Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #61
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacyclops View Post
Do any of you good 3500 owners know what the thread size is on the oil dipstick? .........
Thanks
You can take the dip stick to a good hardware store. Many have thread gauges and can tell you what size and thread it is.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #62
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Picked up mine two weeks ago for the hurricane that didn't come our way. (Was planning on the end of this month.) Since I found I couldn't run the previous one in the truck bed without unhooking and pulling forward so the exhaust didn't seep into our bedroom, I wanted to work a fix for this. Found that I could fit a 8" length of 1" copper pipe over 3500 exhaust & spark arrester after sawing a pair of slots in it. Took off the plastic cover & attached the pipe with a hose clamp, then put the cover back on. Also picked up some 45 degree elbows and cut pieces of pipe so I can either have the exhaust going out over the side of our truck bed and away from the trailer, OR have it going down to the floor of our garage and out under the door if it's needed for backup power in the house. Didn't solder all the joints so I can take either apart. One ten foot pipe and four elbows did it all. No modifications to the genny so warranty's still good.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #63
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
To get around that issue, as my factory installed 50A connector is on the back wall of the trailer, I had a automatic transfer switch laying on the shelf so I installed it and a new 50A connector on the side of the trailer just behind the pass through storage door. Now I can use either the original or new connector to power the trailer. This makes it easy to connect to a generator sitting in the bed of my truck.

That brings up a simple question - Why in heck does the factory install the 50A connector on the rear wall? Makes no sense at all to me as 1) it cost more to install it back there and 2) mounting it on the side of the trailer would make it more convenient.

In the photo you can see the 50A connector I installed that's just behind the front compartment door.

Which picture are your referring to. I would like to see it.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #64
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
Hi Guys,

Been kinda busy but here are a couple of photos showing you how I have the generator in the bed of my RAM 2500 and how I have to set the bed cover when running the generator. Normally when traveling down the road, the bed cover is flat over top of the generator.

The generator works fine and looks like it was a good choice - IMHO

Orin

I'm new here. I can't find your pictures.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #65
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Here’s mine. 2 HF 3500. I use a parallel kit and 6ft flexible exhaust kit to route the exhaust over the truck bed and down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98CF78F0-5AA4-4063-92F7-22A04A655C7E.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	4873  
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote