Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
Montana_3062

M.O.C. #3062
Hi from Lynda and Bud

Hello, We are new to the forum and just started 5th wheeling in July. We sold our home in Mammoth Lakes, California and are full timers in our 3400 RL. Bud travels for his job and Lynda does the cooking and cleaning (Bud helps, a lot) and walking the dogs (Murphy and Matilda). I have a question I need help with. As you know, California has had a lot of rain this winter. Right now we are on the North coast of California and with this last rain, the carpet on the floor nearest the outside walls of the slides was wet and we are also getting some mold growing around the window frames and on a couple of things I had stored behind the recliner in the living room. Is this a typical problem with 5th wheel units? or is this something we should become concerned about? Any advice anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. We are loving living in the Montana, it is so comfortable and a huge step up from staying in motels. Thanks for your help.
Lynda

Montana_3062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Welcome to MOC ... you'll enjoy it here ... maybe as much as you're enjoying your Montana!

That mold thing doesn't sound good at all! Unfortunately, other than wondering whether you're venting enough, I'm clueless (no comments from the peanut gallery, please). I'm sure some of the other nice folks will come along and offer some insight.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
welcome bldage and congratulations on your new montana, I cannot help with the wet floor or the mold growing on your windows but I know someone will be along soon with some help.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard! None of that sounds normal to me.

Does the carpet get wet while the Montana is parked or when driving in the rain? If driving in the rain then it sounds like the seals are leaking, probably the lower ones where the wheels throw up the water from the road. If while parked, we have another member who just reported having this problem. First time I've heard of it while parked. He found the seal along the top of the slide curled under so it was not uniform across the entire top. If yours is when parked, you might look along the top of the slide on the outside and see if yours looks ok.

Is the mildew on the window frames on the inside or the outside? If on the outside, is it on the actual metal frame or on the caulking around the frame. If inside, do you get much condensation on the windows? If so you might crack a vent a quarter inch or so and leave it so moisture can vent. When you cook, it helps to use the range hood fan vent and either open another vent or if you have a fantastic fan, turn it on to vent the moisture. When showering, open the bathroom door and run the fan to vent moisture.

You may already do all this. If none of these seem likely, can you provide some more specifics? Lots of good people here would be willing to help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Get rid of the moisture and you will get rid of the mold. Keep warm air moving if you have a moisture build up. Keep a upper vent open a little to allow the air to flow out.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Lynda,
We just recently had a lot of posts in a topic I believe was Condensation. You need to vent and also get some drying aid things. You can get them at Camping World and also WalMart. Where on the California coast are you?
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having moisture problems. As others have said, need to continually pull the moisture out of the air. three approaches might be employed and they can be in combination. (1) venting (2) use dry absorbant in the room(s) and (3) consider a dehumidifier.

The mold should be treated with a mold killing chemical. Check with a carpet cleaning company. Mold is anathyma to you rig.

Your big question to explore is whether you have a leak or is this condensation. If a leak, working to stop it is expedient. If condensation then the dehumidifying efforts should do the job.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:39 AM   #8
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Lynda, It seems you have received some answers to your questions with good instruction. I just wanted to welcome you to the MOC forum. As you can see, when a question or problem is posted, there is a great group of experienced MOC members out there to jump in and assist you via this great little screen. Good luck with solving your condensation and mold problems. Be sure to keep us posted on the solution you find for the problem.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the Forum. Hope you find the solution to your moisture problems soon. As you've discovered, this is a good place to get answers to your questions. Good luck.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
Montana_3062

M.O.C. #3062
Thank you everybody for your suggestions - by the way, the moisture problem is while parked, we will check the seals.
There is a lot of condensation, so I will crack some windows and vents. Had them all closed as it was cold. And we will get some dry absorb, as soon as I can find it. We are learning so much with this new adventure in our life.
Thanks again, truly appreciate the help.
Lynda
Old 02-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Lynda,

Open those vents! Even when it is cold, no matter HOW cold! Our experience is that even below freezing that at least one ceiling vent needs to be kept open, 24/7! Keeping the moisture down will actually help you feel warmer, or, at least it does for us. Don't open the vent much, maybe 1/3 of an inch.

Good luck and it sounds like you are having a grand time! Welcome to the MOC and let us know how you are coming with the fight of the mold and moisture!

Cheers,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:04 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would try the vent solution first. And if you have a fantastic fan, use it when cooking and steam is being generated. Or use the fan/vent on the range hood. As other said, it's a good idea to crack a vent just a little. Not enough that you feel a draft or cold wind, just a little is enough. Quarter inch or so. We've never needed any absorbent of any kind but perhaps you generate more moisture than we do so it's an option if the vent approach doesn't work for you. Dont forget to have a fan going when showering. Either the bathroom fan with door open or a fantastic fan if you have one of those upstairs. Please let us know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:35 PM   #13
Montana_3062

M.O.C. #3062
Thank - you everybody. Cracking the vents and some of the windows seems to have done the trick.
Lynda
Old 02-23-2005, 07:06 AM   #14
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sounds like venting has solved your problem, but thought I would add this thought. We have some friends who just started full timing in a 5th wheel. They got a dehumidifier at Lowe's for $150 or so and said it makes all the difference in the world - and we live in the high desert of central Oregon where it is not as "moist" as other places. Anyone else have experience with dehumidifiers?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:25 AM   #15
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome Lynda,
I have a leak on the bed room slide. What I found was the water runing down the slide down spout spilling out onto the carpet soaking it. I would first take it to the dealer out of concern.
The dealer replace the seals around the bed room slide.
Good Luck.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote