Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #21
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
We bought the 3790RD in 2015, been living in it since last June on the road and still loving it. Lots of storage, put everything heavy in back rear storage areas, large front storage has very little in it at all. We do carry two folding electric fat tire bikes up there when travelling. Bathroom is adequate, shower is good size, lots of storage inside and good amount of storage inside for cloths. No issues however I would prefer the steps inside to living room area and bedroom areas to be like the newer ones as ours are carpeted. On my to do list when we get back to Ontario Canada in April/May. The fact the trailer has essentially 3 separate areas is great and seems to keep us from feeling cramped up after a few weeks which has been an issue in other models we've had. Good luck ........

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #22
Simpson9508
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13509
One consideration that I forgot to mention above is that if you add a washer and dryer to the 3791 you will lose the 3 shelf closet on the right side of the hanging close closet. Without those 3 shelves clothes storage may be a problem for a full timer.
Simpson9508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #23
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2010 View Post
We found only one dealer West of the Rockies we would consider doing business with and we looked in CA, AZ, NM, CO and Texas. A good way to sort them is to call first asking about having work done on a rig. If you get the "did you buy it here" question, keep looking.
What dealer did you find that you felt good about? We live west of the Rockies and are planning to buy in about 3 months. That info would be good to know.
warsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #24
Karen Whitney
Established Member

M.O.C. #19017
Send a message via AIM to Karen Whitney
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Karen, something I forgot to mention...
If I read your post correctly, you plan to full time immediately upon purchase of an RV. I recommend you take a few trips first to break it in. You will find some issues. Better to have warranty work done while you still have a stick and brick instead of having to take your "home" in for repairs and having to find a place to stay.
JMHO
I agree! We will probably be in it for a while here in our town before heading out. We are getting an apartment right now for 3 months while we look for one. IF we find one before the end of the 3 mths, we'll put it at a park here. Then we have some commitments here in town until the middle of July. The lease will be up July 1st. So either way, we'll have some time in it before we leave the area. AND, we may be purchasing it in another town anyway . . . we are trying to find a FOREVER WARRANTY dealer to buy the RV of our dreams. We don't have one here. There are 3 towns within about 2 & 5 hrs from here that we can buy from. So we're good there. Thanks!
Karen Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #25
Karen Whitney
Established Member

M.O.C. #19017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson9508 View Post
One consideration that I forgot to mention above is that if you add a washer and dryer to the 3791 you will lose the 3 shelf closet on the right side of the hanging close closet. Without those 3 shelves clothes storage may be a problem for a full timer.
We've pretty much decided that we are not getting a W/D . . . I want the space for clothes and he is worried about leaks. So laundry mats it is.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #26
Karen Whitney
Established Member

M.O.C. #19017
Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
What dealer did you find that you felt good about? We live west of the Rockies and are planning to buy in about 3 months. That info would be good to know.
We haven't picked a dealer yet. Just decided on the 3 floor plans this week. AND they are available from a dealer that answer the question about warranty work "Did you buy it here!!" . . . so I've been told. We are probably going to be buying from a dealer that offers the FOREVER WARRANTY. There is one about 2 hrs away and 2 others that are about 5 hrs away.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #27
Karen Whitney
Established Member

M.O.C. #19017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAwolcott View Post
We recently bought the 2017 3791. Although we've only had it out a couple of times, we love it! We too looked around for quite a while for the "right" full time rig. We still have a couple of years to go before that happens though. One thing we are planning on doing in the den is removing one of the sofas. Since it will just be the wife and I, we don't need that much seating; I am going to build a shelving unit in place for pictures and the wife's Christmas village and what not.
I would LOVE to do that too . . .or a desk. However, one of the reasons for this model is so that we have two sofas for company when we have the son, his wife and 3 boys come visit. BUT that may only happen once or twice and the parents may never come. Hubby wants the option . . . just in case. IF we get the Solitude, the sofa might fit under the back storage. LOL
Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #28
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Centennial in Grand Junction, CO.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #29
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2010 View Post
Centennial in Grand Junction, CO.
Thanks......
warsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #30
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah Karen we have the "forever Warranty" that came with ours it is a nice little perk it covers pretty much everything EXCEPT the slides and 6 point auto-level and all ya gotta do is take it in once a year for 100 bucks for them to make sure everything is working properly OR you can have a certified Mobile mechanic come out and do it as well either way not a bad thing that they just throw in with the Purchase
Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #31
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Montana

Mine is so old it really won't count, But my wife and I bought a 2004 2955RL we bought from the origenal owners, A couple in there 70's. The other day my wife and I were going around to RV shops to get information about installing solar and a new battery bank. I'm still recovering from back surgery, so even though I normally do my own work. But wife and Dr. say know. Anyway we endend up at the Montana dealer where the previuos owners had bought ours from. The kid was very nice and helpful until he found out we were installing the solar unit on a rig that old. he even asked if I was sure I wanted to spend that much $$$ a rig that old. I told him mine was probaly built better then anything on the lot. Now all my solar panels, 4 6 volt batteries, inverter oh yeah and I just order a new Converter mine works but I think its time to upgrade. So if I was going to buy a new Montana. It wouldn't be from the montana dealer in sonoma County. If this guy wasn't so worried about how old my RV is, I probaliy would have had them install the solar. Now I go out in the garage and look at all my packages. And droll
Mel
Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #32
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Karen,
I apologize if this has already been mentioned. If you are going to live in your RV full time you need to pay attention to the carrying capacity of the units you are considering. That is how much weight you can put in it. The 3791 can carry an additional 3,490 lbs. many other brands can't carry that much.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #33
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundwc16 View Post
The biggest ugly we have encountered is Keystone, & total lack of customer support. The selling dealer is their customer, not you or I. Problems, or questions with the unit, or if you need parts their answer is contact the dealer. Keystones' answer is "call the dealer". As we travel & need something, when we contact the local dealer, the first question is "did you buy it here'
John
Yup, it's called the blame game. It's their way of weaseling out of responsibility for defects/ poor workmanship. Integrity and accountability seem to be foreign concepts to them.
"did you buy it here?" is a tool to avoid product support.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone is not a dealer they are the manufacturer. The only repair facility Keystone has is the service center in Goshen, Ind.Keystone is not a parts vendor the parts come from the many vendors used in the construction of the RV. Yes if you need a repair the response is see your dealer.If you need a part the response is order through your dealer.
We have never in 11 years of travel in our Montana had a dealer ask us if we purchased it there. When we have a problem that requires repair when on the road we call the service center relate our problem and what part of the country we are in and they have always cleared our service with a nearby dealer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #35
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Quality, or lack of, is not limited to Thor. If you read the RV.net Open Roads forum you probably already know that there does not seem to be any brand that does not get postings about quality issues.
No....it's cheap, sub quality, no quality control THOR.....garbage...trash..had many other brands, by far, Thor is the worst..fenders flapping in the wind, outside molding disintegrating in the sun. , cables for slides, the thinist roofing material I've ever seen..axles not aligned from factory, trim above slides falling down, .... ours stickered at 92000..... looking back I'd have to think hard. If it were 45000..... garbage...trash, junk....
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #36
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I guess a "forever warranty" would be a placebo for some. I'd hate to be at the mercy of any dealer's service department. Hopefully you'll become handy at many repairs on your own. Being handy lowers the stress level and lengthens your ability to sport a full head of hair. Fixing things is part of any RV'ers lifestyle.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #37
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Keystone is not a dealer they are the manufacturer. The only repair facility Keystone has is the service center in Goshen, Ind.Keystone is not a parts vendor the parts come from the many vendors used in the construction of the RV. Yes if you need a repair the response is see your dealer.If you need a part the response is order through your dealer.
We have never in 11 years of travel in our Montana had a dealer ask us if we purchased it there. When we have a problem that requires repair when on the road we call the service center relate our problem and what part of the country we are in and they have always cleared our service with a nearby dealer.
Will you pass along the number for the service center? That would be nice to have on hand.
scottz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #38
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
No....it's cheap, sub quality, no quality control THOR.....garbage...trash..had many other brands, by far, ............
I guess I misread the postings on the other RV forum. I thought sure that user reports were about quality problems from other manufacturers also.

So from your first hand information, all the Thor owned companies such as Airstream, DRV (Mobile Suites), K-Z, Jayco, Crossroads, Cruiser, Heartland, Redwood, and others produce sub quality products. And everyone else produces high quality products with no issues. Good to remember.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #39
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
We bought our first new to us montana, last year, it's a 2004 2955RL. I bought it from the origenal owner, it's imaculant except I wanted to have a new awning installed. Couldn't do it myself due to back surgery. The first RV dealer in my city said "Did you buy it here"
No, then we won't work on it. So I went 10 miles south where the origenal owners bought it new from the Montana dealer. First question was did you buy iy from us. I said know but I'm the second owner and it was bought new here just not by me. So I talked to the manager and was told normally they only work on coaches with the owner that bought from them. I told him that was bullshit and hes just pampering to the people that our buying new coaches. I ended up ordering a new canvass on line and my son and a friend put it on for me. Last year I bought my wife a new car, I had a warrenty issue we went to a dealer in another town, and I was never asked if I bought the car from them!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #40
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Tell us how you REALLY fell there dfb, cables for slides? UMM yeah most do thinner roof material than anybody else??UMM No,Fenders flapping in the wind??RARE axles not aligned?? VERY RARE COME ON MAN! and like BB TEX said before Thor owns MANY brands and they are ALL JUNK?? and anything Forest River and Winnebago are SOOO much betterQUOTE=dfb;1063146]No....it's cheap, sub quality, no quality control THOR.....garbage...trash..had many other brands, by far, Thor is the worst..fenders flapping in the wind, outside molding disintegrating in the sun. , cables for slides, the thinist roofing material I've ever seen..axles not aligned from factory, trim above slides falling down, .... ours stickered at 92000..... looking back I'd have to think hard. If it were 45000..... garbage...trash, junk....[/QUOTE]