Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #41
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Pocket doors would be a much better solution.

We have a 3721 model where the pocket door protruding into the hall on the wrong side of the door frame prevented access to the bath without rolling the slide out part way.

As a few of us have done we took the door hardware apart, added hinges and re-moubted it as a regular swing into the bath door. Much improved.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #42
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarMar View Post
Pocket doors would be a much better solution.

We have a 3721 model where the pocket door protruding into the hall on the wrong side of the door frame prevented access to the bath without rolling the slide out part way.

As a few of us have done we took the door hardware apart, added hinges and re-moubted it as a regular swing into the bath door. Much improved.
X2 on changing the door. We can actually get to the bath and bedroom with the slide in now. I think cost was $12 for the hinges and a door stop. Works great.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #43
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
We have the 2015 3790RD with a standard bath door, we leave it open all the time when parked as you can go up and down the stairs with no issues at all and don't have to squeeze to do so. It also allows for the bathroom roof vent to give better air flow to let heat out upstairs. I wish they would put a vent in the bedroom roof somewhere along with the ac unit.

Anyhow when we use the bathroom you simply pull the door behind you as you enter from the bottom of the stair. Similarly you open it back up as you leave and head back down the stairs.

We looked at the change in the door and we are personally glad we don't have the new design as you have to squeeze by the new design. But that is just us......

My sisters 2015 High Country Montana has a full bath door but I'm pretty sure they hinged it wrong as theirs is hinged on the bedroom side which makes it awkward all the time... I've suggested they swap the hinges to the other side which will make it the same as ours and fix their cursing problem.....LOL
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #44
FiveOfastback
Established Member

M.O.C. #20763
Pivot door problem

Pivot door is a problem
Light duty
It is now in need of replacement on our 2017 3950 BR bought sep 16
Dealer problem is another issue on warranty service. Door doesn’t close at bottom without assistance with your foot or a separate pull when outside bathroom.
First problem occurred on 3rd trip from new. Dealer said it was ok no adjustment necessary BS. It knocked the trim off hinge side. Enough it wouldn’t close. I removed trim completely to prevent it from snapping and allowing door to close fully. Dealer just reattached the trim and door still doesn’t close right.
I point this out to service advisor and senior service tech who agreed that it needed replacement. Now my trailer had been at dealer for 6 weeks waiting on a warranty dump valve issue. They screwed up and then call me and ask for dimensions of door. Don’t they have a build list for this model they sold me? I measured for them called back with info. Then dealer calls me back again and wants a photo of door, for what? WTF I blew up at service advisor. I’m 100 miles from dealer each way. When they called this time it was literally as I was leaving for a trip with camper
I was hooked up and everything locked. I’m totally disgusted with dealer and Keystone. I guess RV dealers service customer support is a problem industry wide. No one cares! As long as they make a sale!
Stay way from pivot hinge doors IMO
FiveOfastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #45
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Functioning fine on my 2017 370 BR. I'll keep a close watch now, thanks for the heads up. I may look into the possibility of just adding hinges and opening into the hallway if the problem surfaces. Hope they get yours fixed properly soon. My service advisor and service manager says all builders are the same but they have fewer problems withKeystone for 2 reasons; they sell more than most locations and are used to writing claims the way to get it done the 1st time.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #46
FiveOfastback
Established Member

M.O.C. #20763
Glad to hear your bath door is ok.
My main issue is my dealer. There is a closer Montana dealer but haven’t heard good things about them either even if you bought trailer from them new.
I’m going to try again with dealer (CW) service department. They probably have some decent mechanics but I didn’t get one with my first visit. Sorry to vent probably not forum for it but I am in customer service repair and install crap service and diagnosis doesn’t fly very well with me.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #47
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
[QUOTE=FiveOfastback;1078316]Glad to hear your bath door is ok.
My main issue is my dealer. There is a closer Montana dealer but haven’t heard good things about them either even if you bought trailer from them new.
I’m going to try again with dealer (CW) service department. They probably have some decent mechanics but I didn’t get one with my first visit. Sorry to vent probably not forum for it but I am in customer service repair and install crap service and diagnosis doesn’t fly very well with me.[/QUOTE

I've bought my last 3 5ers at CW in Myrtle Beach. One reason is the service department at both locations. Not all techs at any location is great or experienced in every aspect. I think they are all trained in systems but not in areas like carpentry ~~ found a few on the road over the years that have never gathered common sense either.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #48
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
our 2016 3720RL has the pivot door we like it with no issues yet, will keep an extra eye on it for maintenance if needed. thanks for the heads up
Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #49
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Despite 2 or 3 owners on the MOC that have rave reviews of CW service ... the rest of us know all too well that for every one CW service facility that is good ... there are probably 20 bad ones. This is universally bitched about on about any RV forum on the web. Marcus Lemonis (CW CEO) takes this all in stride and sheds it like water off a duck's back.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #50
FiveOfastback
Established Member

M.O.C. #20763
[QUOTE=CaptnJohn;1078327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOfastback View Post

I've bought my last 3 5ers at CW in Myrtle Beach. One reason is the service department at both locations. Not all techs at any location is great or experienced in every aspect. I think they are all trained in systems but not in areas like carpentry ~~ found a few on the road over the years that have never gathered common sense either.
Very well said!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #51
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Despite 2 or 3 owners on the MOC that have rave reviews of CW service ... the rest of us know all too well that for every one CW service facility that is good ... there are probably 20 bad ones. This is universally bitched about on about any RV forum on the web. Marcus Lemonis (CW CEO) takes this all in stride and sheds it like water off a duck's back.
I know of 2 CW locations (3 if both in MB are counted) that are very good. The one sells about 250 units monthly. If every CW location averaged 1/2 that they sell and service many times more than anyone else with more employees (good and bad) than anyone else. Naturally, going to get more complaints. Would never say every CW is good but research is needed just as in every mom & pop location as some of them are as bad or worse.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #52
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Oh I well agree on your summation of CW as far as sales ... the ones in my neck of the woods sell in great volume week in week out. ... it's just the fixing what they sell that is abysmal. As far as training mentioned a few replies up ... the techs in our neck of the woods are trained all right ... trained on how to short cut the job in the worst possible way to get on to the next unit with an issue. RV dealerships in Grain Valley, MO and in Tulsa, OK both owned locally for ages ... both bought out by CW ... both went from reasonably dependable service departments to service departments that are widely known for PITIFUL skill and craftsmanship. I'll not continue commenting on this subject as I have my opinion and it is surely obvious you'll not sway my thinking. Like I mentioned earlier ... just search for CW on any other RV website and grab a sack of popcorn while you read.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #53
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We have the pivot door in are 2017 352RL and like it and not had one lick of problems with it at all it's nice to be able to get by with it open.

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #54
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
We have the pivot door on our 2017 3720. I switched the swing direction of it and now can get into the bed and bath area without operating the slide. I carefully disassembled the pivot door assembly and door frame panelling and reassembled on the other side of the door frame. Took about 2 hrs. However, we are both average sized and the entry is still snug.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #55
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfuldodger View Post
We have the pivot door on our 2017 3720. I switched the swing direction of it and now can get into the bed and bath area without operating the slide. I carefully disassembled the pivot door assembly and door frame panelling and reassembled on the other side of the door frame. Took about 2 hrs. However, we are both average sized and the entry is still snug.
This is something that the designers at Keystone should easily have thought through before they decided to swing the door to the wrong side.

As we have said before we have converted our door to a regular swing in door against the toilet.

Seems simple enough to us that need a roadside pit stop every now and then.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #56
Ironbrow

M.O.C. #20790
Thumbs up We're liking the pivoting bathroom door so far

We bought the 2018 3790RD and so far the pivot bathroom door is working perfectly. The hardware is straight forward and never binds. We'll let you know if our opinion changes.
Ironbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #57
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's a lot about the model. The 3720 and 3720 won't let you in the bathroom with the slides in because of that door. The funny thing is, the door was developed to solve that problem on other models. While I'm at it, Four Seasons RV (off I-70) near Abeline, Ks has a couple of guys who used to work for a custom build shop and can and do do excellent carpentry work.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #58
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbrow View Post
We bought the 2018 3790RD and so far the pivot bathroom door is working perfectly. The hardware is straight forward and never binds. We'll let you know if our opinion changes.
We just bought a 2018 3791RD and are very happy with the door and no access problems at all. Will also keep an eye on durability.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #59
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
We have a 3920FB and it has a pivot door in half bathroom. Works well.
martyperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #60
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
We have a 2016 3160RL and have the pivot door in the bath. Had a problem right after we picked up the trailer, took it in and they adjusted it. We haven't had any problems since. We like the pivot because you don't have to walk around the door to open and enter.
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote