Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #41
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
When you first drive the dually without the 5th wheel attached, you will feel uncomfortable going between a semi and the center concrete barrier on a tight highway turn, but after a few weeks, you will not even notice it anymore. In fact people tend to get out of your way, or give you more leeway. Plus on the mountain highway between Tahoe and Reno, the turns that say 50 mph or 55 mph, I can keep the cruise control on at 70 mph since the speed limit is 65, and it goes thru the turns like it is on rails. I can't imagine how much it would take a dually to tip over going thru a turn. As far as parking goes, it is not that big a deal, and most of the time when you park at a parking lot people tend to not park next to you. If you go to a restaurant and it is crowded, just hand the keys to the valet, and let them park it! :-) They usually end up putting it right in front because they don't have great spots in back. There were only 3 places I was nervous with the dually in our 40 states and 2 provinces of Canada so far, and that was downtown Boston, and some of the smaller roads in Carmel, CA, and the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National park. Now my dually with 4:10 gears and auto leveling airbags is going to be at the limit when we get our new SOB 5th wheel, that will have a pin weight when loaded of around 4,500 pounds! With my wife and I and our two Golden's and the 5th wheel hitch and 55 gallons of fuel, we weigh in at 9,620 pounds before we drop the 5th wheel on the back! The 14,000 GVWR seems to be on almost every 3 series truck, but the GAWR for our dually on the rear axle is 9,750 and the front is 6,000 so I'm thinking we will be OK!

Old 12-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #42
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I for one do not let anyone drive my dually except when absolutely necessary like at the dealership or repair shop. Depending on where you are most people never drove a dually and are not experienced in the turn radius and epecially the wide wheel wells in the back. I don't need my rear fender crushed. I make it a point to ask anyone that has to drive my truck if they have driven a dually before. If they say no I drive it in myself.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #43
dkkirkland
Established Member

M.O.C. #21964
We have an F350 SWD diesel with the 8 foot bed and the platinum package, and it'll tow 20,000 lbs. Our Montana is 16,800 GVW with all the tanks filled as well. We have plenty of sufficient towing with this truck. Don't think you'll need a dually or have to spend the extra bucks for it.
dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #44
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Shopping for a new truck I drove a dually for 3 days including my 60 mile round trip commute to work. No problem on the highway, FM roads, or city streets, including commuting Dallas rush hour traffic. But I don’t care what anyone says, parking lots and some drive thrus are a PIA. Most parking lots around here the spaces are barely wider than the dually fenders. And the drives between parking rows leave little room for getting in a space without a back and forth or two. Large parking lots you can go to the perimeter, but small lots don’t have than option.

Some drive thrus I have to watch carefully with my CC LB SRW to keep from scrubbing the curbs. Two bank drive thrus I use I fold my mirrors to make sure they don’t scrape the posts protecting their pedestals. Can’t fold fenders.

Living on a narrow farm to market highway with no shoulders I already have to watch on coming duallys as more often than not the rear is crowding over the center line.

And the Cracker Barrel or any other restaurants we go to do not have valets.

Thankfully my weight did not require a dually.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #45
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkirkland View Post
We have an F350 SWD diesel with the 8 foot bed and the platinum package, and it'll tow 20,000 lbs. Our Montana is 16,800 GVW with all the tanks filled as well. We have plenty of sufficient towing with this truck. Don't think you'll need a dually or have to spend the extra bucks for it.

Its not how much it will tow, but how much payload you have with the truck it self. And my DRW, it was a 1200 dollar option, not a deal breaker on a 65000 dollars truck.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #46
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper42 View Post
Now I'm confused. I have a 3560RL we bought last Jan in Quartzsite and have pulled it with our Ram 2500 diesel. The Cat scales shows my Ram weighs 8560, front 5120 - rear 3440, fully loaded includes BW hitch.
Hitched to Montana shows, front=4880, rear=6280, trailer=10820 making combined 21980.
The truck spec shows gcwr as 25K. so that seems ok
The Pin weight shows to be about 2980. so that's not good because the truck spec say payload is 2150. 830lbs over weight. right?
rear tire capacity is each tire 3560. capable of carrying the payload. also have air bags to take some strain off of the coil spring.

it looks like to me that the total weight are within spec but the payload is exceeded but yet the tires and axle are capable of carrying the weights.

Where the heck do I stand? sorry to be so dumb but after reading all these posts I concerned I'm not traveling safe.

The ultimate limiting factor for all tow vehicles is their GVWR. PERIOD!
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #47
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Don't kid yourself dully owners over load there trucks also. They seem to think that they never have to worry about weights. Semi trucks can carry 80,000 pounds and they can be overloaded.

When in doubt get the Kenworth I don't need a Peterbuilt.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #48
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Shopping for a new truck I drove a dually for 3 days including my 60 mile round trip commute to work. No problem on the highway, FM roads, or city streets, including commuting Dallas rush hour traffic. But I don’t care what anyone says, parking lots and some drive thrus are a PIA. Most parking lots around here the spaces are barely wider than the dually fenders. And the drives between parking rows leave little room for getting in a space without a back and forth or two. Large parking lots you can go to the perimeter, but small lots don’t have than option.

Some drive thrus I have to watch carefully with my CC LB SRW to keep from scrubbing the curbs. Two bank drive thrus I use I fold my mirrors to make sure they don’t scrape the posts protecting their pedestals. Can’t fold fenders.

Living on a narrow farm to market highway with no shoulders I already have to watch on coming duallys as more often than not the rear is crowding over the center line.

And the Cracker Barrel or any other restaurants we go to do not have valets.

Thankfully my weight did not require a dually.
After owning a dually I can honestly say ONE and DONE. My current 5er has a gvwr of 15,200 and loaded a PW of 2980. Room to spare on all counts with my F350. I made certain to NOT purchase a 5er that required a dually. You can forget the local car washes in addition to the list above.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #49
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Same story here. I was on the fence between DRW and SRW two trucks back. Dealer (friend and customer of mine) said take it for a few days to see if it fits your needs. I'm forever thankful to him.

To keep it short, I will never own a dually truck as long as I'm working and need it for everyday use. Perhaps when I'm retired and only drive where and when I choose I may feel different.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #50
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
No recommendation here. Just wondering why it has taken 50 post to figure this thing out.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #51
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
No recommendation here. Just wondering why it has taken 50 post to figure this thing out.
It doesn’t take 50 post. People wont to convince you that you need what they have.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #52
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
MY F350 SRW S/B FX4 with the 11,500 package has plenty for my 3730FL. When I researched it the DRW only added 500lbs to Gross and the extra width I thought would be a pita for parking at the mall so I went single. What I think the DRW does give you is some more stability on the highway so if parking it is not an issue, go for it. Bottom line, I'm very comfortable with my ride.

Good luck and congrats on the new rig.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #53
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have pulled my 34' Montana in some pretty strong winds and I was vrey sure of my SRW truck however even semi's have found themselves on there side because of wind. So don't think just because you have a DRW bad crap can't happen.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote