Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Cleaning The Roof

Need to clean the roof on our '05 Mountaineer. Is there a preferred method and product most are happy with.
Also what is used to protect the roof and is it applied with a mop?

I tried to do a search, but maybe I used the wrong "key" words.

Thanks in advance

Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
i have been told to NOT use anything that has a citrus ingredient as it attracts the birds and they start pecking at the roof cover trying to get to the fruit.

However, my preferred method is to have DW climb up on the roof. I hand her the brush, wetted with soap and water, and then hand her the hose. She keeps the hose up there with her and passes the brush down from time to time for new soap.

I have some pictures in one of the threads of the process, but I cannot seem to find them right now.

I hope that helps.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:24 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe that it has been extensively discussed that the roof manufacturer (Dicor) has okayed the use of dawn dishwashing detergent and a mop. That is what I will be using next week to prepare for the summer season.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Wayne, Bingo thank you. Are we supposed to seal or coat the roof every so often and if we are what do you use.

Again thanks
Ray
Old 05-15-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Just did it last night...dawn dishwashing detergent and I used the soft bristle RV brush. Did a fairly good job, but doesn’t remove all the stains…but most.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Haven't heard of anything to use as a sealer??? Maybo one of our other members will chip in with knowledge.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dicor's rep at our rally in Goshen a couple of years ago gave a presentation. He suggested their products and a medium bristle brush.

Prior to Dicor coming out with their own cleaning products, their website recommended Dawn dishwashing liquid. But only the kind with no scents added. Just the basic cleaner, in other words. I can't remember for sure but I think the Dicor literature with our 2003 Montana mentioned using Dawn dishwashing liquid.

He also said, as Wayne suggested, to NOT use anything with citrus as both birds and squirrels think there's fruit under there and start pecking and digging.

Now, my problem is finding a "medium bristle brush." Most are soft and don't do a great job, as Fire5er discovered (me, too). I bought one awhile back I think might qualify but haven't used it yet. Our roof also needs cleaning. I'd be willing to supervise if someone would like to practice roof cleaning ours.

Fire5er, I'd also like to have a snowy white roof but, to be honest, I don't recall any rubber roof a year or more old not having at least some staining.

Along the visible edges I use a hand scrubber brush with the Dawn. It works pretty well but darned if I'm going to use that hand scrubber for the entire roof.

Be careful up there. That roof gets very slippery when wet. Especially when wet and soapy. I remember sliding towards the edge and having no control at all. I was fortunately to be able to grab a vent before going over the edge. And I know a couple of our members have not been so fortunate.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Bingo, you don't have a sealer, but you should use a conditioner.

Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If all you have is a soft bristle brush, like I do, just send the DW up twice!
I'm still looking for those pictures.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Will any old "hair conditioner" do or do we have to search for ones that are specifically made for grey or white hair??!!?? Thought I'd get that in there before Wayne jumped in on it! Seriously, I don't remember any conditioner to be used but be sure to check all around by all the vents, A/Cs, or skylights for any loose or peeling sealers or caulking. Really that should be done BEFORE you do your washing and allow it plenty of time to dry if you put new down before washing the top with the Dawn (blue stuff only). I used the old dryer sheet trick on the front of my T/V and the Monte and boy did it clean those bugs off and they were on there all winter. I think it would even work on the sides to get the black streaks off too but I haven't tried it on them yet! If anyone want to come up to Omaha and volunteer to clean my roof. I might even throw in a steak dinner for the lucky volunteer!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just did mine last week with the Thetford stuff from Camping World. Looks like new! (I guess it is pretty new - oh well).

Wayne - I never knew why on the citrus until now (birds). I took a guess it had something to do with muriatic acid in the citrus or something.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Waynem, on my search earlier today on roof cleaning I saw your pictures of your DW up on the roof with a long handle brush.
Would you train my wife to do that to mine, she won't listen to me..

Thanks to all for the help.

Ray
Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
If you cand find a medium bristle brush how about finding a broom with the right texture and cut it down to a size more manageable for cleaning.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
If its really, really dirty a wire brush on a hand grinder should get the dirt off. But, that might call for some of that sealant afterwards.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Any brush will work, but I would not use wire. I think it would eat through the outer cover.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
I have found that Simple Green and brush real does well getting through the dirt and stains....
fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
The best I found was awesome cleaner from dollar general mixed with water in a spray bottle a little brushing and it does a realy good job. Oh and wayne I told susie to go up on top and clean it!!!!. the woman laughed at me. She dont know just who the boss is here. I might have to tell her again she didnt hear me HUH. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jackandh2o,
I think you need to give her more Jack and less h2o. With that said, some women are just not trainable. We try, and try, and try, but they seem to want things their own way. You just can't do with them, and you can't do without them. Of course, you could slip, get yourself in a cast, and say, "I told you so!" Maybe she'll listen then.

Bobby, you need to put both feet in them thar pants and cinch them up tight. Then tell her. You'll be wearing the pants, right?

Careful of the Awesome. I believe it is citrus based.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dicor, the folks who make the roof material have recommended at their seminars that dawn dish soap is all that is needed. For folks who do not beleive that they do make Products that they will sell at a high price. We will have several bottles of it as door prizes at the Gettysburg rally as they give it away at the fall rally ,which We collect for just such occasions, and we use dawn as is recommended.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:15 AM   #20
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
I was going to use Tony Orlando, but I will get Dawn.

Again, thanks to all.

Ray