Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
gherman49
Established Member

M.O.C. #5673
Black Tank Leaking

Looking for some advice!! I have a 2004 Montana 3295 RK that has a leaking black holding tank. Had it "repaired" at a dealer 2 or 3 years ago. At that time the leak was at the inlet pipe/tank interface -- and the repair was kind of an attempt at patching the leak. At any rate, I am leaking again and it seems to occur when the tank get relatively full. I am considering doing the job myself. So if anyone has done this same type of repair, my question is how difficult is it?? And, is it easy to find a replacement tank of the same size and with the same inlet/outlet configuration as the original? Any advice/warnings or questioning of my sanity to attempt this is appeciated!

Glenn

gherman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
OZZ did a neat repair a year ago or so, and posted pictures of how it was done. You can either do a search or maybe send him a PM. Good luck with the repair/replace.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glenn it is Frustrating and embarrassing to the enth degree! I will find the slide-show for you, it is really not a bad job. No need in most cases for a new tank

It is critical to install the 2 rubber couplings downstream of the fix to take the strain off of the tank outlet, if the dealership had done that, you might be OK.
This is just a generic picture I ripped off from the Web:

Get this stuff, you don't want to do the job more than once:
http://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Mend-Plastic-Repair-Holding-Tank/dp/B003JC3UB2

Here ya go:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/20120113HoldingTankRepairs?authuser=0&feat=directl ink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I had a crack along the bottom seam, and was able to repair with the tank in place. I repaired by running two layers of fiberglass patching running the length of the seam, and then putting eternabond tank repair tape on top of the fiberglass patching after it was set. This was on my 2005, repair was made in 2006, and was still good when I traded the unit in on our 2010. There are a couple of other products specific to tank repairs, that others may speak to, I have no experience with them.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Plastimend Black for ABS has fixed both my Grey and Blank Tank "overfill" stress cracks and subsequent leaks. In both cases the cracks were in the Tank outlet area or along the bottom tank edge. Since these failures occurred when parked, I attribute the failures to weakness of the ABS and am not sure that flexible couplings would help.
The Tank Vendor just suggested using Oatey ABS Glue...
Plastimend is a thick ABS solution you brush on and embed fiberglass mesh in. Its available online at Amazon.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

Plastimend Black for ABS has fixed both my Grey and Blank Tank "overfill" stress cracks and subsequent leaks. In both cases the cracks were in the Tank outlet area or along the bottom tank edge. Since these failures occurred when parked, I attribute the failures to weakness of the ABS and am not sure that flexible couplings would help.
The Tank Vendor just suggested using Oatey ABS Glue...
Plastimend is a thick ABS solution you brush on and embed fiberglass mesh in. Its available online at Amazon.
My theory is that the support is flexing, a full tank will be heavier, sagging, the empty tank will rise, when the drain line is rigid, it is like a fulcrum and breaks the drain flange when it flexes so many times. That tank repair kit is what I have the link to at Amazing Amazon.
JMHO
Ozz
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
gherman49
Established Member

M.O.C. #5673
Thanks everyone. I have not started wrenching yet, so am still gathering info! If the leak turns out to be at the inlet (on top), will I have to drop the tank to get to it? I don't see any access in the storage compartment.
gherman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The leak should be on the bottom spud, seen in my slide-show. I just cut an access hole in the bottom, and covered it with sheet-metal when I was done.