Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #241
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Likely Good Year Marathons which are a low quality "made in china" ST "E" rated tire, please remember these are lowest tenders and large commodities that RV companies go for to give us that reachable Purchase Price. Lots of separation problems of the face and tread.
Many blowouts, yet some have lasted 10,000 miles with no problems. Our Good Years can off immediately when new and were replaced with "LT" tires of top quality and "Made In U.S.A." I did not want the potential risk of damaging the Monty.

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #242
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I read several months ago that Goodyear had stopped production of the Marathon tire line in China. To confirm this, I sent an email to a distributor and asked where the tires he was selling were made and he replied in the US. You may still run across old stock though, so I would watch for that.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #243
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
On June 21, we suffered a blowout on the driver's side front tire (MISSION) that ripped the sheet metal off the bottom of the trailer from just forward of the failed tire all the way to just below the access doors to the basement. TIRECO sent me a replacement tire of a different brand. I fastened some chain to it and made a swing for the grandkids. We bought five new Goodyear Marathons because that is what I was told Keystone had switched to. They were made in China. Guess I jumped from the frying pan into the fire. We will have to wait and see but I have become very conscientious about weight and balance lately. I was already very anal about tire pressures and lug nut torque.

Tim in Katy
timdenchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:42 AM   #244
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
Well, its been a year and about 7k miles on the Freestar tires that Tireco replaced my blown mission tire with and I blew the front left tire and caused $2100 damage! I'm replacing with XPS Ribs and going to try and see what Tireco will give me...wish me luck!
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #245
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
av2pilot,

That is not good news. I'm also running 5 Mission replacements Freestar tires on my 2006 3400RL. Presently have about 3500 miles on them.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:15 AM   #246
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Last year Tireco offered to replace mine, but would not give me any money towards others.
I went ahead and put on the XPS Ribs. Have about 9,000 miles on them and they look like new.
I feel a lot safer when towing at 60 MPH.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote