Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
circut breakers

i thought it would be a good idea to carry a couple of spare breakers-just in case.I`ve heard when a breaker trips that it weakens that breaker.Whats involved in changing out a breaker?Does the whole panel have to be removed to replace a breaker?Are the breakers held in with screws??

John

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
There are two crews that hold th plastic panel front on. Remove those and you can expose the breakers. Make sure all power is off. Remove the breaker that is bad by simply pulling it out, then you can remove the wire hot lead from it and replace in like manner, very simple.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would not worry about carrying spares, if a breaker trips, it is a overload or short that trips it. This does not weaken the breaker. Don't use a breaker as a on and off switch, keep the wires tight on all the breakers, and heat is your enemy with electrical panels. I don't like my panel being high in the bathroom with the converter in an enclosed space. I like a poster's idea of installing the small 'muffin' fan in the vent above the washer and dryer closet.
The converter has a built in fan for cooling controlled by a bi-metal disk that warps at a higher temperature, closing a normally open set of contacts, engaging the fan, when it cools, it opens the fan circuit. Only problem is, it's blazing hot up there all the time. I think they have a roof vent right above that panel, which is good.
The breaker, (mine) is what they call a stab lock, it hinges on the rear of the breaker and snaps into the buss bar. Mine are (120/240 S-1 type/typo homeT Square D)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I would not worry about carrying spares, if a breaker trips, it is a overload or short that trips it. This does not weaken the breaker.
When breakers trip it is caused by the amperage through it is more than it is rated for. Current causes heat and if it trips too much because of a shorted condition in the circuit, the breaker will definitely become weaker in its ability to handle its rated current. A good example of this can be found in a lot of the older campgrounds where the electric box is continually subjected to direct, hot sunlight. A lot of times these 30 amp breakers will trip at something less than 30 amps. You wouldn't think that they weaken, but my experience has been that they do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:07 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Orv,
In an RV application, such as the post by John, when a breaker trips it does not weaken the breaker. I have 34 years of electrical troubleshooting experience to back that statement up.
You are bringing up an example of an older campground and commercial use. I agree with you in that anything wears out over time and becomes weakened. He was asking about his Rv, not a campground.
Take care, Jim
Old 07-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

Orv,
In an RV application, such as the post by John, when a breaker trips it does not weaken the breaker. I have 34 years of electrical troubleshooting experience to back that statement up.
You are bringing up an example of an older campground and commercial use. I agree with you in that anything wears out over time and becomes weakened. He was asking about his Rv, not a campground.
Take care, Jim
I don't want to make an issue of this because you are right and so am I. I won't mention how many years of experience I have but I did have a 20 amp breaker on my AC that kept tripping until I picked up a new one from Camping World 3 years ago and this one hasn't tripped yet.

Thanks for the help,
Orv
Old 07-15-2006, 01:28 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK Orv, I give up.
That's why I said anything wears out over time and becomes weakened.
Have a good one, Ozz.
By the way, there aren't too many states you haven't been to, any plans to fill in the spaces on your map?
Ozz
Old 07-15-2006, 02:23 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

OK Orv, I give up.
That's why I said anything wears out over time and becomes weakened.
Have a good one, Ozz.
By the way, there aren't too many states you haven't been to, any plans to fill in the spaces on your map?
Ozz
The states that are filled in are the states we've slept in. We've been through N. Dak but have never stayed there. We've yet to visit the New England states. Maybe someday, the Lord willing.

Orv
Old 07-15-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Breakers should be exercised periodically. Once a year you should manually throw each breaker off and on. Breakers can go bad either by not tripping during an over current or by false tripping with a moderate load.

Any mechanical / electrical device has many failure points.
Dust, dirt, corrosion and water damage are all potential reasons for failure.
Breakers are not hermetically sealed units and are more prone to not tripping due to corrosion than any other type of failure.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:32 AM   #10
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Couple more thoughts on the breaker problem. Our Apollo suddenly started tripping for no apparant reason ('05 Monty), so I replaced the breaker 2 mos. ago & it hasn't tripped since. Wore out, tired, hot, who knows.

The other thing is I talked to 2 electricians and both said that the tandem breakers used in these panels are not the best in the world. Heat transfer between the 2 breakers is considerably more than in a single breaker. In my case, the Apollo was on a 15a/20a tandem. The 15A side is the bedroom; I suspect those hair dryers draw a lotta juice, hence the breaker may be on the edge if several 110v lights plus other stuff is on too.

He suggested replace the tandem that the Appolo is on w/a single 20A. May just do that...

For what its worth.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
These Apollos are not best in world either they have gone bad in lots of others out there. i suspect don't know for fact that they may be having issues that could cause high draw as well.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #12
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Broome101,

I totally agree. Had one in our '04 Cougar go up in smoke, & it didn't even trip the breaker when the internal wiring started to melt.

Boy, did that stink up the trailer...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote