Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Will, I dealt with Victoria, she has limited approval ability, but she has her boss hovering above her somewhere, he can.
They will reimburse me for way less than half of my tire changing costs, a good thing I did most of the labor work myself.
Bob, please list your DOT tire date info, and call Victoria, ask for a new set of tires.

OK folks, let's post our Mission tire 'made' date; I will find mine, somewhere out in the Monte.
Here's how: http://tiny.cc/Tiredate
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #22
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
My tires have DOT 4YB3 CQ1C on three of the four on the ground. The other one has just the DOT 4YB3 on it. I have had all my tires off to replace the valve stems (another sore spot with me), so I may have my spare on the ground. I'll crawl under there and look at it when they (Tireco) requests the info.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 AM   #23
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I haven't been back to this thread since my original post, but good on ya' for starting the recall thread. For the record, I had serious problems with another brand of Chinese tires on my SOB before I bought Monty, and was leery of Chinese tires in general. When I ordered my Montana from Beaudry in Tucson, I asked if they would replace the tires or install a different brand at the factory, and they refused. I waited until I got back to Denver to replace the tires, but I was watching the rearview mirror for tread on the highway the whole trip!

It is my considered opinion that Chinese tires are unsafe junk, and should not be sold in this country.

Good luck to all of you getting this resolved. I wish I could have saved the $700, but the peace of mind has been worth it.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #24
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I have one flat and not sure what to do at this point. I just brought my compressor from home to the storage yard this weekend to put some air in the tire to keep from loosing the seal.

I am on board for whatever needs to be done!
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My Missions are 1406, 1406, 1506 and one that is blank. Think it's the one I changed out (nail) last spring. I did not crawl under to look at the spare, but would bet on 1406 or 1506. (That means my Mission mfr date is mid April, 2006. My 3400 came off the line on July 18, 2006. I currently have 8,743 miles on them and so far, no problems, but I am watching them like a hawk...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #26
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
We are currently negotiating to buy a new 10th Anniversary Edition 3000RK. They claim the 2009 models come with E range Goodyear tire.

Is that an upgrade from the Mission tire?

we had similar issues with an older Keystone Cougar - blew three of four in 6 months.

Thanks - Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #27
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Most will remember that I just went thru the Mission failure on our trip (it's on going for the summer). Tireco wanted the DOT and Serial number of the tires. We replaced all five and I went with USA Made BF Goodrich 235/85R16E Commercial ATX tires. We are now happy campers but out $854.00 and hoping that Tireco will re-emburse us some of the money. They were happy to do the trade out and authorize us purchasing a different brand based on the fact that our 3400RL was not damaged by the thread seperation.

We discussed waiting on the replacement chinese junk tires and didn't feel that waiting 6 days at $45.00/day and then having to worry about the replacement tire was worth the peace of mind of having proven good tires on the ground. I hated to spend the dollars but our safety is worth it and heck, if $850 is the worst thing that happens to me I will be okay.

It's just money, I'll make more, but I can't replace my wife or me if something happens because of defective tires.

I do whole heartly support a recall by Mission/Keystone but fear a class action suite will be required.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #28
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys I just had to buy 4 New mesas on the way back from fla. Got home and called tireco and they sent me 5 new milestars. Now!! I sat down and looked at the dot #s. Old tires dot 4YB3 CQ1C. the new tires ..SAME.. Also same tread. Old tires mfg date 2 tires mfg 1405 and 3 mfg 1505. RV purchased new 06/05. Now I have 4 new mesas, 5 new milestars, my tire man thinks mission and milestar are the same. Montana is in the back yard I am still trying to decide what to do. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #29
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Guys I just had to buy 4 New mesas on the way back from fla. Got home and called tireco and they sent me 5 new milestars. Now!! I sat down and looked at the dot #s. Old tires dot 4YB3 CQ1C. the new tires ..SAME.. Also same tread. Old tires mfg date 2 tires mfg 1405 and 3 mfg 1505. RV purchased new 06/05. Now I have 4 new mesas, 5 new milestars, my tire man thinks mission and milestar are the same. Montana is in the back yard I am still trying to decide what to do. bobby
I think I would contact NHTSA, or perhaps DOT. Sounds like they just molded a new name on the same tire. Perhaps they can use the same DOT number (don't know), but I would be finding out. Kind of like if Firestone would have put Freestone on their defective tires to keep them on the market. Never know about the Chinese, they may be just making up DOT numbers for their use.

Edit: I emailed NHTSA with questions about the DOT number and it's use. Time to get the ball rollin'. If they don't respond, I'll find another address to email or give someone a call.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #30
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good for you, Will.
Let's keep pressure on this deal, their Mission tires are just wrong.
Has anyone contacted Tireco, and demanded new tires, without a blowout, or blister, or Tread separation?
We need to set president in this matter.

(I am editing, taking out my lengthly profile for this thread)
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #31
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'll be sending them (Tireco) a certified letter this week. No response to my email thus far. Missions = NanKang: I had those before. Threw a gatorback at 55 mph.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We changed out our Mission tires at @ 12K miles because we travel a lot at interstate speeds and as we have said before we felt that was enough on any OEM tire. We had no problems at all with the Mission tires on the 06 3400. We did change out the OEM valve stems as they were causing a loss of air. From reading threads on other forums there are problems with many brands of OEM tires..mostly made in China. Something is not right but I wonder if there is enough documantation that would indicate that these tires are substandard. They do have to meet DOT spec's. Helen looked at the build date on the tires on our Shinny new 08 truck, built in 07 and noted that the tires were over a year old when the truck was built....Is that right??? We have a 08 truck with 11K miles on it and the tires are over 2 years old!!!!!!!

Although we have reported many Mission tires failures as we do report failures I wonder how many folks have never had a problem??? I am
just a curious person. If there had been a choice we would have ordered better tires on the camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #33
coupe31
Established Member

M.O.C. #6994
Are there any good tires available? On my old trailer I had Good Years and had the same problem. Ended up 2000 miles from home in small town paying out the nose for a new set of Michilins.
coupe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #34
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We've already had all 5 of the Missions replaced (within the first 18 months and no more than 12K miles) by TireCo due to one complete failure and 2 other near failures. One of the near failures was the replacement they sent to me to replace the failed tire. The tires I replaced them with were my choice on their dime because I was on the road at the time (Carlisles). Its funny, back then I posted on this site about the failures and got the normal "your overweight, under inflated, towing too fast" responses. I don't think so. Just a poorly made tire. A recall is a goooood idea and probably warranted. For all the failures reported on this website I wonder how many go unreported??

Jack
Old 05-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #35
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
This has been going on for years and Keystone apparently doesn't think it is a issue due to sales.Maybe when we order our new monty's we will not accept them with mission tires,or if we start a petition of all MOC members stating how unhappy we are with these tires and are starting looking elsewhere on our next rv.It's just a matter of time before somebody get seriously hurt or worse.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #36
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't think it is being reported.

RECALL

As evidenced in the above link.

So, how many that have had Mission tire problems on this forum have actually reported the failure.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #37
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Maybe a "Sticky" survey can be established and the information/data collected from that can be forwarded to Keystone?

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 AM   #38
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Robin, that is a good idea, this thread will document failures, and if we all post the DOT numbers of failed tires, it will help us track them.
Thanks, Ozz
Old 05-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #39
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
I still have all of the info on the tires from my original claims and will be happy to provide it just tell me where and when.

Jack
Old 05-02-2008, 05:26 AM   #40
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Robin, that is a good idea, this thread will document failures, and if we all post the DOT numbers of failed tires, it will help us track them.
Thanks, Ozz
Wonder if we might want to post on some other RV forums? Try to get everyone that has had Mission tires involved. I know some of the material I read on other forums indicated they were on other Keystone lines than Montana's. Not sure if SOB had missions or not.