Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
Angry shackle bolt problem

about two months ago took our 2018.5 331rl HC in for some warranty work. One of the items that I asked to be checked was a loud creaking noise from the Door side rear suspension.
DEaler told me that they would only visually inspect because Keystone would not pay them to check it.
Called Keystone to complain and was told that the bushings were a wear item and not covered under warranty,
Well it turns out that the rear shackle bolt is broken in two inside the shackle mount. This was found by me when I tried to torque all of the shackle bolts on my own. I did find that at least three were not set to the 8o lbs specs, besides the broken one.
Any body have any suggestions on how and why this bolt broke.

and the dealer has now submitted a warranty claim to keystone to replace the bolt. waiting to see what they now say to the claim.

Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
According to Dexter, the torque for the nuts on the shackle bolts is 50 ft lbs, not 80 ft lbs. Page #67, and the specs for Shoulder Type Shackle Bolt with 7/16" threads. https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa....pdf?sfvrsn=42

I believe your rig does not have the wet bolts installed, and if not, this would be an excellent time to do the upgrade with the bronze bushings and the bolts with the zerks that can be greased. If you broke one shackle bolt, I would suspect all of them should be replaced. http://www.morryde.com/products/70-h...le-upgrade-kit
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
thanks Bob, I will adj back down to the 50 lbs. CW is installing the lippert never fail bushing and shackle some time next week . Still looking for the reason the bolt would break. Could it have been from the dealer moving the rig with a fork lift to move it around their lot?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It could be that the bolt was just defective. The rig is really too new to believe it was metal fatigue. Not sure where these bolts and the rest of the hardware is made, but if the bearings are Chinese, odds are the other hardware is made there too. I had to replace a broken leaf spring pack, and they are also China made, so I'm thinking the steel coming from China is not the highest quality going to the RV manufacturers.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
You may want to carry a 5/8'' bolt and lock nut I believe 4 and 1/2'' long as a spare. I had a wet bolt break and found out in my driveway while inspecting the suspension and installed the grade 8 bolt for a 1200 mile trip then installed a new wet bolt when I got back home. You could install new bolt if need be on the side of the road or preferably at a truck stop or rest area. You will never know what caused the bolt to break but it could have been you hitting a pot hole. My wet bolt breaking confirmed my decision to install I.S.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
According to Dexter, the torque for the nuts on the shackle bolts is 50 ft lbs, not 80 ft lbs. Page #67, and the specs for Shoulder Type Shackle Bolt with 7/16" threads. https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa....pdf?sfvrsn=42

I believe your rig does not have the wet bolts installed, and if not, this would be an excellent time to do the upgrade with the bronze bushings and the bolts with the zerks that can be greased. If you broke one shackle bolt, I would suspect all of them should be replaced. http://www.morryde.com/products/70-h...le-upgrade-kit
WOW! 2018 High Country doesn't have wet bolts from factory?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Just another example of why the HC is cheaper. I am sure there are many items that fit into this category that help reduce the price of the HC.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
Broken hanger

Checking brakes I noticed the brackets holding the shackle bolts were broken off or cracked. Scared the crap out of me. Took it to neighbor who has a welding shop and he cut plate steel and re-welded all the hangers and then welded steel plates cut to fit on each of the hangers. Put wet bolts in at the same time. Monty is a 2010 model 3455SA with at least 8 round trips from upstate NY to Key West, ( Great being a Snow Bird ) Unit now hauls like a dream.
docport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
CW is putting in liperts never fail bushings and shackles this coming Tuesday. Hope this solved the problem.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Hate to tell you this , but everything WILL eventually fail and life time warranties are just about worthless. Example: just called otterbox (which has a lifetime warranty) to get my broken cell phone belt clip replaced. They said, sorry we don't make them any more for your old (maybe 4 yrs old).

I don't think you are going to get any better than a properly greased wet bolt system, short of going to the mor ryde IS
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Agree with beeje!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
you probably don't have wet bolt, but, if these are wet bolts, they do crack when the tiny hole is...that is just the way they are.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #13
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I had the Never Fail bushings and shackles installed on my SOB and they failed. Sent info to Lippert who asked about torque settings, etc. I could not answer cuz I had someone else install. I decided to go with the MORryde wet bolts (that have not failed) because I wasn't going to take a chance of installing the Lippert product again. The difference in cost between the two systems is minimal. If you do go with the Lipperts, I would suggest CW document the ft lbs settings, just in case.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is why we have the Mor Ryde IS system on our 13 3402 and had it on our 06 3400
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #15
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I have the torque recommendations from lippert tech support as being 35 to 5o ft lbs. I will make sure that CW knows this when they do the install next week.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Hate to tell you this , but everything WILL eventually fail and life time warranties are just about worthless. Example: just called otterbox (which has a lifetime warranty) to get my broken cell phone belt clip replaced. They said, sorry we don't make them any more for your old (maybe 4 yrs old).
This has happened twice with me. I sent the first belt clip back to Otterbox and had to pay something like $5. I decided it was not worth it on the second one which broke in exactly the same place (I expect you know where it was).

I mentioned it to my daughter who said, "Dad, I can pick one up for you." She did, and that was in a relative small city of Longview, Texas. It was from some kind of resale shop. I recommend this over going through Otterbox. It was immediate and cost less and works just as good--in fact it is a real Otterbox belt clip.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote