Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #381
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Covers,

Anyone have luck finding a good quality cover that fits a 380/381? Im on the fence about getting a cover vs getting a portable rv garage. really leaning towards the garage as it would be more convenient, just more work to clear an area to set it up.

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #382
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
Yes. In fact many of the areas are starting to turn yellow. We're going to end up repainting the ceilings next year. Very poor quality.
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #383
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
Save your 400 or 500 bucks you'd pay for a good cover and rent a enclosed storage unit. The covers tear and shred in strong winds...
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #384
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodgod1 View Post
Save your 400 or 500 bucks you'd pay for a good cover and rent a enclosed storage unit. The covers tear and shred in strong winds...
I agree, not a big fan of covers anyway. Looking at some storage options as I have 2 campers & like to have them at home. I am leaning towards a cover system that goes on top of 2 or more shipping containers, since I have two 40 ft hi qs.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #385
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
Yes call BAL customer service at 1-574-596-8277 speak to Michelle & just tell her you would rather install them yourself, say they are just starting to drip. They probably cost 20$ with shipping, if you look on utube they fit tight & you will never see them.
I just ordered the drip trays. I took Michelle a bit by surprise as that number is her cell phone. She suggested calling Norco customer service at 574-262-3400 and ordering part number 108 000 003. They are $4.41 each shipped. I ordered 4 for my 381.

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #386
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
I didnt realize it was her cell, that was the number Norco cust service gave me, I am going to delete it.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #387
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
I didnt realize it was her cell, that was the number Norco cust service gave me, I am going to delete it.
She was okay with my call. Just maybe a little surprised. She did know the part number off the top of her head though, so I guess that's an indication!

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:37 AM   #388
Phizzie

M.O.C. #22825
Couple issues with the heater....

Hi everyone! A few firsts for the wife and I, first trailer, first post, first issues with the 381 (which we love!). Ok, we're new full timers and after a month we still love our trailer. No serious issues. The question I have is we have run the heater for the first time (other than walk thru) and have found a couple things. First, the bathroom and (more importantly) the bedroom don't have nearly the airflow that the kitchen and living have. Perhaps a disconnected (or crushed?) vent line? How can I check this? In the basement?

Second, again with the heater. This one is a bit strange but want to know if anyone else has experienced this. The heat kicks on and all is well BUT the kitchen floor fills with air and lifts ever so slightly! I would have thought the flooring would have been glued on?!? Clearly it is not. Now, it doesn't lift much but there is definitely air getting in there and once the heat goes off, the floor goes back to normal. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm thinking the best way to handle that one is to pull the vents in the kitchen and seal up the flooring there and all will be well. Unless the air is coming from elsewhere, then I don't know where to start.

Any input is appreciated. Safe travels to all.
Phizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #389
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
I fired up the furnace a few days ago and noticed that the air flow diminishes the further away from the furnace. I think that is to be expected with a long run. Didn't notice the floor rising and I was walking around barefoot. For the floor to rise when the furnace kicks on can mean only one thing. Good luck finding it. I would try to see where the floor rises first when starting the furnace, that may get you closer to where the leak is.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #390
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I use two different sized foam “noodles” or slit pipe insulation if you will smaller inside larger around the hose. Fits tight, easy to put on and take off and it even looks good
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #391
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Couple issues with the heater....

Phizzie, Wife and I just spent a week in RI. While up there we used the furnace quite a bit and noticed the same thing. While walking through the galley barefoot I noticed that there was a direct line between the two vents in the floor that seemed to be raised a bit and was quite warm. Step to either side just a bit a a noticeable difference in temp. Must be a leak somewhere. Also, when trying to use the thermostat in the stateroom the furnace will not work even though it shows that it should. I was thinking I could use the heatpump with the thermostat in the galley and the furnace with the thermostat in the stateroom. Instead I had to use the control in the galley for the furnace in used the fireplace up in the saloon. Used the ceiling fan to help move the air around. 35* outside and a bit too warm inside until we found the right combo for the two.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #392
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Just an FYI, we found a a few more leaks in our 381. It seems Keystone can't figure out how to keep out water, the four rear storage compartments leak between the frame & siding. Thankfully my wife saw a little water & turns out none of the frames had any sealant behind them. I removed all four & each one had water behind the frame with random beads of silicone that did nothing to seal them, on top of that the frames would move when the doors closed breaking the thin bead of silicone. I cleaned them up, installed butyl tape & reinstalled, also shimmed them so they are square & parallel. Scrapped the extra butyl & in a couple of days Ill caulk the outside of the frames. This is the same problem I had with a slide out window & I plan to reseal all of them in addition to every seal. we really like this camper & want try & keep it from falling apart.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #393
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTom View Post
Phizzie, Wife and I just spent a week in RI. While up there we used the furnace quite a bit and noticed the same thing. While walking through the galley barefoot I noticed that there was a direct line between the two vents in the floor that seemed to be raised a bit and was quite warm. Step to either side just a bit a a noticeable difference in temp. Must be a leak somewhere. Also, when trying to use the thermostat in the stateroom the furnace will not work even though it shows that it should. I was thinking I could use the heatpump with the thermostat in the galley and the furnace with the thermostat in the stateroom. Instead I had to use the control in the galley for the furnace in used the fireplace up in the saloon. Used the ceiling fan to help move the air around. 35* outside and a bit too warm inside until we found the right combo for the two.
That would be nice: able to use both heat pump and furnace at the same time. The bedroom thermostat says furnace but it is not hooked up. The kitchen thermostat controls either the heat pump or furnace, depending on setting.

I seem to recall reading in one of the manuals that the heat pump is supposed to turn on the furnace if it can’t keep the set temp. I’ve not seen ours do that. And we’ve come to the conclusion that the heat pump won’t pump heat below about 40 F. So if the forecast is below that I set it for furnace.
Snowy
dlscott185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #394
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Ours will go from heat pump to furnace automatically, we have only used the heat a few times & twice it kicked on the furnace.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #395
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
Thanks for the input. How does it work: change the setting to furnace and heat to set point, then go back to pump? Or stay on furnace until you manually change it back?
Snowy
dlscott185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:52 AM   #396
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
I don't think its cold enough now, but when it gets a little colder I will try it out & let you know.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #397
daveandsheri

M.O.C. #23151
Extended warranty? yes or no? Average price?

I have heard valid points on both sides of this question. thoughts?
daveandsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #398
karen.morgan@morrisbb.net
Established Member

M.O.C. #22321
We purchased an extended that covers everything inside and out for 5 years. It was roughly 5000.00 but given the issues we have had so far, I am glad we did for when warranty expires from Keystone
karen.morgan@morrisbb.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #399
N1282X
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22428
I have a TH381 and both catches are already drilled for locks...
Jeff
N1282X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #400
fredetteb
Established Member

M.O.C. #20521
Pivot Door Problem

The pivot door has constantly been coming unscrewed from the top carrier trolly. I don't understand how, but that's a question for another day.

Has anyone found a way to secure the bolt from the door to the trolley so that it doesn't unthread?
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote