Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #21
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Thanks Mike, that's probably what the drain tube is for and why the dealer tech didn't know the purpose of the tube. We live in central Illinois and sometimes the temp in the winter gets below zero, so I guess they removed the ice maker in order to meet Keystone's claim that the unit was insulated to within freezing temps to a certain degree below freezing. The original sales sticker stated ice maker included, but in the advertisement there was a notice in bold print that the ice maker wasn't included. We asked the selling dealer why it wasn't included, they said that since the refer is on the kitchen slide, they couldn't guaranty the water wouldn't freeze in winter. I guess they thought that we weren't smart enough to drain the lines for the winter or maybe antifreeze couldn't be piped into the refers water system. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 AM   #22
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
That is interesting. I bought my unit in NH, live in Maine, and have the ice maker. There is a valve under the kitchen sink to shut the water off to the ice maker and then you open up the drain you mentioned and drain the water from the ice maker. You do this if you are cold weather camping. There is also a flex line connection that is under the kitchen slide. I broke loose that fitting as well to ensure all water had drained. That said I will see if all of that was successful when I open it back up this spring. I think I would tell your dealer that you want the ice maker, because it is not an option on the 3711, it is supposed to be in the Samsung refrigerator. It is my opinion that you paid for it and it should be there. I would suggest contacting Keystone to confirm that. All that aside, enjoy your unit and travel safe.
mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #23
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
If I had to guess why they eliminated the L-shaped couch, I would guess it's too hard on the Schwintek motor. I know for a fact that our L-shaped slide works much harder to go in and out than the opposite loveseat slide. Anyone else notice that?
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #24
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
If I had to guess why they eliminated the L-shaped couch, I would guess it's too hard on the Schwintek motor. I know for a fact that our L-shaped slide works much harder to go in and out than the opposite loveseat slide. Anyone else notice that?
Possible. it does appear the slide is smaller too. probably to reduce weight and stress.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
You can see how the 3710 is almost double the size....
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #26
dhenry3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18670
Put some furniture slides under the L shaped couch. It will take the stress off the motor

dhenry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #27
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenry3 View Post
Put some furniture slides under the L shaped couch. It will take the stress off the motor
DHenry, the whole setup is on rollers including the recliner on the end. I really like your idea, though, and will most definitely try it!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #28
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Thanks Mike for your help, I'm running over to the dealer this weekend to check out their RV show so I'll ask about the location of my ice maker.

And DHenry, we're going to try your furniture slide idea too because when we run out the slide the recliner and a portion of the corner sofa stays behind so we have to shove it over. The DW has problems getting it all the way over to the wall.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 AM   #29
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
Jack

I had similar problem with my sofa. If you remove the cushions on the sofa you will find that that use one or two very small wood screws to hold the two together. They are too short and too small. One of mine had pulled out and the other snapped in half. I screwed the two half back together with a couple of 1/4" lag bolts. It now stays together fine. I would send you pics but is all wrapped up snug as a bug in a rug for the winter. I also secured the recliner better. I had the problem that if it was reclined and and you leaned forward t all the recliner would tip forward. You will find that the recliner has tabs on the metal frame that clip onto the sofa. There were hols to put screws/bolts to hold the two together but none present. Installed a couple of fasteners there and now is all set. I am a tinkerer so I only find these as minor issues but still should never get to this point. Good luck on the ice maker.
mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Mike, no luck on getting the ice maker, the dealer said our 5vr was a 1st generation production so the ice maker wasn't included even though drain tube is on the coach. As I understand it, during the production of our unit, Keystone didn't install the valves to shut the water off to the fridge so in order for them to say the camper had a certain level of arctic coverage, they had to remove the ice makers, just my luck.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:32 AM   #31
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
DHenry, this past weekend I went to Lowes and bought a furniture slider kit. At first I tried the rectangular ones but they kept slipping off the recliners rollers.. Then I tried the large round sliders, but they made the chair ride too high to stay hooked to the sofa because of the foam pad on the back of the slider. So I ended up cutting a slot into the foam of the round slider's backing and it worked great!

The slideout works noticeably smoother than it did before! I won't go as far as to say it cured it, but it is a very big difference. Thank you again for the excellent idea!! Just another example of how great this forum is!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #32
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Mike, no luck on getting the ice maker, the dealer said our 5vr was a 1st generation production so the ice maker wasn't included even though drain tube is on the coach. As I understand it, during the production of our unit, Keystone didn't install the valves to shut the water off to the fridge so in order for them to say the camper had a certain level of arctic coverage, they had to remove the ice makers, just my luck.
True, We have the same rig, but A dealer or yourself could install the shut off and the line very easily if you wanted to hook it up. Its a fairly simple install and you can get all the supplies at home depot.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #33
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Thanks Jason, but we're going to pass on the hook-up because we'd have to buy the ice maker too, they didn't include it with the camper. We bought the camper during August 2015 so we don't really have a leg to stand on. I did ask the dealer for an ice maker yesterday when we were at their RV show, they said Keystone didn't provide them with the unit. I wonder if that's true or if my ice maker is on a techs camper. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #34
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
strange our icemaker is built into the residential fridge just have to add water lines and turn it on. I didn't do it yet, because I live in New England and I did not want another thing to winterize. I just buy a bag of ice and dump it in the bin.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #35
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Well, you've got me scratching my head, I don't think the ice maker is in the freezer and I can't check because the camper is still at the dealer 50 miles away. We're picking it up in about 4 weeks so I'll be reporting back.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #36
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
3730FL: the best! Our first 5er and we love it. Had it 2 months, and have two trips already. Had brake problems, but Dexter/Keystone are replacing entire axle, hub, brake assemblies. Good on them.

BB_TX, we are visiting friends in McKinney in May. Thinking of Shady Acres RV Park. Any input on that?
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #37
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
strange our icemaker is built into the residential fridge just have to add water lines and turn it on. I didn't do it yet, because I live in New England and I did not want another thing to winterize. I just buy a bag of ice and dump it in the bin.
We have the ice maker after all. We picked up our monty yesterday and we in fact have the ice maker, but it isn't hooked up to a water line.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #38
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
We have the ice maker after all. We picked up our monty yesterday and we in fact have the ice maker, but it isn't hooked up to a water line.
Yup, same as mine. you can choose to connect a line or not, but if you do, it must run outside and up thru the slide floor, leaving it vulnerable to weather, because I live in New England where it always seems to be freezing, I chose not to connect it.

PS: If its not connected, press the ice off button on the control panel or it will buzz every few minutes trying to make ice with no water
Old 04-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #39
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Thanks Jason for your help, we probably won't hook up the water line either since we usually only go out on weekend trips; it's just as easy to buy a bag of ice. If we were full-timing, then we may hook it up, but I have 3 years before retirement. Also, we noticed the glass with ice display and made sure it wasn't showing on the refrigerator display.