Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #101
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary and Joy View Post
I would like to put a cable replacement kit together. Please tell me what I need to get.
Thanks,
garyglamper@gmail.com
What I have:

Two of these - BAL 22305 (Amazon)
Several of these - Cable clamps 5/16" wire rope clips (Home Depot) Just make sure of the size after you get the kits as they may be 1/4" (CRS!!)

I have the cable clips instead of using the BAL Crush clamps that require a special $35-40 tool. A further note, mine are actually left overs from our 2006 Titanium that to date have never been used in 12 years

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #102
Gary and Joy

M.O.C. #21570
I like to be prepared.
Thanks
Gary and Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #103
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary and Joy View Post
I like to be prepared.
Thanks

Yep, and why I have a couple spare kits
Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #104
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
What Dave W said! But you also need cable cutter's you can get & print the service manual from accu slide off the web and keep in your paper work.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 HC 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #105
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I never have been able to figure out how so much weight is saved on a high country as two hydraulic rams for slide operation don't weigh that much. Guess the rear cap does add a bit of weight. I just chauked it up to marketing hype. This won't be first time I have been wrong. As far as models go, they are all trailers and what you like and buy is what you like. My thoughts have been more centered around the number of rv's sold the last few years and the limited campground availability...
Old 04-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #106
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
We just bought our first Montana and fit and finish as well as build is above HC but that being said there are small differences other than HC is lighter and roughly $10K cheaper but not all models are. We have 6pt Hydraulic Auto Leveling both made by Lippert but the 4 pt is slower and does the same job, we wanted a Montana as we will be living in it more and more until we retire. It is all about preferences and Affordability. If you are doing a lot of little trips the HC wins and also requires a slightly less heavy truck but if you get a 1 Ton first like we did it gives you more options and more capacity. We went with the 2018 3121RL which replaced the 3160RL Montana and we are happy with it at 12,000 lbs and 35ft it is nice and easy for our F350.

HC models are like 1,000 lbs less but tend to be longer and we do state and federal parks also just wife and I so don’t need a big unit all 4 kids are older and out of the house.

Either way they are good units but from research I did Montana’s tend to hold their value a bit more then HC.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #107
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Gary
The mfg actually has a kit you can buy

Someone on here probably has a link to their site
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #108
Gary and Joy

M.O.C. #21570
I will check that out. Thanks
Gary and Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #109
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Buy what you like for how much you want to spend. It has nothing to do Montana V High Country being full timers or part timers. I have seen full timers in a refurbished 20 ft Shasta bumper pull and they were happy with their choice.
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #110
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
2017 hc 340bh. 6 point electric,4-cable slides, it is a great unit and we love it.

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #111
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I haven't read all the rest of the posts on this thread but from what I have been told is that the Montana cabinets are made of solid wood whereas the High Country cabinets are pressed wood with a wood laminate over it. This would explain the loss of the 1000# plus for one thing. The level-ups could also take some of the weight off the High Country also. The six point level-up on the Montana are hydraulic and the rams and hydraulic system add more weight to the Montana so that could be one reason also. There are several matching units that are the same in the way of floor plans in both the High Country and the Montana's so it is all up to you as the buyer to decide which unit you feel more comfortable in and then to for the best deal you can get from the dealer. Talk to several dealers to compare pricing and also check to see that the service departments are well organized and can actually do their jobs if need be. Service is a big thing IF and WHEN you need it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #112
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Main reason we chose the Montana 3121RL was length, HC’s Close model is the 331 which was almost 3 feet longer also the deals we got on the 3121 made the price difference only $7K more for the Montana, and we got all the features we like plus I love the )Hydraulic Leveling much better then electric. We had the LCI electric 4 pt on our last unit and it was very annoying to deal with, loud, slow, and just didn’t stabilize the unit well.

Like others have said go with what suits you and what your budget allows, either are really nice units. We have some warranty items to get done on ours before next trip so Montana’s aren’t void of defects and we knew that so we are happy with our choice.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #113
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
I haven't read all the rest of the posts on this thread but from what I have been told is that the Montana cabinets are made of solid wood whereas the High Country cabinets are pressed wood with a wood laminate over it. This would explain the loss of the 1000# plus for one thing. The level-ups could also take some of the weight off the High Country also. The six point level-up on the Montana are hydraulic and the rams and hydraulic system add more weight to the Montana so that could be one reason also. There are several matching units that are the same in the way of floor plans in both the High Country and the Montana's so it is all up to you as the buyer to decide which unit you feel more comfortable in and then to for the best deal you can get from the dealer. Talk to several dealers to compare pricing and also check to see that the service departments are well organized and can actually do their jobs if need be. Service is a big thing IF and WHEN you need it!
I have to disagree with you on how to buy an RV. Best thing to do is select the specific model you want and then have the dealers fight over who is going to sell it to you till you get the very best price. Once you buy the unit at the lowest price then find the best service business (more often than not it will not be a SALES dealership)! Any dealer that says they will give you better service because you bought it from them is LYING to you!!! So work the best deal you can because there is no reason to pay thousands extra because the dealers salesman has a nice smile!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #114
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We have a HC as it has everything we wanted - and not just price. We looked at very high end units, several Montanas, Sanibels, Grand Design, Jayco, etc, etc. Sure price was of some concern but not the final determiner. This has what we wanted. If were buying again today, the HC would be at the top of the list but it wouldn't stop us from running the ol' comparison routine. Oh and the dealer - we have one ~15 miles from us but he has an 'attitude' and the service after buying our previous one from them is at best, middling so we went 135 miles and out of state to a dealer who has a good rep and a good service attitude.

Buy what fits your needs from a dealer with a good reputation is my only advice
Old 05-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #115
rgparker57
Established Member

M.O.C. #21711
We purchased a HC 330 rl. Great layout. We had an Everest 2006 we had for 11 years. Looked good as new when we sold it . The HC again is a great layout with duel links in the bathroom. The air is ducted and quiet. Pulls easy. We are using it for the second time on a trip to Alaska from California. Now the bad. The wood inside is terrible. Solid but has some paper crap covering it. Marks in it already. The outside storage doors scratch the metal Everytime I open them. It already looks older then our Everest. Bad decision for this model on my part. Will be selling when we return home after our trip. What a shame.
rgparker57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #116
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
It’s really up to what you want and the vehicle you have to tow it. I have the 2014 343 RL HC because a buddy who bought it used it 3 times and decided he didn’t like having a fifth wheel. He made me a screaming deal. So I purchased it and have used it a few weeks every summer since 2015. I will be a snowbird this winter in Tucson, so will see how it holds up. It is what others have said but so far it works for me and tows fine with my 1 ton. I am upgrading the tires, I put a front air conditioner on it as the back one didn’t seem to cool to my liking. I am changing out to a mor ryde hitch pin (I think). Other than that everything seems to work fine. I am still learning all the stuff on it and hold my breath every time I push a button to bring out or bring in the slides. Good luck!
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #117
JLorne
Established Member

M.O.C. #21760
We recently moved into our 3950BR full time. We sold our house in VA and are moving to Utah and didn't want to be rushed on either end, so we traded in our bumper pull for a 5er! We plan on spending the next six months full time.

We researched extensively and landed on the Montana 3950BR. It has all the niceties we wanted (6 point auto level, chef stove and oven, hydraulic slide system, etc. all the others have mentioned). We have a 4 y.o. and a 8 m.o. along with a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. We have been in it about two months and we love it so far. My wife will be working from home so the bonus room (hence the BR in the model) is great for an office. When the kids are home it is a great place for them to watch TV while we have the living room to ourselves. My 4 y.o. just loves his loft (bear cave as he calls it). Based on our time so far, I don't think you can go wrong with getting one. I only have two things I need to figure out:
1. the thermostats are so touchy, they were the same in our Kodiak Ultimate (Dometic). Sometimes the temp starts adjusting on its own and goes all the way up or down when you want to only make a small adjustment. It happened in our Kodiak too so its not a Montana issue, its a Dometic issue.
2. Our Kodiak had a way to loop the satellite feed into the cable outlets. All the TVs were on the same channel, but all the TVs could get the satellite coming out of one receiver. Haven't cracked the code on how to do that in the Montana yet.

We have found that living full time we have everything we need, and nothing that we don't. If I wasn't leery of Utah winters we would definitely consider taking our six month experiment out a little further!

If anyone can help me with either above issue I would greatly appreciate it!
JLorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #118
scott schulz
Established Member

M.O.C. #23312
montana HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Insulation, floor thickness, Heated tanks are the reasons for the comments regarding heating not btu's of fireplace.

There are many differences in construction... can't say there isn't, those reasons are why the HC's are far less pricey...
im sorry but you are very wrong about the high country it has the same insulation same thickness of floor same 12inch frame and same solid wood cabinets . and the high country has heated tanks. i have did alot of looking at Montanans and high country before i got my 2018 HC. the different s is electric levelers and slide moters and most Montanans have bigger slides and more slides than the HC that is how they get the weight off not the quality.
scott schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #119
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott schulz View Post
im sorry but you are very wrong about the high country it has the same insulation same thickness of floor same 12inch frame and same solid wood cabinets . and the high country has heated tanks. i have did alot of looking at Montanans and high country before i got my 2018 HC. the different s is electric levelers and slide moters and most Montanans have bigger slides and more slides than the HC that is how they get the weight off not the quality.
HC has a 10” Frame Montana has a 12” it is on their website, I looked at both and went with a 2018 Montana 3121RL instead of the HC 331
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #120
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
HC has a 10” Frame Montana has a 12” it is on their website, I looked at both and went with a 2018 Montana 3121RL instead of the HC 331
Not so~~ my HC has a 12" frame. I believe some of the shorter HCs may have the lighter frame, but certainly not longer / heavier ones.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote