Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mission tire recall Thread

OK, Berridge just had a major tire failure.
Let's get some ideas posted here to force a Mission tire recall.
Come on folks, it is the right thing to do.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Won't work for me. I junked those Chinese POS's as soon as I got Monty home from Tucson, where I bought it. I'd advise others to do the same.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
What is the price that TireCo and Keystone can put on the lives of those of us driving around on what we consider new, therefore good, tires. I'm getting ready to go on a 4000 mile round trip and I'm going to be stressed wondering about the tires. I know that TPM's are a good thing to have, but now it is a top priority to prevent damage to the Montana and possibly save a life. Those conditions should not exist. An occasional blow out from road debris is to be expected when traveling our highways, but to have malfunctioning tires because of poor craftsmanship is not acceptable.

Keystone, get it right. Recall, and provide, a good tire that will last the average expectancy for tires and give us owners peace of mind. Will it take a class action lawsuit to make you come to grips with this problem when someone gets hurt?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scattershot

Won't work for me. I junked those Chinese POS's as soon as I got Monty home from Tucson, where I bought it. I'd advise others to do the same.
I am glad you had the resources to change your tires out, many of us do not, and I must add that after spending $50K Plus for a very nice 5th wheel, why should we have to add the expense of a new set of tires to replace our new set of tires??
I like your quote on Experience at your signature.
Good call, Wayne.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't think scattershot was saying it is a bad idea, rather that he has already done his own "recall", so the effort is too late to do him any good. I find myself in the same situation.

I certainly agree that Keystone should compliment their top-o-the-line coach with a more reliable tire and that owners should not have to upgrade to feel and be safe. But until something changes, that isn't the current situation.

I am not one with unlimited resources. To change out the Missions required me to sacrifice some other planned expenditures in order to find the dollars to make that change. Prioritizing has always been a sizable financial challenge for me.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
CJFOUTDOORS
Established Member

M.O.C. #6160
I've had issues with 3 on my Mountaineer 315RLS in the last 2 years. 1 blowout, 1 failure and near blowout, and 1 I took a look out the same day of the near blowout and found the tread to be all out of align. Amazing that Keystone won't put on better tires on rigs that already cost us $32K - Safety should be the first consideration. Not sure how to have a recall initiated short of a class action suit?
CJFOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
CJFOUTDOORS
Established Member

M.O.C. #6160
I've had issues with 3 on my Mountaineer 315RLS in the last 2 years. 1 blowout, 1 failure and near blowout, and 1 I took a look out the same day of the near blowout and found the tread to be all out of align. Amazing that Keystone won't put on better tires on rigs that already cost us $32K - Safety should be the first consideration. Not sure how to have a recall initiated short of a class action suit?
CJFOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Ozz, you may want to file a complaint at NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).
I would assume if there were enough complaints they may look into it and talk to Keystone.
Here is their web site.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
The idea of a separate recall thread is a good idea Ozz. If most of the owners who monitor this site and who have had a problem with the tires respond it should indicate how widespread the problem is amung us. Then it may be possible to estimate how many such failures there have been in the wider popuulation of Keystone products. This may prompt some action. Even if the company avoids a recall it may push them to make better decisions in the future. As it is they endanger us and other users of the roads. As well my unit was damaged when the tire disintegrated , as I know others have been, resulting in additional expense. Letting the dealer know even if the unit is off warranty is important too as I imagine Keystone takes their input seriously. If a tire like this had been put on a passenger vehicle I suspect that there would have been a recall long before now!
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Great idea Ozz ,, why can we not feal safe at 30,000 miles as any car or truck tire gets at least that , but they should at least last 3 years as they won't get sun damage before 3 yrs but if they sit more than than they are gonr by the sun , keep this going , lets get keystone to give us a hand at this problem..john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Scattershot, I was not saying your idea was bad, just that you shouldn't have had to take your money and buy new tires on a new unit. As I inferred, I am glad you were pro-active and took measures to keep your family safe. OH, and my wife said I was about $30,000 too low on my $$ figure.
Here is something to think about, Keystone knew about the Mission tires in 2004. My Keystone Sprinters tires failed on our new trailer, I blew one on the highway, it tore out my brake wiring on the passenger side. No brakes on the right side of the trailer, and one tire holding it up. The others had tread separation, I was held up in a small town, drove 100 miles to get new tires..in the middle of nowhere. This deal cost me 3 days camping plus all the changing labor, and 5 new tires. I had to discard the tires to continue my trip.
What will happen when two tires blow on the same side of a trailer going 60 miles an hour...or more??
Loss of control will happen, possibly a trailer on it's side, along with the truck.
berridge, this was a few years ago, like I stated, on a Keystone Sprinter trailer, so it is very widespread.
It needs to be addressed. Bob, I will send a copy of this thread to NHTSA when our members post their experiences. Every week there are numerous posts about Mission tire failure. I know Mission tires have cost me a great deal of money.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Ozz, I was lucky enough to catch a tread seperating on my '07,3000Rk while parked in my driveway. I didn't bother calling Tireco. I doubt that the replacements are any better than the Missions. I bought 4 new new Bridgestone duravis. Yes, they are expensive, but I doubt that I'll cringe every time I hit a bump in the road. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
I only have 1800 miles on my 2008 3400RL and that was running empty from Indiana where I bought it to home in Utah. I to am concerned about the Mission tires, I checked the air in them yesterday leaving for a weekend trip ,and one good thing they all still had 80 psi, and that was after sitting all winter.After reading the horror stories I will keep a close eye on them, and will post the minute I see a problem. Looks to me like a recall would go a long ways in returning some faith in Keystone. Customer loyalty should be very important to them. This is my second Montana, and not my last, but if I start having safety issues, I could start looking elsewhere
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
With you 100% Ozz
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Total agreement here Ozz. We're stationary here, but I suspect that is the only reason we haven't had tire failure. I cringe every time I think about having to rush north this summer in the event of a hurricane evacuation.

I would love to see Keystone step up to the plate and replace all the Missions, but I just don't see it happening. If enough complaints are filed, perhaps the NHTSA will take action. Lastly, perhaps class action might be considered. Only thing about class action is that some lawyer will get millions, and you will get a voucher for some more Chinese tires.

Are the Missions on other Keystone lines? What about other RV brands? Do we need to post a thread concerning this issue on other forums? Should we express our fears to NHTSA even though we have not experienced tire failure?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Will, I think Keystone should send out a notice that Tireco is willing to send replacements, even if you do not have a tire failure. I think if anyone reads between the lines, that is exactly what Tireco is doing, without any fanfare. They did not hesitate to replace mine, (all 5)they just wanted the DOT Number.
This tells me that they; (Tireco, and Keystone) know a certain batch is bad, evidently a number of years worth, as my 2004 Keystone Sprinters' tires were defective.
I would encourage everyone with Mission tires, to call Tireco and demand replacements. See if they will.
I know Chinese tires have a bad rap, but I, as a thinking person, do not believe every one they make over there is a bad tire. Maybe my replacements are not a good tire, maybe they are. No one really knows at this point. At least the replacements are another tire, I will give them a chance, I just don't have that kind of money to replace them, with American made tires.
Will, let's see if Tireco will agree to replace our tires, even without a blow-out, or tread separation. If they don't we will kick up some dust.....
Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I printed this info from a thread here recently. Don't know who to credit for it, but thanks and I'll repost for others.

Teri Lancaster
Tireco Claims Department
300 W. Artesia Blvd.
Compton, CA 90220
phone(800)937-9433 fax (310)637-8952
Claims@Tireco.com

I am sending an e-mail that will be followed by a phone call (depending on response), and possibly a certified letter. We'll see what their interest is.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job, Will.

Here is a Mission tire thread for another Forum: http://tiny.cc/Missionthread
Old 04-30-2008, 02:37 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I wanted to send a copy of my email to Keystone, but failed to find an address anywhere (search function wouldn't work). I checked my Keystone owners manual too, but no email address there either. Guess they don't want emails. If anyone has an address for Keystone Customer Service (or any of the management), they might want to post it on this thread.

Ozz, I seem to recall you were out quite a bit of expense during your tire ordeal. Did you submit for reimbursement from Tireco? If not, I would send them a certified letter demanding such. They may not be forthcoming, but the record will be there for any action that may be taken in the future. I requested that my tires be replaced at no expense whatsoever to me.

Edit: I just received the following auto response from Tireco.

Please foward all your information to this email address below;
victoriad@tireco.com or
anned@tireco.com

Thank you
Old 04-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #20
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I am all for a recall there has been nothing but bad things from the Mission tires. Why do we need to wait till there is a death or very bad thing happen to make these people wake up. I have just spent $700. for new truck tires and am not ready to do the same on a new Montana. Every time I go out the door now I look at the tires to see if they are flat, My DW is asking if we need to buy new tires for the trailer.

Found a link to some good info about tires

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content...1_RV_Guide.pdf

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote