Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #121
FiveOfastback
Established Member

M.O.C. #20763
That’s been mine exactly!

FiveOfastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #122
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOfastback View Post
That’s been mine exactly!
Mine has worked perfectly, but only 2 adults, no children and very few visitors.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #123
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Flimsy and Hardware Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
We have the pivot door and it feels really flimsy. It really doesn't seem to help with easier access and it also catches the vanity drawers if they are open and someone opens the door.

I am not a fan and when it fails I will replace it with good old fashioned hinges and knob.
We've had our 3731FL for a couple months and just got back from a 3 week trip. While I like the design, it is certainly flimsy. The previous owner may have already done some work on ours, but it needs more. Some hardware is loose and has caused part of the door to split. Some of the clearances just aren't right. I'm going to attempt to repair it this time. But would like to hear if you have any success with a replacement door when the time comes.

Someone else had mentioned that the door doesn't open all the way. That's simply a hardware issue from what I can tell. Hardware should be attached with flathead screws and screws should slide under the swinging hardware to allow the door to open all the way.
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #124
summer home
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21038
our 17 375Fl has the pivot door... it is OK..I keep forgetting the strange way it opens and get myself jammed up....
No hardware issues... yet!!! have put about 8,000 miles on her........
love the front living room, hate the fact that you cannot get from the front to the bath/bedroom with the slides in......
summer home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:15 AM   #125
travelcade
Established Member

M.O.C. #23237
Although it looks good on paper we have had nothing but trouble with the pivot door on our 2018 3820fk. Got our Monty around Thanksgiving and DH has worked on that door at least once a week since then. I'm ready for hinges.
travelcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #126
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
As an update ... I pulled our bathroom door out two weeks ago. Not sure about the rest of you, but ours appears to have had the top plate that mounts to the door installed upside down (securing nut inside the door). The bottom had the nut outside the door giving the hardware more clearance from the door. After a measurement of the distance between the swing arms to verify it would fit, I turned the top hardware around to match the bottom and actually flipped the door, top to bottom & outside to inside, to put the damaged piece inside the bathroom. FYI ... the door knob is centered top to bottom, so a flipperoo is easy. This was an aesthetic preference on my part to keep the undamaged, "nice", side of the door on the outside of the bathroom. That maneuver requires rotating the door latch hardware, but not a big deal.

It has been reinstalled. After one adjustment to the hardware placement on the top pivot point of the door to improve clearances, it's working better than when we took delivery. We'll see if rattling down the road on our next trip changes that any, but I'm hoping that all the screws and glue does something to keep it working good for a long time.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #127
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
door

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemitchell59 View Post
As an update ... I pulled our bathroom door out two weeks ago. Not sure about the rest of you, but ours appears to have had the top plate that mounts to the door installed upside down (securing nut inside the door). The bottom had the nut outside the door giving the hardware more clearance from the door. After a measurement of the distance between the swing arms to verify it would fit, I turned the top hardware around to match the bottom and actually flipped the door, top to bottom & outside to inside, to put the damaged piece inside the bathroom. FYI ... the door knob is centered top to bottom, so a flipperoo is easy. This was an aesthetic preference on my part to keep the undamaged, "nice", side of the door on the outside of the bathroom. That maneuver requires rotating the door latch hardware, but not a big deal.

It has been reinstalled. After one adjustment to the hardware placement on the top pivot point of the door to improve clearances, it's working better than when we took delivery. We'll see if rattling down the road on our next trip changes that any, but I'm hoping that all the screws and glue does something to keep it working good for a long time.
Will you post some pictures of the changes you mentioned?
Old 03-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #128
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
Our pivot door works great. 20,000 miles on 2017 High Country & 0 problems with pivot door. Now refrigerator,roof leaking at air conditioner intake & a few other things is a different story. Everything is fixed now. (Knock on wood)
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #129
Reset19
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23160
Bathroom Pivot Door Noise

The Bathroom pivot door groans when we close it. It sounds like there may be a helper spring of some sort in the wall. I have tried adding some lubricant but that does not help. Our 3720 is new so I have not been inclined to break things open. Is anyone having a similar issue or familiar with the in wall component (if any) of this hinge mechanism?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #130
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reset19 View Post
The Bathroom pivot door groans when we close it. It sounds like there may be a helper spring of some sort in the wall. I have tried adding some lubricant but that does not help. Our 3720 is new so I have not been inclined to break things open. Is anyone having a similar issue or familiar with the in wall component (if any) of this hinge mechanism?
Try loosening the bracket bolts at the top and bottom of the door. If they are tight the door will be difficult to operate.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #131
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
These doors have been on boats for years.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #132
Reset19
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23160
I suspect there is a metal rod going floor to ceiling and the wood door casing has been stapled tight and is making contact. I will give your suggestion a try just to see. Thanks for the suggestion. The door moves easily and does not bind. It makes a groaning sound like an old garage door spring when being closed. The vibration/groan can be felt in the door casing when it is closed.

Thanks again and I will give it a try
Old 07-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #133
Reset19
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23160
Turns out it was a great recommendation. The top bolt holding the door was putting downward torque on the top pivot hinge causing the hinge bar in the door casing to groan in the nylon bushing. Loosening the top bolt just enough to take the torque off the hinge stopped the noise. I can now use the bathroom in the middle of the night without waking my wife.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #134
kcsather53@gmail.com

M.O.C. #23729
Pivot door is nothing but problems. Have a 2017 3791rd and this is the fourth time working on it!
kcsather53@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #135
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reset19 View Post
Turns out it was a great recommendation. The top bolt holding the door was putting downward torque on the top pivot hinge causing the hinge bar in the door casing to groan in the nylon bushing. Loosening the top bolt just enough to take the torque off the hinge stopped the noise. I can now use the bathroom in the middle of the night without waking my wife.
Thanks for following up. Glad you have a happy wife...
Old 07-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #136
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
Send a message via AIM to milsutter Send a message via MSN to milsutter Send a message via Yahoo to milsutter
We have a 2017 3790RD with the pivot door. We have had a little trouble with it, but got the most part we really like it. I just replaced the sliding mechanism a couple of weeks ago, & it operates like now like it did when it was new.
We keep the door closed when in transit.
milsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #137
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsather53@gmail.com View Post
Pivot door is nothing but problems. Have a 2017 3791rd and this is the fourth time working on it!

Same here! Same Rig, same door, same problems. DW keeps threatening to throw it in the yard.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #138
Bobbiseeds

M.O.C. #24330
We have the pivit door on our 2019 Montana High Country. Love it except the top bolt comes out at least once a week. We are thoroughly not happy with our rig at this point. They just don’t make them like they used to
Bobbiseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #139
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbiseeds View Post
We have the pivit door on our 2019 Montana High Country. Love it except the top bolt comes out at least once a week. We are thoroughly not happy with our rig at this point. They just don’t make them like they used to
After the 3rd time mine failed I redesigned the top bolt slide. The problem with the Montana design is that the entire weight of the door in held by the threads in the bold and slide mechanism. Not bad until you consider that every time you open/close the door the bolt thread have to turn 1/4 turn. After a few hundred of these door closings the threads fail.

I drilled out the threads in the slide, installed a low clearance bolt through the slide from the top down and installed a nylon lock nut to hold it to the bracket on top of the door. There are a few complications with this mod: the locking nut needed extra clearance so I had to drill a relief hole in the top of the door and add spacers (washers) to the bracket on top of the door. I will follow up with pics if I can find them...
Old 09-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #140
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchy View Post
After the 3rd time mine failed I redesigned the top bolt slide. The problem with the Montana design is that the entire weight of the door in held by the threads in the bold and slide mechanism. Not bad until you consider that every time you open/close the door the bolt thread have to turn 1/4 turn. After a few hundred of these door closings the threads fail.

I drilled out the threads in the slide, installed a low clearance bolt through the slide from the top down and installed a nylon lock nut to hold it to the bracket on top of the door. There are a few complications with this mod: the locking nut needed extra clearance so I had to drill a relief hole in the top of the door and add spacers (washers) to the bracket on top of the door. I will follow up with pics if I can find them...
I had a similar issue with my 3731FL. Bolt at the top kept coming loose and the door would slip down and bind on the lower pivot. Finally pulled the door out planning to install regular hinges and after inspecting the mechanism discovered the T-nut at the top had partially stripped threads. I got a thin locking nut and reinstalled the door tightening all the looseness of the mechanism. All seems to be solid and working good now. We'll see if it lasts. If not standard swing hinges will replace the pivot. We do like the way the pivot gives us more room to maneuver in the hall and we can use the bathroom on the road with all the slides closed. The idea is great, just the hardware came up a bit short on quality. Not what I would expect from a "Luxury" class RV. I should note it's possible the hardware is fine and it was just a poor installation since there have been several other parts of the hardware that I've had to tighten in the past.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote