Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Back from the Cape

Just spent three weeks at the Cape and came home Friday afternoon. weather was great and the only thing we can complain about was they shut down the over the road beach trail due to nesting plovers, this stop all activity of 4 wheeling to the beach for swimming and fishing. What hurts is that a permit cost $180.00 for the season, got four days in before the nest hatched. Closure is for 26 days. Good thing about it is that were going back in September for 5/6 weeks. Both the natives and the visitors are very upset over this, one for revenue and the other for vacation. No wonder I see signs around that say plovers taste like chicken.

My other big adventure was the return trip home last Friday afternoon. Truck lost it's fan belt due to a bum water pump and there I was doing 60 miles a hour with no brakes or power steering. I was able to get off a ramp by literal standing on the brakes and muscle the steering wheel. Came across the intersection through a red light with smoke billowing from the hood and into a Burger King restaurant. What to do now, Friday afternoon four o clock on a holiday week end. Found a mechanic on the third try who came out and said he could get the belt but the water pump would have to wait for tomorrow. Well to make the story short he fixed the truck the following day and said when we pick it up the keys would be under the mat with the bill. Sent it to him when you get the chance. How many people do you find like that, he is one in a million and he makes this life so great. Also the person leaning over my shoulder guiding me to safely get the truck and trailer off the road in one piece is the greatest. He is always there for you and boy did I sure need him then.
Jon

Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
WOW, what an adventure. Your guardian angel was working overtime!! So glad you are safe and everything is in one piece. Isn't it amazing how people come through for you. Take care and continue to have safe travels...
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Jon, Our water pump started to go bad 300 miles from the NE Rally in PA and broke our fan belt. We just made it off the next exit and Samuel had another fan belt and someone helped him put it on. Then because he forgot to put water in, it heated up real bad and we got off at the next exit. There we got water put in and drove the next 300 miles to the Rally. Friday AM a local garage put in a new water pump at the tune of $430.00. He wouldn't take credit cards, but because we had $200 in cash, he took the rest in a check. Here he didn't know us from Adam, but did the job and trusted us for the check to be good.

I really believe God likes us Montana travel owners. He sure does take care of us all the time.

Glad your experience turned out as good as ours.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Oh, I am homesick for Cape Cod! Roy and I met there in 1964 when he was at Otis AF base and I was at the college in Hyannis. Lots of family still back there and we hope to make that one of our first long trips when I retire. We have come to love the wide open spaces and beaches of Oregon with no permits needed, etc., but there is something about Cape Cod.
Nancy
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Roy and Nancy
Boy do I like the sound of no permits, it must be great with no toll gate keepers. The Cape has it's own charm, the biggest disappointment to a lot of visitors is that they do not get off the main road and explore, I guess that is true to were ever you go. You guys have a great time in the great Northwest and sometime in the future you will make that trip back East for a visit.
Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
A lot of the people who settled here in Oregon came from Mass - thus we have Ashland, Medford, Salem, etc. They had the insight to make all our beaches open and free. There are NO private beaches in this state. You can often walk on a beach and see no one else. When we were last in Mass it was difficult to find a place to enjoy the beach. That is a shame. We hope the back roads of New England have not changed that much or we will be really disappointed.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Jon & Jo Ann
Glad everything turned out alright. Must have had an angel setting on your shoulder. We are in Uxbridge, Ma. for the summer working for the USACE at the West Hill Dam and Park. We have a lot of fun drive the roads just to see what the country is. This is our second year and plan on goiing to the Cape and Martha's vineyard before we leave. These will probably be day trips. May not be the best way to see the Cape, however it is the best we can do at this time. We will be here until about the 13 of Sept. then head for the Fall Rally in Indiana, then home. This is beautiful country up here, however I will let you keep the May fly's or whatever u call them. Outch, they bite. Glad to hear from someone up in this area. Richard & Nell
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote