Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #21
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We just traded our 2010 for a 2017. For us, that says it all.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #22
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
We had a 2014 3402RL and loved the floor plan and functionality of the coach. I found the quality was less than I would have expected considering the price paid. Most RV's have quality problems and Montana is no exception. I experienced several minor problems with ours which were easily repaired by myself. Two larger problems included repeating failure of the grey and black water tanks even when great care was taken to protect the tanks from over filling or traveleing with fluid in them. Montana was contacted on the failure of the 3rd tank and I was informed that they have not had any problem with tank failures. They were of no assistance to correct the problem. Frame on my model was found to be too light and a change was made to a larger frame, of course after the purchase of mine. No assistance was provided on the frame failure and I eventually traded it off for SOB. Part if not all of the problem I experienced was a result of purchasing the fifth from Camping World. They have a great sales experience but really suffer when trying to provide service or after the sale assistance.
I would not rule out purchasing another Montana but would go in with eyes wide open and never would I purchase from Camping World.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #23
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Yes we would we had 3 of them and had good luck with all of them.

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL \ 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6'7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #24
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Yes we would buy again we have had 3 montanas and have had good luck with all. you you will have little problems with whatever you buy no matter what it is the dealer makes all the difference's

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL \ 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #25
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Yes. Have had others over 43 years. For the money Montana is the best bang.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:55 AM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Absolutely not or any other Thor product.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 AM   #27
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Currently shopping for a used DP coach so we can return to full timing. I am 80% confident that we will end up with a large DP pulling a long enclosed trailer. However, there is still a 20% chance we won't find exactly what we want and will turn back to a fiver for full timing like we did before. If that happens, it will be a Montana.

For us the Keystone Montana line is the perfect price point. I can spend less than $40,000 for gently used which leaves $40,000 to $55,000 for the TV. IMHO all Rv makes have quality control issues.

Buying a much more expensive different brand just means you will be that much more disappointed when sometime goes wrong.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #28
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
DEALER PREP! Choose your dealer very carefully. If your dealer does a thorough pre-delivery and corrects anything on the spot you are likely to be happy with your Montana. I am not speaking of a walk-through but a hook-up and systematic test of all systems over a 2 or 3 day span.

We have purchased 2 Montanas from the same dealer and have been very happy with both. Neither has had to go back to the dealer for anything over the 10 year period.

Yes, we would buy another Montana provided we could buy from the same dealer.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #29
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Our usual practice is to buy a good car, truck, boat, or RV. Maintain it as stated by the manufacturer or keep it current such an RV. So--we have only purchased 1 RV--a 2006 Monty 3475--we still like the floor plan. As a retired engineer, I have often wondered if the RV manufacturers believe their products can be towed 5000 miles per year and not fall apart. On our Monty--replaced televisions, awning, shackles, tires, furniture, and lots of small items. I expect I would do the same with any other SOB. Yes, cosmetically the decals have disappeared. So--if anytime in the future, I will seek a good Monty dealer and shop again for a Monty--still knowing I will have to keep it up with annual maintenance.
At the 10 year mark, I am replacing the furnace and the polarity reversing switch that operates the slide outs. I have talked to a few other Monty owners with older units--same problems. So what else will fail at the 10 year mark??
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #30
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Yes, if I were in the market for a mid-range unit. I understand that all brands have their issues because there's a lack of QC throughout the industry. It's not right but what buyers have to deal with if they want a RV.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #31
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
All RV's no matter how much you spend will have issues. I have over 40 years of RVing experience with many brands and I can assure you that Keystone RV by far has some of the worst customer service in the industry. Their products are poorly assembled with almost no craftsmanship. My 2005 Montana was and will be my last Keystone product. My current 5th wheel is a KZ Durango Gold and while it does not have quite the flash or bling that a Montana has it's build quality is superior to Montana or for that matter any 5th wheel in it's price point and to me that is the more important aspect. So to answer your question NO, I will never own another Montana
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #32
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
Thank you all for the replies!

I didn't do an actual count but it appears the opinions run about 50/50..hmmm. While I do not have the years of experience under my belt many of you have my dealings with my FT took me to school quickly. It seems around 2006 quality in the RV market started to decline..it's almost criminal in my opinion. One thing I did enjoy about owing my Foretravel was the forum...great people with a ton of knowledge that would do anything they could for you...it was a highlight of ownership. Just in my first post here and reading the replies I can tell the same applies to the MOC! WOW...great replies....thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question....I continue to look and research...have a great day everyone, travel safe!
See ya,
dave
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What I think I have seen here since 2004 is the quality has went downhill. It seams the older units do have less quality problems the new ones. By quality problems I mean major stuff not nitpick that I could fix myself.
The question is can you do better? Our neighbor just bought a $125000 5er. He is going to haft to take it back to the factory. On one of the slides the top of the frame is broken. Instead of plywood they used OSB and it pulled apart.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #34
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
No.
We did look at new 5th wheels last year (many different manufacturers including Montana) but found none that were worth the money they were asking.
I would not buy a new Montana unless the build quality and warranty process improves significantly. I won't roll over and make excuses for the RV industry as a whole by saying that they all have problems. That just lets the manufacturers off the hook and gives them no motivation to improve.
As for my 2010 3150RL, I have maintained it meticulously and find the build quality to be mostly acceptable. The only major problem I have is uncommanded slide creep which I've paid over $4,000 to have fixed. It never got fixed and I finally decided to stop wasting money and move on. I bought slide locks and install them whenever I put it in storage. No more slide creep.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #35
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
DEALER PREP! Choose your dealer very carefully. If your dealer does a thorough pre-delivery and corrects anything on the spot you are likely to be happy with your Montana. I am not speaking of a walk-through but a hook-up and systematic test of all systems over a 2 or 3 day span.

We have purchased 2 Montanas from the same dealer and have been very happy with both. Neither has had to go back to the dealer for anything over the 10 year period.

Yes, we would buy another Montana provided we could buy from the same dealer.
*2 on this. Going for just the lowest price w/o researching the dealer and the quality of the prep work will probably guarantee disappointment. Also personal prep work matters too. Make sure you are prepared and take the time on delivery and if the dealer isn't willing to do that with you, find another dealer. Also recognize things will break, not may break, will. The key is being able to resolve the minor things yourself (loose trim/items, minor fit issues, adjusting items, etc) without getting worked up and save the major items for the dealer and service. This is like owning another house except it goes though minor (major) earthquakes every trip so there is a higher wear/repair factor involved.

And right now, almost all trailer manufacturers are going through growing pains. I live not too far from Elkhart/Goshen region and due to the major sales boom and growth they are seeing, they can't get and keep help and are cranking out trailers as quick as they can. I am sure this has hurt quality to some extent though I seems they are working to improve this through a variety of job training initiatives in the region. We'll see.

Lastly, remember that on forums like this and others are designed for people to get help on their units so you will hear much more on the issue vs positives of brands.

Good luck and yes, Montana would be on the list of replacement brands I would consider.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #36
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Have owned several 5 wheels starting with a Prowler, 5 Cougars (3 new ones/two used) then a new Crossroads Cruiser loaded including full paint (pile of junk) and then went back to Keystone product and bought our Montana. Yes we would buy another, have we had some issues (yes) did we have issues with the Cougars (no) did we have issues with the Prowler (yes) did we have issues with the Crossroads (oh hell yes !). We bought the Montana just prior to retiring so we have put thousands of miles on it and used it a whole bunch so I expect to have some issues, has it left us stranded on the road (no) has it left us where we couldn't use it (no).
Went to the Tampa RV show last winter and quite frankly nothing we seen there would entice me into trading the Montana in. We will buy a Montana or Grand Design for our next unit god willing of course.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #37
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Have to say, no I would not. 4th camper in 10 years, some were less expensive Keystones, and a high end Jayco. All had "very minor" new camper issues but this thing is a nightmare. Buyers remorse every single day.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #38
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Since we've not seen any brand or floor plan that we'd like as much as ours, I doubt we'll be buying anything else. Even if there were a new unit, we've gotten all the bugs out of ours and customized it the way we like it. Don't want to go through all that again.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #39
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
We have had good travels & good luck with out 2010, 3075RL Montana. A while ago we had thoughts of a new fiver for no other reason than we "wanted one". After reading some of the quality control problems with the brand, & the response, or lack of response from Keystone, I think we will stick with the unit we have. I realize that a small percentage of the units are having problems, & those are the one that are brought to the attention of this forum. Regardless I'm not willing to take a chance, roll the dice, & give Keystone well over 50K to see if we get lucky.
John
Old 10-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #40
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
dke 1955, if you are looking for amenities any where near the Foretravel you'll have to look at the very top of the line 5th wheels, not Montanas. They will a require a truck bigger than the standard 350/3500 diesel dually that haul Montanas around. JMHO, but if you are going from a Foretravel to any 5th wheel, you will not be a happy camper.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote