Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #21
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
When we ordered our new Monty we asked the dealer about the residential fridges. I really wanted the RV one as we boondock about twice a year, but my wife wanted the residential one. The service manager took us out behind the shop where they had 11 residential refrigerators sitting there. He said that was the ones he'd already replaced since the first of the year and it was March then. At that time they didn't have a good life span, but now I just might go with the home style next time even though my wife loves the double RV one we have now.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
...The service manager took us out behind the shop where they had 11 residential refrigerators sitting there. He said that was the ones he'd already replaced since the first of the year and it was March then. ...
That really doesn't make any sense. Our refers in our stick houses last for decades. The roads we travel aren't that bad. My guess would be people are not using Pure Sine Wave inverters. I'm not an electrician and can't explain the difference, but I do know PSWs should be used with residential refers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The more you are hooked up to shore power the less you need an RV refrigerator. If you boondock a lot like me the RV model is the way to go. If you are hooked to shore power every night go with the residential model.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When our RV fridge cooling unit failed we replaced the cooling unit with a quality cooling unit from a Amish place Goshen, Ind. Set on 5 I have to chip the ice cream out with a ice pick and at times put in in the Micro wave to soften it enough t o scoop it out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #25
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Just my two cents. We've now had (3) Montana's with RV fridges. The newest one keeps ice cream solid. But, just like floorplans, it will depend upon how you use your RV. If I stayed in RV parks all of the time, spent a lot of time in very hot weather I would probably go Residential. We live in the mountains, boondock a lot, spend weeks at a time off the grid and the RV fridge works great for us. Good luck with your decision. There isn't a right or wrong in this - there's what will work best for you.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #26
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Adding to Golfmedik's revelation of the crapped out residential fridges he was shown .... as in most all things RV in our price range, what accessories get put in them are toward the low end of the product line. I doubt if the residential fridges being installed stray from that statement. Camping World by Kansas City had quite a collection of crapped out residential fridges as well last Fall. However ... as has been pointed out ... both sides of the fridge choice has had owner satisfaction.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #27
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Have we heard from a MOC member that has had their residential crap out since they started installing them in Montanas???

Not to my knowledge.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #28
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Our RV reefer has worked just fine for going on 6 years now to include keeping ice cream hard. Having said that, IF the RV unit bites the dust it WILL be replaced with a residential unit. We no not boon dock.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #29
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
That really doesn't make any sense. Our refers in our stick houses last for decades. The roads we travel aren't that bad. My guess would be people are not using Pure Sine Wave inverters. I'm not an electrician and can't explain the difference, but I do know PSWs should be used with residential refers.
Think about it. The unit inside your home never as ambient air temps above probably 75 degrees or below 65. The one in an RV will experience temps far above and below that. Look at the specs on one, and find what the max. and min. operating temps are. Doesn't matter if you boondock or not, the inside of your rig will get hot and cold all the time. That, along with how much we dry camp is why we're happy with an RV one.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #30
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
We are now on our 5th RV, 4 of them 5th wheels. We've NEVER had any problems with the RV refers, even up to outside temps of over 100 degrees. The newest one, in our 3810 is a Norcold, as was the previous one. This one is large, 18 cubic feet. So far it's doing just fine. The wife freezes ice for our water cooler, in 3 pound chucks. Never had a problem with them being hard as a rock. One thing that RV units ARE notorious for, is air stratification internally. There are aftermarket kits that can take care of that. The new Norcold has figured that out. It now has built in circulating fans in both the refer and the freezer to take care of that. We shall see how it does as time goes by. I've got gages in both fridge and freezer to check things. We let all know if we find anything of importance.
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #31
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
IIRC, the service manager stated that all of them had bad control boards in them and it was cheaper to replace the unit than to repair it at that time. Keep in mind this was March of '16, so I'm sure adjustments have probably been made to stay in the new market for the fridge companies.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #32
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Wink

Quote:
We are now on our 5th RV, 4 of them 5th wheels. We've NEVER had any problems with the RV refers, even up to outside temps of over 100 degrees.
My experience as well.

I wouldn't try to convince anyone, not even suggest to anyone, but just to report of our experience of 20 years and almost 100,000 miles of fifth-wheel traveling--not full time, but trips of a month or so.

We have had four fifth-wheels, each of a different brand. All had stock RV refrigerators. Our first was a well used model. We had to replace the cooling unit in that one. All the other fifth-wheels we bought new. All the refrigerators worked great: ice cream firm, etc. We have traveled many miles with the refrigerators OFF. More recently we have been using the propane while traveling. Of all the problems we have had, the refrigerators (except for that first one--and it was a total failure with a leak, it worked fine before failure and after replacement) have never been a problem.

Now, I know posting this is a challenge to FATE, and I may pay the price. But I am not challenging those who have a different experience or opinion.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #33
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
We replaced or norbomb with a residential last year after it almost burnt our Monty up with dogs inside. The residential has run flawlessly this past year and we will never own another r/v with a bomb in it. Just my .02$ worth
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 AM   #34
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The "which refer" question is one that should be asked of those who have had both models. If you have only had one type, you have no basis for comparison.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #35
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Have a 2015 3790RD with the RV fridge, large 4 door model and no issues at all. Bought the RV model as we boon dock at bluegrass festivals throughout the summer months. My sister bought the residential fridge in her Monty at the same time, they had 4 six volt batteries installed at time of purchase and when they boondock with us they have dead batteries by the second day and need to run their generator for hours to charge them up for the night time. They don't have a spot to store the trailer between weekends that has power and have to empty it out every Sunday. So glad we bought the RV fridge and she wish's she had done the same..........
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #36
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
I assume that most residential fridges run off an inverter. Are they still pulling off the batteries even when plugged into shore power? If so does this affect the life of the batteries.
warsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #37
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
I assume that most residential fridges run off an inverter. Are they still pulling off the batteries even when plugged into shore power? If so does this affect the life of the batteries.
Think it depends on the inverter. Our Magnum has a built-in transfer switch, so once shore power is applied it sends it directly to the Fridge outlet and the Inverter goes into a sleep mode.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #38
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Think it depends on the inverter. Our Magnum has a built-in transfer switch, so once shore power is applied it sends it directly to the Fridge outlet and the Inverter goes into a sleep mode.
Perfect.....Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #39
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
No when plugged into shore power the residential refrigerator runs off the 120v AC the power pedestal provides. you can keep the inverter running, but it will go into pass thru mode and just monitor the 120v AC passing thru it. It is not pulling from the batteries until you unplug, then it switches to Inverter mode.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #40
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
No when plugged into shore power the residential refrigerator runs off the 120v AC the power pedestal provides. you can keep the inverter running, but it will go into pass thru mode and just monitor the 120v AC passing thru it. It is not pulling from the batteries until you unplug, then it switches to Inverter mode.
Great info.....Thanks.