Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Pulling in CA

I keep reading posts over the years about pulling a 5'er in CA and special licenses and such. Is there something important I need to know about making a trip into CA with my Montana? I've already done it twice from my home in Utah, but will be doing it again. Was I unknowingly breaking some law? Now I'm worried...

Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
No, Mark,

You are fine if you have an out of state license. Only people stuck in California like me, that have to be licensed in Cali have to have the requirements. My son is a CHP officer in Cali, and he says he would never bother pulling over an RV, unless they were being really stupid. Unfortunately everywhere in Cali the speed limit is 55 mph when pulling a trailer. I go about 59, and no one seems to care.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
At 59 mph you are probably being run over, every trip I pulled through California I was making people unhappy by doing 55/60 even though it is the speed limit. Now there is no problem if you're in a 44' motor home you can keep up with the traffic so long as you don't have that dreaded trailer. ;-)

Oh yeah watch out for the motorcycles splitting the lanes, scares the crap out of you. Another of California's brilliant laws from yesteryear that shouldn't be allowed today. Any more I really try to stay out of that state, at least the southern part.

Tom Marty
Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
As stated, you are only held to state regulations your rig is licensed in.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
Old 04-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
How about that stretch of I-5 North of Bakersfield? Pavement in the right lane is so rutted and potholed it is unsafe at ANY speed.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
How about that stretch of I-5 North of Bakersfield? Pavement in the right lane is so rutted and potholed it is unsafe at ANY speed.
That is why Gov. Moonbeam and his cohorts in the legislature just passed a bill to raise our fuel/gas taxes (another 13 cents for gas/ 20 cents for diesel, per gallon plus registration fees) to pay for improvements by using Decomposed Granite instead of asphalt or concrete. I kinda wonder what they've been using the previous taxes for..... oh I know.... bike trails and the boon doggle Super Train (to knowhere). If I was younger I'd leave here. At least Hiway 99 is abit better than I-5 north of Bakersfield.
2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
Old 04-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I have not driven hwy 5 in years, but use to drive it every few weeks in the late 70's. It was really nice then!! All I know now, is that a bunch of Arizona highways are also in really bad shape. The Nevada highways seem to be real nice, as well as Utah.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I just drove I-5 north from Bakersfield a few days ago. That stretch was pretty much all repaved 3-4 years ago but, due to the heavy truck traffic, it is starting to show some wear. The trick is to straddle the white line if traffic is light. Otherwise, run with your tires on the right-hand fog line and you will miss most of the damage.

On the subject of the 55 MPH speed limit, I have been towing in CA for 50+ years. You are safe at speeds up to 62 MPH or so. Try to flow with the trucks as they know what works. The Fed-Ex guys are the best. They push the allowable limit constantly. The CHP occasionally executes a "Zero Tolerance Policy" exercise and then they will ticket anything over 55 MPH. If the truckers are slowed to 55, you had better do likewise.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
At 59 mph you are probably being run over, every trip I pulled through California I was making people unhappy by doing 55/60 even though it is the speed limit. Now there is no problem if you're in a 44' motor home you can keep up with the traffic so long as you don't have that dreaded trailer. ;-)

Oh yeah watch out for the motorcycles splitting the lanes, scares the crap out of you. Another of California's brilliant laws from yesteryear that shouldn't be allowed today. Any more I really try to stay out of that state, at least the southern part.

Tom Marty
I don't think the new Split Lane Law will scare the crap out of anyone, it can only be done at speeds below 30 mph, and the cycle can only go up to 10 mph faster than traffic flow, it is designed for rush hour traffic in areas like LA, not much of a factor for RV travelers
Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I just got back from a trip to the land of fruits and nuts in a car, and I can tell you that people out there drive like Kamakaze pilots. I have driven a fiver out there, years ago, and I'll never do it again.

If you are towing, you are required to maintain 55 mph, and stay in the right lane. Just do what you need to do, and let the idiots swarm around you.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Scattershot.....
"the land of fruits and nuts"..that is because the majority of the fruits and nuts of the world are grown here, not because of crazies and loons. I remember in Basic Training, the D.I. would ask a recruit, "where you from, boy"...and they would answer...every remark back from the D.I. was, "only steers and qu**rs are born in ......." so, the term is pretty generic dealing with CA. BTW, I worked in Denver/Aurora area back in the late '90's contracted to US West, and traffic was nothing to sneeze at either, so I would say, in general.....some drivers stink no matter what state they are in. Like you said in the last paragraph, that is the way to go, no matter what state your in.
2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
Old 04-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Denver traffic has only gotten worse since the 90s, believe me. I'll stand by the Kamakaze pilot statement, though. At least it all seems to work out there, the drivers here are just nuts.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #13
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
RonD are you saying the lane splitting law is a new one? At thirty mph it is probably a bit safer but overall I still think it is another poor law. The reason I ask is because years ago coming into town on the Ventura freeway we were all going well over 30 mph and the bikes we're going by us at more than 10 mph faster. It was not like they were going by us one at a time. It was extremely nerve racking for me and my family. I have also found out that even if the law says 30 mph their will be lots of bike riders that will break the law, same as car and truck drivers.

Tom Marty
Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #14
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
There are crazy drivers in every state, and crazy people in every state. I agree about motorcycle lane splitting. I don't like it either. Most splitters are going much faster that 10 mph above the flow. Like others said, watch the truckers and go the same speed. I usually set the cruise control at 60 while traveling in my home state of California. Sit back and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #15
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Trailer Towing License Requirements in California

From dmv.ca.gov

A noncommercial driver license is issued in the following two classes:

Noncommercial Class A
Noncommercial Class B
A Noncommercial Class A license is required if you tow:

a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.
a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighting over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire.
a livestock trailer that is not for hire, weight over 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, and is operated within 150 miles of the farm by a farmer to transport livestock.
A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:

A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet.

Exemptions: Holders of a commercial Class A or B license, a noncommercial Class A license, and all fire fighter license classes.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
allmi01
Established Member

M.O.C. #13124
Just a question for all the CA residents driving diesels. CARB requirements for all diesel trucks (registered in any state).

As I recall reading, CARB via CHP? can stop any diesel vehicle and do a opacity test of your exhaust and also check to ensure your engine and all emissions components meet CARB requirements and certifications.

I know I am one person who will not travel in CA anymore as my truck has non-CARB certified modifications. It also does not have the CARB required DPF filter in the exhaust system not will I modify my truck to have one. No DEF, no regen cycles. I'm legal in Illinois where I live.

Apologies for the rant here but it is something to consider when travelling in CA with diesel TV's.

Mike
Old 04-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
As 1Retired06 said, you are only held to state regulations your rig is licensed in.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
allmi01
Established Member

M.O.C. #13124
Not so as far as CARB is concerned. Their website clearly states they will enforce CA CARB rules on all diesel vehicle. The commercial trucking industry is heavily impacted however there is no exclusion for personal vehicles according to CARB.

If someone knows differently, please correct me. I simply do not wish to risk the very large penalties that CARB has in place. It's my personal choice.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmi01 View Post
Just a question for all the CA residents driving diesels. CARB requirements for all diesel trucks (registered in any state). As I recall reading, CARB via CHP? can stop any diesel vehicle and do a opacity test of your exhaust and also check to ensure your engine and all emissions components meet CARB requirements and certifications.
Actually this applies to Heavy Duty Trucks and Buses, not your light duty truck.
(ref: https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/hdvip/hdvip.htm )
The intent was to reduce the excessive emissions from the older, black smoke billowing, trucks and buses. Unless you have a modified light duty truck, with vertical stacks up along the cab and burning bunker fuel emitting a mosquito killing cloud, the chance of getting stopped by a pissed off LEO, who just paid to have their smog compliant vehicle inspected, is less than being hit by lightening *AND* winning the lottery on the same day.

Quote:
I know I am one person who will not travel in CA anymore as my truck has non-CARB certified modifications. It also does not have the CARB required DPF filter in the exhaust system not will I modify my truck to have one. No DEF, no regen cycles.

First let’s remember DPFs, DEF, etc are not just CARB requirements, they are also Fed EPA ones. You don’t mention what truck you have. If it was built before the various smog devices were required, then you are golden wherever you go. But since you wrote you have “non-CARB certified modifications” one has to assume your vehicle came with some or all of them and which have since been removed. Even so, this is no reason to not travel in CA. Do you realize how many vehicles are on the road at any time in CA? Certainly some of those are others who believe as you and have modified their smog systems. I know at least three who have done it. But I have lived here a long time and remember the smog in LA in the 70’s. The smog reduction actions have improved the air significantly. I am pretty sure your area has had its problems with smog or even worse, acid rain. It’s not that I like the smog equipment, but I like the results.

Quote:
I'm legal in Illinois where I live.
Are you? Your Profile says you live in Aurora, OH. Aurora is a city in Portage County. Therefore, it is registered in an E-Check county (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, or Summit counties) which requires an emissions test. (ref: https://www.dmv.com/oh/ohio/emissions-testing )
This applies to all vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less. If you have a 250/2500 type truck you are required to have a bi-annual smog check. Now if you have something over 10,000 lbs GVWR you appear to be exempt from the reoccurring testing *IF* your noncommercial vehicle with gross vehicle weight ratings of more than ten thousand pounds passed a one time visual verification and inspection by an Ohio EPA representative. (ref: http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/3745-26-12 (C) (2) ) One can only assume the purpose of the inspection was to ensure the existence of applicable smog equipment. I doubt the DMV would be pleased to hear it had been removed. Plus it appears there is a mandatory smog inspection at time of sale. It might be prudent to keep all that removed equipment for a while.

Not coming to CA because of perceived smog requirements seems to be overly cautious. But that’s your choice. Besides there are too many tourists here already filling up the parks and attractions.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #20
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Wow I can't believe how California is looked at by others. I live in the state and drive commercial trucks and pulll my big Montana everywhere and have no problems. CHP isn't going to bother anybody from out of state unless they spot a infraction. The carb deal does not affect the light trucks pulling not for hire. If they set up to check trucks it is done at a CHP scale. The guy pulling a 5'er does not have to stop.
CHP and Carb will not bother out of state rec. vehicles. Unless there is a infraction.
Closed Thread