Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2016, 03:03 AM   #21
MtnGuy
Established Member

M.O.C. #15788
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

The HCs are designed to be pulled with a 3/4 ton truck.
The High Country 5th wheels may be designed to be towed by a 3/4 ton truck, but in reality only the gas engine 3/4 ton trucks may still be within the GVWRs....and really close even with the lighter weight gas engines setups. Many of the diesel 3/4 ton trucks weigh 7500 lbs. or higher empty. With 3/4 ton trucks grossing at 10,000 lbs, that leaves only 2500 lbs. for a hitch , the family, and the pin weight of the 5th wheel. With HC empty pin weights starting in the 2100 lb area (and much more when loaded), I venture to say that most diesel 3/4 ton trucks pulling any HC would be over GVWR.

MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:30 AM   #22
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
My knowledge of the HCs is limited to the ones we saw when looking in 2012 and '13. Because of the fit and finish problems in the HCs; slide floors did not match the permanent floor, trim falling off, etc, we went with the Montana and got the 6 pt leveling, fireplace, etc that we wanted. We are in it for up to six months at a time and are completely happy with it.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #23
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

Bama I am curious on the leveling system. In 2015 they only had 4 point electric leveling, at least in all the models that I looked at. Is the 6 point something they added in 16 and is it electric or hydraulic?
When we were shopping the 2015 models in late 2014, the 293RK and the 305RL had four point electric leveling. The 338DB and 343RL had six point electric. I'm not sure about the 318RE.

After we got the (considerable number of) bugs out during the first year, and after I've added several custom modifications, we have grown to really like this camper. The wide body is technically illegal in several states because of "permanent appendages" like the awnings that make it too wide when added onto the 100" body width, but I haven't had any problem with that. I suspect that's why they quit making it.

I wish though, that I had 6K axles on the thing like the late 2015 and 2016 models do. My loaded weight is approx 4720 lbs on each of the 5200 lb axles.
I'm thinking about upgrading those when I do a brake upgrade to a self adjusting brake in the next month or so.

Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:24 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The HC floors aren't level with the main floor. As for fit and finish they are all built by old world craftsmen.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:35 AM   #25
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bama Camper

Quote:

Bama I am curious on the leveling system. In 2015 they only had 4 point electric leveling, at least in all the models that I looked at. Is the 6 point something they added in 16 and is it electric or hydraulic?
When we were shopping the 2015 models in late 2014, the 293RK and the 305RL had four point electric leveling. The 338DB and 343RL had six point electric. I'm not sure about the 318RE.

After we got the (considerable number of) bugs out during the first year, and after I've added several custom modifications, we have grown to really like this camper. The wide body is technically illegal in several states because of "permanent appendages" like the awnings that make it too wide when added onto the 100" body width, but I haven't had any problem with that. I suspect that's why they quit making it.

I wish though, that I had 6K axles on the thing like the late 2015 and 2016 models do. My loaded weight is approx 4720 lbs on each of the 5200 lb axles.
I'm thinking about upgrading those when I do a brake upgrade to a self adjusting brake in the next month or so.

I was a little worried about the axle rating and my total weight after a trip to the scales. so after a little research I found the difference between a 5200 lb axle and a 6000 lb axle is the spring pack has one more 5 inch long leaf on the bottom of the pack and the outside bearing is just a little larger the inside bearing is the same size on the 5200,6000,7000 axle. I changed the springs packs for $29.00 each and the brake drum that uses the larger outside bearing for $58.00 each from Etrailer. The axle tube thickness (3/16") and the (#42) spindle, brake size are the same on both axles. A little more leeway is a good thing.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #26
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:
I was a little worried about the axle rating and my total weight after a trip to the scales. so after a little research I found the difference between a 5200 lb axle and a 6000 lb axle is the spring pack has one more 5 inch long leaf on the bottom of the pack and the outside bearing is just a little larger the inside bearing is the same size on the 5200,6000,7000 axle. I changed the springs packs for $29.00 each and the brake drum that uses the larger outside bearing for $58.00 each from Etrailer. The axle tube thickness (3/16") and the (#42) spindle, brake size are the same on both axles. A little more leeway is a good thing.
That's good information. That would be a lot less expensive than changing the whole axle.

How heavy were you on each axle when you weighed?
Old 04-01-2016, 03:24 AM   #27
Harold Pittman

M.O.C. #13664
We have a 2013 HC 343RL. Before the camper was 2 years old the paint had faded off the front cap and Keystone would not help us out any on getting that fixed. We've also had electrical problems to the point we had to cut a couple of trips short and head home. Our local dealers service dept has not been able to figure that out either and all they have done is check all the plug ins and tighten up the connections. We have not been back out in it yet to see if that solved anything. We really like the camper when things are going well, but, the paint situation on the front has really turned me off on Montana's. I try to keep my stuff clean and looking well, but, not much is going to help the front of that camper other than a new paint job at my expense.
Harold Pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:38 AM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Harold welcome to the world of RVing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #29
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Harold Pittman

We have a 2013 HC 343RL. Before the camper was 2 years old the paint had faded off the front cap and Keystone would not help us out any on getting that fixed. We've also had electrical problems to the point we had to cut a couple of trips short and head home. Our local dealers service dept has not been able to figure that out either and all they have done is check all the plug ins and tighten up the connections. We have not been back out in it yet to see if that solved anything. We really like the camper when things are going well, but, the paint situation on the front has really turned me off on Montana's. I try to keep my stuff clean and looking well, but, not much is going to help the front of that camper other than a new paint job at my expense.
We used to own a 2012 343RL... Had the same issue with the front cap fading and decal peeling.

Keystone wouldn't help us either.

Because of the faded front cap we took a hit when we traded it in for a SOB...

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #30
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bama Camper

Quote:
quote:
That's good information. That would be a lot less expensive than changing the whole axle.

How heavy were you on each axle when you weighed?

Cat Scale said 4062 lbs on the rear axle, 4240 lbs on the front axle, 2180 pin weight, 10400 lbs total on the road no water. Tows real nice and the trucks don`t push me around at all now. I don`t know if the 5th air bourne had anything to do with that or the Saluins but I feel real comfy now at 80 miles an hour ( no, just kidding ) I travel 65 max.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #31
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Bama Camper so after modifying the stock axle to a higher rated axle are you still with in your GVWR that came with the trailer? Did you need more capacity or did you just want a higher weight rating/insurance that gives you piece of mind. It looks like you were well within specifications.

Tom Marty
Old 04-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #32
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:

Bama Camper so after modifying the stock axle to a higher rated axle are you still with in your GVWR that came with the trailer? Did you need more capacity or did you just want a higher weight rating/insurance that gives you piece of mind. It looks like you were well within specifications.

Tom Marty
It's confusing the way the text ended up placed between the quote lines, but I think it was bshgto who did the modification. But yes, I think it's a good idea also just to get some "headroom".
Old 04-07-2016, 03:06 AM   #33
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
I saw that ,don`t know what I did wrong
Old 04-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #34
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
I tried to add something to this thread but somehow my post got attached to someone else's post. I guess I pushed the wrong button sorry. I`m the one who changed out the spring packs and brake drums with the larger out side bearings to increase the axle capacity to 6000 lbs after seeing them on the new HC`s. My thought was Keystone isn`t going to put an extra dime in the manufacture of the units unless they have to. So they know something I don`t about HC`s and 5200 lb axles. I just know after the Sailuns, 5th air borne, springs and bigger bearings my unit is rock solid going down the road now unlike before.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #35
alrod1212

M.O.C. #21036
We purchased a 2017 Montana 3790RD last spring. We have been RVing for 30+ years and have owned many RVs. We planned on full timing and owned a 2016 Cedar Creek prior to this. The quality is far inferior in the Cedar Creek though the inside appears to be equivalent. Little things kept breaking and since we decided we wanted to go to a different floorplan anyway, we opted for a 5th wheel and knew the Montana to be top of the line in construction and quality. Don't think you will ever be sorry for going that route. Of course, we once owned a Tiffin Phaeton motorhome and gotta say we miss that one! Hope this helps and good luck!
alrod1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #36
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
High Country is way lighter with less insulation and construction materials are significantly different than the Montana, level up systems are different, finish's are different inside and thus the pricing reflects such. I bought the Montana my sister bought the HC Montana, she loves hers, I love mine however we use our Montana about 10 months of the year she uses hers about 2 months of the year. All RV's have their issues so one brand over another is subjective however as we are talking Montana's here we are talking same manufacturer. Comparison wise they are two different beasts designed for two different uses. 3 Season vs 4 Season and right now Florida is cold as heck, our electric fireplace is keeping our Montana toasty warm without use of the furnace, I can almost guarantee if we had the HC we would need alternative heating appliances and or use of the furnace due to the construction differences. So the question you need to ask yourself is what use are you planning, what accessories do you want/need (hydraulic leveling/slides vs not) and also what finish's you want. That should assist the decision, just remember there is a reason you can buy a HC for $15,000 to $20,000 less than a Montana... at least in Canada that is the difference....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #37
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
High Country is way lighter with less insulation and construction materials are significantly different than the Montana, level up systems are different, finish's are different inside and thus the pricing reflects such. I bought the Montana my sister bought the HC Montana, she loves hers, I love mine however we use our Montana about 10 months of the year she uses hers about 2 months of the year. All RV's have their issues so one brand over another is subjective however as we are talking Montana's here we are talking same manufacturer. Comparison wise they are two different beasts designed for two different uses. 3 Season vs 4 Season and right now Florida is cold as heck, our electric fireplace is keeping our Montana toasty warm without use of the furnace, I can almost guarantee if we had the HC we would need alternative heating appliances and or use of the furnace due to the construction differences. So the question you need to ask yourself is what use are you planning, what accessories do you want/need (hydraulic leveling/slides vs not) and also what finish's you want. That should assist the decision, just remember there is a reason you can buy a HC for $15,000 to $20,000 less than a Montana... at least in Canada that is the difference....
Yes, there are differences. Not as many as you suggest. Fireplaces have a small btu difference, I prefer the 6 point electric over hydraulic, both a "zero rated" ~ check the insulation in both to see why, both are full time rated, most HC now have the 12" frame, Most have the 7000# Dexter axels and the same wheels, but HC has a cheaper tire. Main AC is the same but 2nd is 13.5 instead of 15K both are ducted. There are differences that cause a price difference. The reason I went with the HC is because Montana did not have the floor plan we wanted.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #38
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Insulation, floor thickness, Heated tanks are the reasons for the comments regarding heating not btu's of fireplace.

There are many differences in construction... can't say there isn't, those reasons are why the HC's are far less pricey...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #39
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
our first Monty was a Mountaineer, 2007 342PHT we bought because of a back bedroom with 4 bunks for the 3 kids, great layout, loved it, a great rig, but the kids move on to college, we moved on to SOB, then now a Montana, is the HC the old Mountaineer version?

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #40
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
One thing to note here is that Montana does NOT offer the same floor plan as a High Country 380 or 381TH. If you want to be able to carry your toys it will be on the OUTSIDE of a Montana!! PFFFFTTTTTTT........

And as for towing with a 3/4 ton? I don't think so on the 41.5' triple axle TH models!

It had nothing to do with how much the unit cost. It had everything to do with the floor plan! If they had offered the TH basement garage on a higher end coach we would have bought that instead!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote