Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Adventure Begins.

Well, I thought I would post a little of our adventure. We have been living full time in the Tana since May 25th and haven't left Anchorage yet. We are still waiting for our awning fabric to come in and have the dealer install it. This should take place Tues or Wed. Hopefully we will be "on the road" Wednesday afternoon. We will head north to Talkeetna and then on to Fairbanks. If everything rides ok and there are no dealer issues, we will leave AK from Fairbanks and make our way south from there. We will be spending July and August with my sister and niece in Western and central Oregon. Then leave Or for CA the first of sept to visit more relatives. I will post our CG's as we firm up reservations and sure would welcome visit from other MOC'ers. We are confirmed for the LOW conference in Moscow, ID in early July and the Redmond rally in July.

It is definitely an adjustment going from a 2400 Sq Ft home to a 400 sq ft home. Our dog, a golden, doesn't seem to know where to lay. Seems like every where he lays we need to be. I'm sure he will get used to it faster than us.

Haven't been able to weigh the unit yet since we moved in, but will try when we pull it to the dealers lot. Hopefully we have been conservative with what we have put in it. Not sue what we could dispose of it need be.

We cleared out our storage unit and sent everything left to son in Phoenix. Figured it would be easier to recover from down there than have to drive back up here. This has severed all ties with Anchorage, except for mail forwarding service....

Except for awning cover and bent awning arm (yep, my bad), all has been going fine. Getting used to all systems and figuring out what elect things to use at same time. Seems like everything is on the "kitchen" breaker. What's up with that?

Have elected to use a double filter system for water plus an undersink filter for drinking water and ice. I know alot of folks use bottled water and maybe we will also some day. Want to watch the weight right now.

I must say that this forum has helped us tremendously so far, and, I suspect, will continue to do so in the future. My thanks to all who have answered my questions individually and to those who continue to post their expertise and experiences.

By the way, at the CG we're at, there a a total of 4 Montanas. One was a MOCer, (although the spouse couldn't remember there screen name) and the other two had never heard of us before, well they do now. Hopefully they will join and can partake in our forum.

That's probably enough for now, will write again later.

A famous line from Hill Street Blues comes to mind: "Let's all be careful out there".

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations! Many of us can relate to your comments about adjusting to downsizing. It even brought a smile to my face. We know exactly what you mean. Believe it or not, before long it will become the 'normal' to you to live in that much space. Even your dog will adjust.

There are, in my opinion, too many things on that single kitchen circuit, including the refrigerator. You might shut down the breaker on that circuit and see whether you have any outlets in that neighborhood that are on a different circuit. There usually is at least one.

Good luck. I hope we cross paths with you folks one of these days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
PParamore My wife and I have been living in our montie 3485SA since May 17th and the same is true of us we are still here in southern Oregon. As soon as my 1940 Deluxe Ford Coupe sells, I get my New 07 1 ton Tv. We are on our way to Lost Lake in the Olympia National Forest. Could be a while? All is good with the montana the dealer called last Friday 6-1-07 said their was a recall on the back tail light sockets and we need to come by and have them replaced, I didn't ask what the problem they make. I asked if I could have a dealer in Washington take care of it he said yes. Anyway LOL on your getting on the road. Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went 112 days in our 400 square foor 3400 and adapted very well..plenty of room. When we returned to our @2100 square foot stick house we thought we were in a cathedral.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Phil, you are almost there. I remember when you first said that you were anxiously waiting to hit the road.

Keep us posted on your travels. Hopefully, we'll meet if you pass through the Spokane area.

Travel safe.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:22 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Phil and Cathy,

We've been fulltiming since October. You will continue to go through your "stuff" and find things that you don't need, and stuff that needs to be replaced with something more appropriate to living in a small space. Keep an open mind to new ways of doing things, we've been surprised with what we need and what we do not need. This life is a fulltime learning experience.

Second, take your time! You schedule looks pretty tight. One of the toughest issues we had in the beginning was to slow down and NOT have a schedule if possible. Try to make people live up to your schedule, not theirs...you'll be able to travel at a much more leisurely pace.

Looking forward to seeing you this summer.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, our real journey has begun. Pulled about 130 miles yesterday north to Mat Su RV park, just 20 miles south of Talkeetna. Will be here until Friday, then make the pull to Fairbanks, about 260, I believe. Only prob so far is the chucking, must look into a different hitch or hitch pin when we get to WA. Can't figure the brake controller out yet either. Anyone have the voyager model and can enlighten me, otherwise the Prodigy goes on when I get to WA.

Set up here was a breeze, took about 30 minutes. The one board under one wheel works great Orv. Perfectly level. I did install the bed saver before I left my las CG and could have sold a couple if I had been in the business. One old timer had done the truck crunch thing once before and was ordering a bed saver as we were leaving.

Dealer replaced awning and fixed bent rod. Works fine now. No other problems to report, everything working fine. DW loves the Apollo so far.

Will stop at CW in WA to have some goodies added on, must make appointment today....
All for now, wil srite again later.

Phil
Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Congrats Phil & Cathy,
Well there ain't a whole lot I can add that the above full timers haven't already said.
For us the biggest hurtle was the down sizing but today we can look back and laugh at the sentimental value we placed on "stuff". Even after 3 1/2 years full timing we still find "stuff" that we just couldn't get rid of as unnecessary baggage and I doubt the two of you will be any different. Back in the summer and early fall of 2003 we developed a plan. That plan went like this..
Step one, If we haven't used it in 6 months out it goes.
Step two, If we haven't used it in 3 months it becomes a thing of our past.
Step three, If we haven't used it in the past 30 days it's outta here.
Step four, While loading the Monty anything we were not firmly attached to was consider unnecessary weight.
Step five, Continues today yet.
About the only items that didn't fit into the above steps was seasonal and funeral/wedding clothing but even there we trimmed back. We kept 2 outfits for what we call funeral or wedding appearances. We also kept one winter coat and foot wear along with lighter spring/fall wear. Because of the changes in funeral/wedding attire over the years we are about to take a more serious look at those clothes. The first thing I'm getting rid of are the ties and dress shirts.

Enough about us, now back to you folks. For3 years I also had trouble with figuring out my Voyager. This past January I solved all the Voyager problems by getting a Prodigy and I love it.

Keep us all informed of your travels.
Can't wait to finally meet you folks in Redmond.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Hi Phil and Kathy, If you come through Chico, CA there is a nice RV park here in town and my sis and I would be pleased to have you for dinner.

We are leaving tomorrow am for our maiden voyage in our new 07 3075 with a Dodge 3500 mega cab tv. Just a short run down to my see my sons in Paso Robles about 360 miles each way.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Phil and Cathy,

We've been fulltiming since October. You will continue to go through your "stuff" and find things that you don't need, and stuff that needs to be replaced with something more appropriate to living in a small space.

Shoot, after four plus years we're still doing those things!

Keep an open mind to new ways of doing things, we've been surprised with what we need and what we do not need. This life is a fulltime learning experience.

Agree with Robbie on this.

Second, take your time! You schedule looks pretty tight. One of the toughest issues we had in the beginning was to slow down and NOT have a schedule if possible. Try to make people live up to your schedule, not theirs...you'll be able to travel at a much more leisurely pace.

I think getting out of "vacation mode," the excitement of finally getting to hit the road and wanting to see as much as possible in a short time, is typical of most who start the fulltiming experience. I know it took us several months, maybe a year, to slow down. And our life became so much more enjoyable when we finally slowed down.

Looking forward to seeing you this summer.
I hope we also will have the opportunity to meet you folks, Phil and Cathy, as well as everyone else.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Second, take your time! You schedule looks pretty tight. One of the toughest issues we had in the beginning was to slow down and NOT have a schedule if possible. Try to make people live up to your schedule, not theirs...you'll be able to travel at a much more leisurely pace.

I think getting out of "vacation mode," the excitement of finally getting to hit the road and wanting to see as much as possible in a short time, is typical of most who start the fulltiming experience. I know it took us several months, maybe a year, to slow down. And our life became so much more enjoyable when we finally slowed down"

This is the greatest advise there is..We are longtimers and I remember that post by Sreve S a long time ago. Forget Schedules..When we pull out of here in the AM we have no idea where we will spend the night or how far we will travel that day. We will be at a FCRV rally In Colorado July 5th,, We have some ideas as to what we would like to do and see but no schedule.. See you on the road...and take it slow...you have plenty of time..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Phil and Cathy glad your journey has begin. We know you have been looking forward to this for sometime. Hope it is everything you have planned for it to be.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. We are sitting in the Chena Marina RV Park in Fairbanks. Ab out 280 miles on the road today. Piece of cake so far. Booked a FHU site here and they tried to put me in one with elec and h20 only. I said no that I wanted what I reserved or I go elsewhere. They found a site with FHU's.

My schecule is tight because I am RV'ing with my sister and niece until 2 sept, then we are on our own. I do plan on slowing down then. My sister has looked forward to this day also. She is a long time long timer and wants to show me Oregon. After the LOW confwrence in Moscow, ID, we make our way to the RALLY in Redmond. then off to the coast with sis, up the coast, then Portland, then Bend, then adios Sis.

Will post CG's as we travel and hope to meet as many MOC'ers as possible.

Will write more later....

Phil
Old 06-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Report from Haines Junction, Yukon Territory. Arrived about 4:30 today and have checked into Kluane RV Kampground. FHU plus 30 amp. Nice place, right on the Alaska Highway. Tomorrow, or the next day, will head for Whitehhorse and sped a couple days there before heading to Liard Hot Springs. Today was not without incident. Developed a slow leak in left rear tire of Monty. My Doran pressure monitor caught the leakage and alerted me. Worked just like they said. Watched it leak down from 80 psi to 57. Stopped and sure enough was going flat. Changed tire on side of road, Thank god I bought a bottle jack before leaving Anchorage. Not sure why Keystone doesn't provide some sort of jacking device, but what the hey.

Had the tire repaired, BUT, the repairman suggested I use it for a spare only until I can purchase a new one. Puncture was at the border of the sidewall and tread. Any suggestions on warranty service for these tires??????

DW wants a shelf installed in WD closet, will do this tomorrow.

That's all for now, the journey continues......

Phil & Cathy
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Phil and Cathy, congratulations on the big step. We know you will enjoy this new adventure. It sure is a thrill to hit the open road, knowing you can go where and when you want. We hope to see you on the road sometime. We wish you all the very best and the safest of journeys. Life is good rving.
barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, yesterday was exciting, thought I was losing the turbo in my truck, could barely make it up an 8% grade. Checked the air filter in Toad River, British Columbia and it looked pretty bad. I did not have another and was 100 miles from nearest big town. Cleaned old filter as well as I could and made it to Fort Nelson the next day. While there we had the air and fuel filter replaced. That did it, runs fine now. I would strongly suggest carrying extras. I just forgot I guess.

Anyway, we have survived the Alaska Highway as we are now in Dawson Creek, BC, which is the beginning, or in our case, the terminus, of the AlCan hiway. Will stay here today and tomorrow and pull out Sunday. 878 miles over last two days. Sometimes you have to do the long haul thing because of lack of places to stay.

Will write more later.

Phil and Cathy
Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
another blow out on the Monty yesterday. Tire man could not find out reason, but inside sideway was coming apart. Will talk to Keystone thru Foleys in Washington, on Wednesday. Had to buy a new tire in Prince George. $214. a Chinese brand called Franklin. Did not want totravel without a spare. That's two tires gone in 2600 miles. Hopefully Keystone will honor their road warranty on these tires.....Bottom curtain holder came out, repaired. day portion of the day night curtain slid out of track. Foley's said they will fix if they have time. End of supplied 50 amp power cord is coming loose, Will ask for another. Other than tires, this has been apretty uneventful trip. Appollo is working good and DW loves it.

Currently in Hope, BC, near the WA border. Will cross the border Wed morning on my way to CW. More to come...

Phil

a
Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #18
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Phil & Cathy, we will be in Bend, OR from 29 Aug to 5 Sept visiting family. If you will be there then, we will be staying at the Crown Villa Resort (our one big splurge), and maybe we could get together. We've been living in our rig full-time since 14 May and actually leave here on Monday, 25 June, to start our full-timing chapter. Hope to meet you on the road! Take care.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, We have been at Camping World in Burlington WA since Wednesday. Had an appt for 8:00 am. I even called the day before to confirm and tell them we may be a little late. They suggested we get here right at 8:00 or chance losing our place in line. We left Canada at 5:30 to be here at 8 and they didn't start working on our rig until Thurs. They told me when I scheduled our work that it would take two days. We have now been here 4 and will not be able to leave until tomorrow. Once we got here they looked at our work order and figured 24 hours of labor. I am not a happy camper at this point. Could not get inverter installed as they did not order all the parts. Told them to forget it and I will hav e that done down the road. This CW is colocated with Foley's RV, which is an authorized repair center for Keystone, yet they stock no parts. My shorline cord is coming apart and needs replacing. They have to order one and send it to me. They could not repair the one I had as they say it is a liability issue. ais Goshen Ind the only place to get repairs on the road???? One of my day/night shades went tango uniform and have to order that also. They will forward to me when it gets here as long as I am willing to pay the shipping. The tire issue is another thing. I have to deal directly with the tire company instead of Keystone. I don't know how Keystone can just refuse to deal with these issues. Hopefully I can get one tire replaced under warranty.

Will try to leave here Sunday on our way to Spokane. Have reservations at Clear Lake Mil CG from 24 to 29 Jun and then at Alderwood CG in Mead from 29 Jun to 5 Jul. Then it is off to Moscow, ID on 5 July for the LOW conference.

Hope to meet as many MOCers as possible while we are in Spokane. Will post cell number when we get there.

See you all later......

Phil & Cathy
Old 06-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #20
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Phil,

I don't think your problems with CampingWorld are at all unusual. The ones that I have been to seem to be poorly managed and barely competent. Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be any alternative if you need to have things installed on your RV. The local dealers around here will barely talk to you if you bought your RV from them and not at all if you didn't. They are focused on install accessories on new RVs so they can get hem off the lot.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote