Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
Slider or not (Part 2)

I am new to the 5th wheel world and have a 3150RL on order and due in next month. I have been reading until my eyes hurt........LOL I found a thread back in May discussing the need for a slider in a short bed truck. It seemed to be the general opinion (overall) that a short bed should have a slider and long bed was not necessary. Unfortunately, I am in the middle with the "standard 6.5" bed. What say you now???????

Thanks for the "education".

Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A 6.5 or 6 3/4 bed are considered short beds in regards to requiring a slider hitch. If you don't get one you reduce your turning capability and some are content with that. Most folks I know with a short bed have the slider. The worst thing about it is that two persons I know with sliders forgot to engage it so you can imagine what happened.

I think the best would be an automatic sliding hitch, then it's all taken care of for you.

HOWEVER, I have read but haven't confirmed that 2011 Montana models have an improved front end that negates the need for a slider. Check with the dealer or Keystone about that. I didn't pursue this since I have an 8 foot long bed. Has anyone else heard this?

On edit: Found this on Youtube and while it sounds like the "Max Turn" front cap improves the short bed to 79 degrees, it doesn't sound like the slider is completely eliminated. Here's the video:
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Gary, I'm kind of new to this also. However, I was told by a Montana owner a couple years ago, that if I have a short bed , make sure I get a slider hitch. He told me he had put the corner on his Monty through his back window. Well, in Feb this pass year, we bought a 2010 3400RL, and I of course had the Reese slider installed. The first time I backed the Monty into my driveway, I used the slide, but noticed that I didn't need it. And I haven't used it since. The newer models has that "Max Turn" Technology, with the 79 degree truck to fifth wheel angle. I have had mine in some tight angles, without using the slide. Don't get me wrong, I not saying that I'll never need it. And as the old saying goes, "It's better have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." But like Art said, check with the dealer, he should be able to give you some more insight on the Max Turn Technology...Keep us posted....Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have a short bed 2007.5 Chevy! I also have a Reese slider and would not be without it! No, I don't have one of the new Max Turn units but I do use my slider all the time, especially if I am backing into my driveway or a tight campersite in a park.

The day I bought my unit, I was at a service station filling up with fuel(Monte not in tow). A TV pulled in and had the back window totally broken out and the cab of the TV had a pretty nasty dent in the one corner. Being the curious one I am, I asked what happened and he went into a short disortation on the use of a slider hitch. Seems he had a slider and thought he didn't need to put it in the "Maneuver position", started backing the unit into a campsite and the unit came around and hit the cab of the TV before he even knew what was going on! That was enough for me, and I had the slider put in the next day!

I don't need to pay for a new rear window, body damage on the TV cab and body damage on the front cap of the Monte! You're getting a new unit and it is up to you on whether you get the slider hitch but if I was purchasing a new unit, I'd still be putting in some sort of a sliding hitch. There are several on the market and some slide as mine does from front to back and some do it automatically. I've even read about a new set up that Reese has that will move the hitch back and forward via a remote that you use in the cab of the TV. Haven't seen it work yet but would like to see it!

Also if you are getting a new unit and a new TV, may I recommend a Blue Ox Bedsaver or something similar. It's not needed but it is good insurance. Check out the threads on here that tell you what can happen to your TV bed and tailgate if your Monte "high hitches" or comes loose from your yoke! I have nothing to do with Blue Ox except for being an owner of a Bedsaver and won't be without it either.

This is JMHO and it is really all up to you on the whole idea of a slider or not and the purchase of the Bedsaver. Good luck on your decision and let us know what you come up with!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
I was new to the 5ver world also, when we got our first hitch. I own a Pullrite Superglide, and added the lift kit for more clearance for the 5ver to the top of the truck bed. It really is an impressive unit. In addition, I like the way it locks around the king pin. I have always been very comfortable with this setup. I have the superrail kit, so once removed, I only have 4 holes in the bed. Had a exline spray put in, so no need to worry about scratching the bed.

It is an expensive setup, but so is the truck/rig combo.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have a short bed Dodge and the Pullrite Superglide. It gives me great peace of mind knowing that in any turning situation I get into I don't even have to think about the trailer hitting my back window. I, like others have mentioned. like the way the hitch engages in the Superglides. It is a very positive connection. If you decide to go this way you will get over the sticker shock of the hitch when your first very sharp turn, in heavy traffic comes up.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
We just got our 2011 3150rl. While waiting for delivery, I had a Curt Q5 20k slider installed. It will slide back 12 inches. With the Morryde hitch (which is an extended pin) and the curved front end, I may never need to use the slider as I have a ton of clearance. In looking at my set up, I'm even afraid that if I slide the hitch back, the rear of the hitch pin will hit my tail gate.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
All good posts, however, like a friend who found out the hard way, be careful when turning sharply on uneven ground with a shortbox and non slider (or one not slid back), those 2-3" you THOUGHT you had......crunch!
I saw the shattered back window and big dent in his truck.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
OK, I think I am convinced. Seems like cheap insurance to go ahead and install the slider.

Thanks to all that shared their experiences and thoughts.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Doberman,
One more thing now that you have decided to get a slider.
I learned from one MOC member who has the auto slider that he has to make sure his truck is in line with the trailer or less that 16 degree turning angle to unhook. It should not be an issue but One time I did un-hook when the truck and trailer were 90 degees. That can not be done with an auto slider. (My understand of the reason - The pin of the trailer has a wedge behind it that causes the head of the slider to turn as the trailer turns. The head turning causes the "automatic" slider to travel down a toothed rail. The tighter the turn the farther back the slide moves.

A Manual slider would allow un-hooking from a "cornered turned" position.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
One more reason for an automatic slider - A friend had a manual one and forgot one time. Took out the window and a little roof. But the extra reason is: Insurance probably treats this as two claims - truck and trailer. So 2 deductibles. If you have a somewhat high dedectible, say $500, that is a lot of change$$

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #12
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
As John stated with a SuperGlide you cannot be at more than a 16 degree angle to unhook or hitch. There is however a work around. For those rare times, you can remove the two pins that hold the hitch head on the slider, raise the rv and drive out leaving head on the pin box. To hitch up, back under head, lower landing gear, replace the pins. In the six years we have had this hitch, we've only had this situation happen once.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
OldRetiredMSGT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8879
I have a F250 Short Bed with the OEM Pucks. I want to install a Auto Slider in the truck. It seems that OEM pucks are hard to come by and are way more expensive that the ones with so called industry standard rails. How much trouble is it to convert the Puck system to standard rails and what would be the expensive. I am trying to keep the bed of the truck clean because I do use the truck as a truck and not just a towing machine.
OldRetiredMSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have always had a long bed to avoid the valid concerns expressed.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #15
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRetiredMSGT View Post
I have a F250 Short Bed with the OEM Pucks. I want to install a Auto Slider in the truck. It seems that OEM pucks are hard to come by and are way more expensive that the ones with so called industry standard rails. How much trouble is it to convert the Puck system to standard rails and what would be the expensive. I am trying to keep the bed of the truck clean because I do use the truck as a truck and not just a towing machine.
I didn't think the puck hitch was that much more money than the hitch I had in my old stranded rail bed truck.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #16
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
This is an eight year old thread.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #17
rjdreyer
Established Member

M.O.C. #19196
Checkout the pullrite auto slide. They recently came out with a OEM puck system that don't need the rails anymore. 16k or 18k

http://www.pullrite.com/products/oe-...solutions/2714
rjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #18
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Not for nothing' but the original post is over 8 years ago.
I know I just added another

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote