ask about RVing, our vehicle choices, etc, I normally start with the advise, the RV lifestyles is great if you love adventure, the occasional surprise on the road, AND the enjoyment of fixing and learning to maintain an RV and tow vehicle as part of it all. Relax, enjoy, and embrace the problems you will encounter with patience and a fun attitude.

tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #39
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
We are on our second Montana also. But I looked at several other brands before buying my current Montana. My goal was to get teh best product available for my budget. It was the price and floorplan that led me back to Montana. I will say I had a lot of issues the first year - mostly minor, but that required multiple trips back to my dealer. This is probably no different than any other RV make. I will definitely consider Montana again if there is ever a 3rd 5er.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #40
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
We are on our second RV, 1st Montana. Would I buy another Montana? Yes. Will I? Most likely not. This is not due to anything Keystone/Montana has or has not done, it is due to how we currently use our RV and how we anticipate using the RV in the future as we head down the road to long time/full time use of a RV. I know several here long time/full time in their Montana's and are very happy with them. We are happy with our Montana but are looking for more than Montana and most other RVs offer for our next rig.

We have had our Montana for 2 seasons now. Over the past 2 years we have averaged 10k miles on the unit each year and 50 nights a year in the unit. The Montana has served us well and I anticipate it will continue to serve us well until we decided it is time to step up to our next unit, but I think that is still another 6-8 years in to our future.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote