Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Pre-Delivery Inspection Quality

As I wander through the many RV sites including this one, I have come to some conclusions about the Pre-Delivery process as provided by the RV dealership community in general and the inattentiveness of the soon to be owner. So many systems and questions should have been thoroughly understood by the new owners before leaving the lot. I expect it was the thrill of taking possession of their new unit and the urgency on the dealers part to get on to the next sale that has left many clueless.

There are plumbing, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, electrical, refrigeration, mechanical, technical, appliance, and automotive issues to understand. Not only how each system works, but the back up solutions when it doesn't. I know it's impossible to imagine everything that can go wrong, but at least those systems that have a manual back up should be demonstrated not just referenced. Landing gear, awnings, stabilizers, spare tires and the like, even a discussion on weight and jacking would be welcome.

I'm just curious as to everyone's experience with the pre-delivery process, particularly those new to RVing. I had a very thorough one, although I did miss a thing or two that this site and others helped me to understand.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you go to the Forum WEB page (click on HOME button) you will see a link to PDI Suggestions.

There are are four in the PDI Suggestions list. I like the second one tittled Another PDI list.

You have already done one on a previous rig per your comment. I suggest new buyers give this list to their salesman in advance so they know what to expect from you.

Great question, Good Luck, and Safe travels.

PS - If you can camp close to the deal that weekend do it and try to use everything again. That gives you extra time to find things.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
My dealer, Northgate RV in Ringgold, GA has a mature gentleman who does the PDI with the purchaser. He has done ours on the 2 Montanas we purchased from them. He does not sell for them and is VERY thorough with the PDI. Gives a customer all the time they need without rushing them.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Not a first time owner, but have owned five different RVs, from TT & 5er to van conversion & Class C. Seems to me that no matter how thorough one inspects, you still have a chance to miss something. Best one can do is make certain whatever you miss is relatively minor. My first was a used van conversion that ended up having hidden rust under the toilet pedestal - not minor! Second was a new C that I did inspect, but not well enough. The maker hadn't tightened the water feed line from the fresh water tank - messy, but not terrible. Next was a used TT that had been used full-time and didn't have anything wrong! Then a new TT, but it also didn't have anything wrong. Our recently purchased used 5er from a dealer had been supposedly inspected and also been given a state safety inspection. Didn't notice one marker light was (and had been for some time!) out & corroded - not too difficult to fix. Second was the black tank had some dried 'debris' that reduced it's capacity by about a quarter. Took multiple trips with lots of water, many power flushes and now it's empty (or at least a lot closer to it).

I used a modified version of RV Consumer's Group's walkabout made into a checklist and still missed that tank issue. Don't know how I could have found it without actually using it though. Thing is, RVs are a lot more complex than homes - yet there's all kinds of things people find wrong when buying one of those, even after having a professional inspector going through everything. IMHO, it's just like life; do the best you can and hope everything turns out right. That way you can't blame yourself for being stupid.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
When I take the delivery of a new RV, I find a campground close to the dealership or within the dealership and spend at a minimum of three days going over the unit. As an example, Dandy RV in AL has a KOA campground next door to their dealership, which they own.

This is my system:

1. Arrive at the dealership early in the morning, turn in my trade in, sign the papers for the new RV, perform the PDI using a good PDI checklist, take delivery, and spend the night at the campground testing everything. I agree with John, share your PDI list with the dealer so they know what to expect.

2. Early the next morning I arrive at the dealership to work on the PDI issues. As they are taking care of the issues or installing optional items (switching tires, poly coating the RV, treating the rugs, torquing the lug nuts, installing vent covers, vent and door screens, etc.) I am continuing to test everything again and check that the PDI items were addressed.

3. Early the next morning if needed, I address any remaining issues, thank all those involved, and head for home.

This system has worked well for me and the dealership appreciates giving them the time to address all of the issues and completing a good sale. Our last two RVs were purchased using this system and rarely has something surfaced after the PDI that we missed.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We had excellent PDIs for our Cedar Creek and our Montana. Our biggest problem was the ongoing hydraulic leak which was not noticeable when we picked up Monte. Both dealers spent lots of time showing us all the bells and whistles and how they worked. Unfortunately there is really too much to remember and the mfg only supplies generic info for the general operation. In both cases I kept all brochures/technical lit that came from the individual equipment suppliers and put them in a binder. Also take notes during the PDI so you can reference back to them. When we traded in the CC the binder went with the unit. I only hope the dealer passed it on.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We used the PDI Checklist found here and our own experience in having owned 4 campers prior to or first 5th wheel. We gave our dealer a copy of the PDI prior to delivery . Went back when they said it was ready. Still found some unacceptable items and left them to be repaired. When we returned the unit was perfect and we drove it off the lot with not a single problem that we could see. Made no difference less than 6 months later it burst into flames in Quartzsite due to sloppy routing of electrical lines and hydraulic lines which we could not see. Many other minor problems followed. We did use it hard and covered many miles on all kinds of roads. A perfect PDI will not guarantee a trouble free unit but it will pick up the poor build issues from the fact ory.... Take your time . Do not be in a rush.It took over two weeks before we were able to pick up our Montana and we had over 8 hours of personal PDI t. ime involved.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our PDI started at the front of the rig and immediately I noticed that the left front landing leg was cracked. After an hour and a half to find another and replace it it was quitting time and the rest of the PDI was rushed thru. Basically we had to figure most of it out on our own.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Our Monte is our first RV of any kind and I really had no idea what to expect. And I did not get much. The young man doing it was very nice and seemed eager to help, but really just brushed over most everything. And we did not know enough to ask intelligent questions. I think he was just a general helper there and had no personal experience of owning one. Fortunately everything worked fine and we had almost no problems figuring out how to operate everything. Looking back I think there are a lot of people who later would have had problems understanding how some of the things worked with no more explanation than we got.
Knowing what I now know I would approach it much differently, expecting a much more thorough PDI.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We bought our first Montana at Northgate RV in Ringgold, GA and was given a very good PDI that took most of one morning by a retired lady that was a full time RVer. We received a coach that was ready for use and it preformed well. Our second Montana was purchased from Lazydays of Tampa, FL and the PDI was by done by a retiree doing part time work and was a longtime RVer. This time we knew more and ask many questions and checked lots of stuff making the process take most of another morning. We have received two good Pre Delivery Inspections. The items requiring work after the sale could never have been found during a one morning PDI. We had a few warranty issues with the first coach and several with this new coach and got repairs completed at by Northgate as needed on the first rig and now by Lazydays RV in both their Tampa,FL and Tucson, AZ locations. Also, We are scheduled to have warranty work done prior to the Fall Rally in Goshen by Keystone and think that when these items are addressed/fixed we will have received good after the sale servicing.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have found in general that salesmen do not understand their product and then argue when confronted with a deficiency. The punchdown lists of needed corrections has convinced me ( first trailer perchase 1970) that most do not even look at the units, and most surprizing, at RV trade shows proudly show units with obvious problems. Our worst purchase ever was Statesville NC Camping World. Had to fight for every fix, to the point where I told them to stick their unit (purchase agreement was predicated on all deficiencies fixed). Next purchase, will spend at least three nights on site as part of the deal, or no go. Do not take the unit off dealers site umless totally satisfied.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I give my customers my personal cell phone number and tell them to please call if I can help. I hope to win my customers confidence, and friendship.
I also suggest that video the walk thru for future reference which most do. Our techs do a good job.
I just took delivery on my own 3900fb Big Sky. All I asked for was an explanation of Levelup and an explanation of the Splendide W/D. This being my second Montana, and selling them everyday, I'm very familiar with them.
I hope to serve you.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

I give my customers my personal cell phone number and tell them to please call if I can help. I hope to win my customers confidence, and friendship.
Watch what you say there Larry, I do have your number and may have to call you and have you do the PDI, you know, to save me time since you are so willing to help!!Hee Hee!!

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote