Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
LouRobin

M.O.C. #22039
The most AMAZING Campround you ever visited

I’m thinking about the retirement date ahead, and the wife just asked where would you like to go for the first trip out when you retire?
I’d like it to be amazing, and will be starting out from Orlando Fl, I guess time will no longer be a consideration, so WHERE have you been and experienced the most AMAZING RV resort, campground, or special spot??

LouRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's a hard question and we would have to know more about what you consider amazing. We've found amazing animals at strange places like Wichita Mountain in Oklahoma (who knew OK had a mountain). Macinaw Island was really cool and so was the Soo locks. If it's stuff that excite you the shipwreck museum up there has the bell from the Edmond Fitzgerald. If it vistas that excite you set yourself up to boondock and head for the west. If it's golf or the ocean then you don't have to go far or you might want to go down to the Keys and hang the back of your rig over the ocean. As you can tell, in 8 years of fulltiming we've got to see a lot. The first thing you have to remember is if your retired you don't have to hurry or have a schedule and if someone tells you about something cool you can stay in one spot and experience it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When I go I like to get away from everything and enjoy nature. So my favorite places are the Shirley Basin Wy. 440,000 acres of nothing except prairie, antelope, and prairie dogs. You can see for miles in every direction and not find a single person. 440,000 acres is 35 by 50 miles, if it were a rectangle. You can ride in your truck all day and see nothing except prairie and antelope.
My all time favorite place is Union Pass Wy. We camp at 9200 feet. All of Wyoming’s game is up there, brown and black bear, antelope, deer, moose, elk and rock chucks. There are lots of small lakes and creeks and all are full of trout. The nights are cool. The days warm in the summer. The winter forget it.
Lynwood
If you are interested Google Shirley Basin Wy. You should find before and after pictures. I’ve camped right there. Google Union Pass Wy and you should find a picture of a historical marker. I’ve camped 200 yards from that.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Lou,

Welcome to the forum!

Wrangell St. Elias National Park is the largest in the nation and a very special place. It is all boondocking. Blueberry State Park in AK is another great place.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
In Arkansas it’s Catherine’s Landing in Hot Springs. World class horse racing in the spring and lakes thru the summer. Lots to do all around that area. Be sure to take in Garvin Gardens

But since you have the time now if you don’t go out west and take In Yellowstone and the California Redwoods shame on you. As much as I love my home state I have to admit the Rocky Mountain country is spectacular!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
Wife has said to tour all national parks and a trip to Alaska. In 8 years, we will start our major trips
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Big Piner
Established Member

M.O.C. #20970
So far without a doubt the best CG we have stayed at is in your own back yard, yep you guessed it Fort Wilderness. It is the cleanest, no bugs/insects, best in every aspect CG there is by far and we don't even go to the parks. Granted not the cheapest but definitely number one in all categories. We have yet to find one that matches the Mouse.
MOC# 20970
Big Piner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Key West Florida
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Key West Florida
Tell us more. Always interested in Florida campgrounds
Old 08-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
My choice would be space 17 in the Circle of the Montana's in Quartzsite in January next to Jack and Dave, because they have the only partial hook-up site. And I'm close enough to the fire pit to hear the other Dave play Bye Bye American Pie on his guitar.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Can't say we have traveled all over the country since 2006. We do not travel for the campground but for the area we are going to or are in. We have been to some very nice ones and a couple of very bad ones. Remember a CG somewhere in New mexico not near anything,It was a old CG run by a Indian tribe but at Night with no light to interfere it was as if we were in a bowl and the stars came right down to the ground. It was fantastic and htat us why we travel the country.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
fqrvv.Com

New Orleans. ...special.

If you like the French quarter
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #13
Cubbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20155
The campgrounds close to Arches, Zion and Bryce Canyound in Utah. All three parks are so different and beautiful!!!!!
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
I had the blessing to travel the 25+ years while working in the sporting goods industry. Getting to experience most of the USA while entertaining clients on hunting/fishing excursions all over our great country. Some of my most favorite haunts are in the west and am know able to take my wife to those places that I found special. The drive on New Mexico's highway 64 from Taos to Chama is spectacular in the fall, don't miss the Cumberland and Toltec train excursion out of Chama. Durango,Telluride,Ouray, and Silverton Colorado should be on everyone's list to visit. Rocky Mountain National Park is worthy of a visit. Our favorite county in in Western Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Grand Teton National Park, West Yellowstone host one of the best campground experiences we have every had, Yellowstone Holiday campground on the Northern shore of Hebgen Lake, it was exceptionally clean, sites close to the water, a marina, just a first class operation. If you like larger campgrounds with a ton of amenities and close to town and attractions Yellowstone Grizzly campground in West Yellowstone is the one you want. Our favorite drive in the west is Hwy 296 going north out of Cody Wy to Cooke City Wy, the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, I do not recommend pulling a fiver on this route, but it leads into the north east entrance of Yellowstone, transitioning into Lamar Valley which is the jewel of Yellowstone as far as wildlife viewing, during multiple trips there have always seen grizzly,black bear, antelope,buffalo,elk,moose,wolves just the complete wildlife experience. It's a big country with a diverse range that can please anyone. Best of luck to you in your travels. My advice is to do extensive planning and book reservations six months in advance with some popular locations being booked a year out. Prior planning and preparation will prevent disappointment and unnecessary stress while traveling.
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Stihlntime,

Have to agree with you it is hard to beat the Rockies for outright grandeur!! We have made whirlwind 20 day vacation tours in all directions from Arkansas and hands down the scenery in the west is by far the most amazing. Any campground that puts you near that has to be a good start.....
Old 08-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
STIHLNTIME Those are beautiful places. I’m so lucky I’ve been fortunate enough to see most of them especially the ones in Wyoming. I have a friend who was an outfielder in Dubious who has shown me the places tourist never get to see. This is a fabulous country. We are so lucky. So many people can’t do the things we can now do. They don’t have the money, or health or just don’t know or maybe don’t care. We as a group are very fortunate, be thankful very thankful.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #17
2 Yoopers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21800
We live in Michigan’s Upper Penninsula and have been camping close to home in the summer. Spent a week in Copper Harbor at Fort Wilkins State Park. Beautiful park, nice area with good fishing, lots of waterfalls, local copper mining history in the Keweenaw peninsula. Planning on retiring in 1 1/2 years, anxious to see out west, and Alaska.
2 Yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #18
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Fort Desoto Park / Campground in Florida. Gulf side way below Sarasota. Kinda like you’re on an island surrounded by water. White sand, clear water, secluded sites with water right out the back of your site.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
2 Yoopers, looking forward to getting up to the Upper Peninsula, I have heard nothing but great things about the beauty of the area and the outstanding fishing that is available. It's just a blessing that folks like us get to see some of the beauty of this country that few get to see. One thing I get enjoyment out of is staying out late in the West, especially in the fall. Love to hear the bull elk screaming as they chase the cows across mountain meadows, or staying late in Lamar Valley in Yellowstone to hear wolves mournful howling or the calls of Sandhill Cranes flying off their roost. I often find myself getting to caught up in the less important things or being in to much of a hurry in either getting to a destination or getting itchy feet and moving to often, I made a resolution after this last trip to slow down and enjoy the small things.
Sailun 637 tires Predator 3500 (2) paralleled
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:07 AM   #20
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Campgrounds

Fort Wilderness was fabulous. We did it 20 years ago in a pop-up with all 3 kids and DW and I want to go back!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote