Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2006, 05:56 AM   #1
peterlarsen

M.O.C. #6143
We just got our 342PHT!

Hi!

I have been reading this forum for many weeks, We joined when looking at various trailers, and a Mountaineer was one of them. Many thanks to all you for so much great information! We went from a motorhome to a fifth wheel, and we have much to learn. Reading this forum really helped with picking the right rig, and getting it home! Hopefully we will get good with our new toy and be able to contribute back to this group.

Our kids really love the new rig, and our first campout was last night in the driveway. So far, no problems at all, we knew what to look for, and hope to find nothing bad in the future.

Once again, thanks for all of the really great info on this forum!

Peter Larsen
Everett, WA

peterlarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Congratulations on your new home away from home. What a great experience you are giving your children. (You will have to leave the driveway!) LOL
Happy trails..................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Welcome to the MOC family. It is great to have you join us. Enjoy your new memories and may they all be pleasant ones.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
CONGRATS on the new RIG !!

We just ( last week ) took delivery of our Mountaineer Bunkhouse, and like you left the world of MOTOR HOMES. We love the 5th wheel, hope you guys have lots of fun with the new rig.

Stay tuned to the FORUM as I have gained so………..much helpful information about our Mountaineer.
RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations. Hope you have many great adventures ahead.

Virgil and Karen
2000 3255RL
2006 F350 PSD 4x4
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Wow, another 342PHT... The rate these are being added to MOC, we may actually outnumber the 3400RL crowd some day...

Good luck with the new rig. You are going to love it. Like most of us with kids (and the friends they always have in tow), this is one of the best floor plans on the market today. Watch the basement for shower leaks, and be very careful when opening the slides (rear pantry doors like to open when traveling and you cannot see them when opening the living room slide... crunch) and when closing the slides (bunkhouse Bunks up, nothing on the BR floor and the door closed). Other than the shower leak and the operator induced slider crunches, it's been a trouble free first season

We upgraded to this model in April. Traveled the length of the East Coast (FL to PEI Canada) since then. Now, sadly it's back to school, soccer, etc.. hopefully another weekend of two before the winter settles in the North East.

06 F350 4wd PSD Crew
06 Mountianeer 34PHT
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Welcome again to the MOC, and congratulations on your new "camper".

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:31 AM   #8
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Congrats on the new rig. We too have a Mountaineer with the bunks. Kids love them. We look forward to hearing about your travels.

Me, "outnumbered" by three red heads...my dear wife
& 2 DD's, plus Sam & Taylor the yellow camping labs.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4
8.1L big block/Allison
06 Mountaineer 319BHD w/Trailair Pin Box
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:41 AM   #9
Cheri
Established Member

M.O.C. #6142
Hi, Peter--welcome to Montana Owners and to the group of proud Mountaineer bunkhouse owners! We have the 342PHT also. Picked it up 3 weeks ago and have made 2 long weekend trips with the new trailer.

The slide crunches can be a big issue, as already mentioned, and the length of the unit makes it difficult to get into some sites and some gas stations.

My teens (and the friends that always seem to be with us ) LOVE the separate bunkhouse. They close the door, watch TV, talk, etc, and have their own private space. It really is perfect.

What interior color did you get? We have the Desert Sunset and replaced the dinette with a free standing table. The kitchen has minimal counter space so we ordered a counter extension which will help a great deal.

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Cheri

Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
peterlarsen

M.O.C. #6143
Hi,

We finally got to get out of the driveway! Our truck is not too happy with the load (upgrading this month) so we are somewhat limited on how far we go. We went to the Granite Falls area and parked for the weekend. We had 12 of us on this trip. 6 adults 3 teenagers, 3 very excited 3-6 year olds! 2 teenagers opted for the tent, and the rest of us stayed in the trailer. No crowding at all, we all watched a movie, and just had a great time.

Our trailer also has the desert sunset interior (or dirt color as our dealer called it.)

Already see some upgrades to do. No power is available in the cabinet where the DVD player is for xbox. I am going to just put a new breaker and outlet in there. Also was a little concerned with the low-point drains being below the trailer. I think it would be much better to have the valves inside the trailer for cold weather camping.

The slide crunches haven't happened yet, but it sure looks easy to do. Perhaps a sensor on the bunks and doors would work (just dreaming at this point)

We also purchased a Kipor 3500ti generator, and it works very well. I hope to also put an inverter in by the batteries to make boondocking even easier in the future. Still trying to decide how the transfer switch would work with the 50amp service.

Overall, we really love the trailer, and this should be a fun winter full of improvement projects for next summer!

Peter
peterlarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome and congrats!

BillyRay

2002 3500 Chevy D/W 4x4 C/C Diesel
2004 3685FL
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Hey you guys, I am totally unfamiliar with your floor plan, but, just a thought, you can tell me if it would work for you

First, I stand in the bedroom, top stair, if you will, and look over the slides, you can see some of the doors and stuff that way, the one time we had a door open, I spied it that way.

When opening the slides, I only open the main slides a little (in our unit the bedroom comes open first, then the others). I open them far enough that I can shimmy (don't ask) sideways between the kitchen island and I take a long hard look for anything that opened or fell out that should not have.

When I am sure there is nothing laying around or open that should not be, I finish opening the slides.

Anyway, maybe you could adapt my procedure to your units, like I said, not familiar with the layout, so maybe I am talking out of my head! HA HA, would not be the first time!

Good luck,

Carol

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
welcome to you peter and your family it's cool that the kids get to enjoy this part of life with you my girls all camped with us for there entire lives not quite as nice as we camp now but still the memorys are life long now we are into the grandparent stage and do enjoy spoiling the grandkids with our new way of camping and our monty is a smash hit so many happy memorys with your family and hope to meet you one day outhere

tim ford
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congatulations, Peter!

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote