Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
High Country graphics problem! UPDATE!!

No, it's not the usual cracking, peeling issue associated with the Burlington Graphics on the Montana line.
I found out that on the High Country model, Keystone used a company called Performance Graphics in Elkhart, In. (maybe the stickers weigh less? )
Anyway, the letters "Montana" on the front cap are discoloring already...less than a year old. The white borders around the letters have brown spotting to various degrees. Another forum member has it too, but it's even worse on mine. The letters on the side and rear cap are fine so it seems as if it's related to sun exposure.
Trying to talk to someone at Performance Graphics but I forgot they are 3 hours ahead, so I will try tomorrow.
Anybody else -especially High Country owners- seeing this?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
I am with you on this! Seems to be "burning" in the hot sun and starting to split. My Front & Rear cap fiberglass are faded/spotted too! Like you its not even a year old and since I have owned it been covered. grrrr

CR/LF inserted to avoid excessive width and resultant scrolling - CRAFT-guy
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Take a look at mine!
Compare to how the letters SHOULD look from the ones on the rear.
At least they were able to buff out the hazing/oxidation on the front and rear caps and put on a good sealer wax!
Come on Keystone...is this the best you can do?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Wow... Mine is only 4 months old from the date of manufacture, so I have yet to see any of this dis-coloration. I did put on a good spray wax from optimum to help seal up the new gelcoat. I put it on the graphics too. So hopefully.. ( knocks on wood ) that will help. But then again, its only getting into May. I guess we will see how they hold up to the July/August Florida sun.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

A little spritz then wipe it off. Super quick and easy.

I did have a little bit of hazing on the rear cap but a few coats of wax took care of it.

I did notice some sand, or guys in the window tint world would call it contamination, between the graphics and the gelcoat in some spots.

I have an adco? cover for mine but have yet to use it.

I will be dang sure to keep an eye on my front graphics and cap. If its one thing I have learned in the boat world is... you gotta keep them waxed. Especially these colored gel coats.

Laters,
Ren

Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Just curious; are these in high humidity areas? I have seen spots like that on vinyl wallpaper at the hotel the DW works at. We talked to the guy who did the wallpaper....he claims it is from mildew/mold behind the paper.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
The graphics with the problem are on the front cap only. So it seems like it would be related to sun exposure since the area on the front cap would receive more direct sunlight. The other lettering is on a more vertical surface and somewhat protected compared to the front cap.
I suspect the material itself is flawed. This spotting process clearly began before 1 year. My trailers build date is 3/4/2010 and this definetly started some time ago to get this bad.
Talked to John at Performance Graphics this a.m. and he said they would make it right so I sent him the pics I took. Stay tuned for further developments.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Follow up...after looking at the pics I sent, both the general manager and the owner of Performance Graphics agreed they had not seen anything like this before!
They also agreed that they would certainly provide a replacement set of graphics, but I would like to be persuaded that it is not just the same flawed material as what's on there now.
Has anyone else seen this particular problem with their graphics before?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike and Ann,
In all the various discussions regarding graphics I've never seen this! Most often we've seen the shrinking and peeling problem along with the fading. Of course you have one of the newer units and you apparently have graphics produced by a company other than Burlington.

Good luck and please let us know things work out. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Yes, it seems to be related to the fact that a different company is making the High Country graphics. Not saying it's a bad company or anything, they apparantly just got some bad material or something was done with the printing that caused a problem?
They had not seen this before I sent the pics (so they said). No reason not to believe them, seems like good guys willing to make it right!
I will update as we go through the process...
Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Update: After several discussions with John at Performance Graphics, they are sending a replacement "Montana" graphic for the front cap. There is still no definitive answer on what is causing this, but there are several others who are experiencing this problem. More to come I would assume over time.
Hopefully get it replaced next week some time...
Old 06-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Sheeesh. I better go visit our 323RL and look it over. If the graphics issue turns bad, I'll paint. Or trade. Good luck.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #12
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
It is apparently happening to only a few at this point and it is not known what is causing it.
One theory is that the front cap was cleaned or wiped down at the manufacturer with some chemical that "out gassed" through the front decal and the white border (non inked) part was the only part affected. Sounds like a stretch to me, but I have no better theory. I would tend to think it's a flaw in the material itself, but then it seems like it would be more common?
Hopefully the new graphic will not have a similar problem down the road...
Old 06-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #13
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Thank you for the updates Mike...
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 08UltraRider

Thank you for the updates Mike...
Sure...no prob! On a positive note, the graphics manufacturer (Performance Graphics) has been very helpful and willing to stand behind their products and take care of the issue without even knowing for sure what is causing it! I will be sending them whatever can be salvaged of the old/bad graphic for analysis.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
kckimmoore

M.O.C. #10482
John, I have the same exact model as yourself with the same problem with front cap graphics. Could you provide me with the contact information to who you have been dealing with at Performance Graphics? My discoloration is not as severe as your's but still quite noticeable.
kckimmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I assume you are referring to me (Mike, not John)? I will be glad to send you a PM with the contact info. Take some close up digital pics and send to John at Performance Graphics...he has been very helpful.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #17
bubbabc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9722
Hi, I have a 2010 Montana Mountaineer 326 purchased in 9/09 with the exact same problem!!! I have had the front cap "Montana" decal replaced three times. The decal is staying on but the white edges look like they are burnt. It is not doing this anywhere else on the coach except the front cap. The Mountaineer decal on the front seems to be ok so far.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

No, it's not the usual cracking, peeling issue associated with the Burlington Graphics on the Montana line.
I found out that on the High Country model, Keystone used a company called Performance Graphics in Elkhart, In. (maybe the stickers weigh less? )
Anyway, the letters "Montana" on the front cap are discoloring already...less than a year old. The white borders around the letters have brown spotting to various degrees. Another forum member has it too, but it's even worse on mine. The letters on the side and rear cap are fine so it seems as if it's related to sun exposure.
Trying to talk to someone at Performance Graphics but I forgot they are 3 hours ahead, so I will try tomorrow.
Anybody else -especially High Country owners- seeing this?
bubbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #18
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
So did Keystone replace the front decal/graphics under warranty? Was the problem the same each time?
I would assume that it was made by the same company as mine and the others that are doing the same thing. But check and see if the Mountaineer graphics are the from the same source as the High Country. Keystone apparently changes the provider of the graphics occasionally and (maybe) for different models.
If you would like I can give you the contact information for the company who made mine and with whom I am working to resolve the issue. Sure sounds like the same problem to me!
Take some digital pics if you can and post them...also to send to the graphics company. The more information they have, the more likely they will be to figure out why this is happening!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
bubbabc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9722
Yes, Mine were replaced under warranty. The Montana decal on my Mountaineer is identical to the one on your High Country.I was at the Timomiun Show in Maryland in February and noticed new units on display with peeling decals. I brought it up to the dealer and he said they were having problems!!It is terrible to spend so much money for a camper and have problems like this. It's no wonder they depreciate so fast.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

So did Keystone replace the front decal/graphics under warranty? Was the problem the same each time?
I would assume that it was made by the same company as mine and the others that are doing the same thing. But check and see if the Mountaineer graphics are the from the same source as the High Country. Keystone apparently changes the provider of the graphics occasionally and (maybe) for different models.
If you would like I can give you the contact information for the company who made mine and with whom I am working to resolve the issue. Sure sounds like the same problem to me!
Take some digital pics if you can and post them...also to send to the graphics company. The more information they have, the more likely they will be to figure out why this is happening!
bubbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
[quote]Originally posted by bubbabc

Yes, Mine were replaced under warranty. The Montana decal on my Mountaineer is identical to the one on your High Country.I was at the Timomiun Show in Maryland in February and noticed new units on display with peeling decals. I brought it up to the dealer and he said they were having problems!!It is terrible to spend so much money for a camper and have problems like this. It's no wonder they depreciate so fast. [quote]

Was it the same problem i.e. discoloration of the white border on the letters each time?
This is important info because one theory is that someone mistakenly applied something to the cap prior to application of the graphic that is causing this. But that doesn't make sense if you experienced it on three different occasions!
Did you just go through your dealer each time or did someone at Keystone help you with this? If so, it would be helpful to the rest of us to know who to talk to there. The more information we all have regarding this issue, the better chance of getting it resolved properly. Thanks!