Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Rubber Lotion?

I have been using Turtle Wax tire cleaner and protectorant (with UV inhibitors) on my tires for some time - hope it doesn't cause problems. The label also says it can be used on weather stipping around auto doors.

I'm wondering if it would be good for use on the various rubber seals on the Monty slides, etc.

What does the collective MOC brain trust think?

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
A foam spray for slide seals is available at most RV dealers and CW. This what I use. It cleans, lubricates and keeps the seals soft.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Last year at the rally the factory rep from Dicor used silicon spray. I was fortunate enough to have him demo on my Monty. Lucky me, when he left he left the silicon behind. Have used it once since than. If the manufacturer recommends silicon for the slide seals I'll use silicon.

But regardless of what you have on hand or decide to buy read the following from Dicor...
Quote:
quoteicor's Care & Maintenance instructions warn: "CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof".
One of the mildest of solvents is mineral spirits, and DICOR even warns against this: "DO NOT use mineral spirits in a large area or allow it to soak into the membrane.
Laboratory tests conducted in July of 1996 evaluated the effect of a leading RV "roof treatment" product on EPDM roofing membrane using standard sunlamp and immersion testing procedures. The "roof treatment", which contained petroleum distillates, caused a 630% mass change (swelling). In the summary/recommendations portion of the lab test the scientist noted they would not recommend the "roof treatment" and perhaps more tellingly noted, "Per the MSDS, this product contains petroleum distillates, a substance that is known to be incompatible with….EPDM sheeting".
For your rubber roof, for the EPDM seals around slide-outs / pop-ups, in the baggage compartments or for the EPDM door and trunk seals in your car, petroleum distillates are a huge "No No". And don't be fooled by names such as "organic solvent", "hydrocarbon carrier", etc Petroleum distillates by any other name should NEVER be applied to EPDM. If you aren't sure about a product, contact the manufacturer and have them send you a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Look under the section entitled "HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS". If it lists any petroleum distillates, do not use it on EPDM.

The FAQ's:
Q: Is it necessary to protect my rubber roof against UV light?
A: No.
Q: What do I need to do to care for my rubber roof?
A: Periodic cleaning (See DICOR Care 8 Maintenance instructions).
Q: One manufacturer told me their roof treatment product had only a minor percentage of petroleum distillates, something like 20 or 30 percent. Does the percentage matter?
A: Usually percentages given are based on weight. Since petroleum distillates are significantly lighter than water, in reality 30 percent by weight might be 40% or more by volume. But it really doesn't matter.
THERE IS NO LEVEL OF PETROLEUM DISTILLATES THAT IS RECOMMENDED.
Q: If I use a roof treatment product containing petroleum distillates on my rubber roof, can that void my warranty?
A: Yes.
Q: If I'm going to buy a used RV and it has a rubber roof, how can I tell
if the previous owner used petroleum distillates and damaged the rubber roof? What would the damage look like?
A: Two things: First, swelling. Uneven thicknesses of material. Second, loose areas. Petroleum distillates soak in and cause the adhesive to loosen and the membrane to balloon. Then, when the swelling goes down and the membrane flattens out again, it may never again adhere properly or completely.
Q: Dicor’s Care & Maintenance instructions says you can use mineral spirits on stubborn stains. isn't mineral spirits a petroleum distillate?
A: Yes. But note the instructions say to use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits and then only to remove a stubborn stain; to never use a petroleum distillate (even a solvent as mild as mineral spirits) directly on the membrane, in a large area or allow it to soak in. In no way is "treating" the roof membrane with a product containing petroleum distillates recommended or condoned.
Q: Oxidation: My roof seems to oxidize and run down the sides when it rains. What's going on?
A: First, EPDM roofing membrane does oxidize slowly, it's supposed to. In a dozen years it may oxidize 10% of its thickness. This is normal. Cleaning as recommended will help greatly. At least four times a year, more often if your local conditions and experience warrant.
Q: The rubber roofing wraps over slightly on both sides of my RV and you can see it from the ground. It gets dirty and doesn't look good. What can
I do about this?
A: Clean the area and treat it with a product that will repel soiling and is safe for EPDM. One product that performs and lasts well, is safe for EPDM and is commonly available at RV stores is 303 Protectant"
DicorTM Corporation
Brite-Ply Roof Care and Maintenance
Proper care and maintenance of your recreational vehicle, including your Brite-Ply roof is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy, and requires no special material.
(1) Keep your roof clean. Clean your roof at least four (4) times annually. For normal cleaning:
Use RC100 or a mild laundry detergent. (See CAUTION below.)
Rinse complete roof with clean water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
'Using a medium bristle brush, along with the cleaner mixed with water, scrub the entire roof. Rinse thoroughly with clean water to avoid residue build-up on the roof or sidewalls of the vehicle.
For more difficult stains, you may use RC100, mentioned above, in a more concentrated mixture.
For stubborn stains, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. DO NOT use mineral spirits in a large area or allow it to soak into the membrane. Household bleach can also be used (fully concentrated) and allowed to soak in stubborn stain areas, then scrubbed with a medium bristle brush or a cloth. Rinse thoroughly.
Recommended cleaner: RC100 Dicer Synthetic Roof & General Purpose Cleaner.
Caution: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof,
Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet Brite-Ply membrane may be extremely slippery
(2) Beware of areas where fruit or tree sap or harsh environmental fall-out may stay on the roof for an extended period of time. These conditions may result in unremovable stains. If you are in these conditions, you may have to increase the frequency of your cleaning or premature deterioration may occur.

COPYRIGHT 1997 by Dicer Corporation, Elkhart, Indiana 46515

This Public Service Announcement is provided as a public service by DICOR CORP.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I would bet that 9 out of 10 products will contain petroleum solvents or petroleum distillerates? I have been using 303 Protectant. I like the look of the surfaces when I'm done. There smooth, not oily with what I would describe as a waterproof surface. Did the roof, rubber seals, plastic around the windows, and the front and rear cap. I guess time will till if one is that much better than an other. See-Ya

Here the link http://www.303products.com/main.php
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

In a recent discussion, I was told by a Holiday Rambler factory tech that they did not recommend the use of silicone or petroleum based products on seals for their products.

He agreed that - as most of us have been warned - that petroleum based products break down the rubber. He also said that most "black" rubber type seals - those most often used to seal around slides - are manufactured with a UV inhibitor. According to him, silicone based products cause this UV inhibitor to loose its effectiveness.

Further research on the Internet has led me to the product "303 Aerospace Protectant" which has been mentioned a number of times in other threads on the site. It contains neither silicone nor is petroleum based.

According to its label, it can be effectively used on tires and slide seals.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for a great post, Glenn. I have fully good intentions of doing a better job keeping the roof of the new Montana cleaner than I did this older one. I really do.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote