Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
winterizing plugged black tank flush

I have been studying like crazy and thought I was educated enough to attempt my first winterization of our 2003 Montana 3670RL. Then a problem. In order to see if it works I tried to run some water through the flush hose with the black tank slide valve open and a bucket under the drain pipe, and no sound or water. So I did some more research and read where it might be a bad anti-siphon anti backflow valve so I replaced it and nothing changed. I'm guessing the nozzle inside the tank is plugged. I don't believe I need the flusher to work but it has water in the line and will freeze and probably break something. Any sugestions for an easy solution?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_104918.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2469  

Billhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
#1- get rid of that vacuum breaker all together. They are a flood waiting to happen and are not needed. Cut the lines in the basement under the floor and plumb them together.

#2- I suppose its possible that the flush nozzle is clogged. There may be a check valve at the water hose connection that is not working right. ?
Maybe try compressed air to blow it out.

The nozzle is not normally covered with water/waste until the tank is say 3/4 full. Maybe filling the tank and letting the nozzle sit in liquid for a while might loosen whatever is clogging it up.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
#1- get rid of that vacuum breaker all together. They are a flood waiting to happen and are not needed. Cut the lines in the basement under the floor and plumb them together
If you do this, what prevents fumes from the black tank escaping through the tank flush port in the convenience center.

Please don't say put a cap over the port.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
If you do this, what prevents fumes from the black tank escaping through the tank flush port in the convenience center......
Actually that anti siphon valve has an atmospheric vent under the valve cap. So if fumes were prone to go back up the flush line, they would come out the anti siphon valve when it is installed.
Attached Images

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
You all worry to much. LOL. I would not worry about fumes. There is a check valve at the connection point. Even if there wasn't I seriously dought that fumes would permeate from the spray head through the pex pipe and out trough the connection point.

Ever bin up on the roof of your house or RV ? The same fumes come out of your plumbing vents every hour of every day. Do you smell them ?
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote