Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Highly Recommend Checking

In the last few miles coming home from Florida, the lower skirting on the drivers side rear of the trailer came loose all along the bottom. It rained hard pretty much all the way through Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan and our last 3 hours from Port Huron to home in Ontario.

The lower skirting was in place at the last fuel stop as I walked around the trailer at each fuel stop to check everything.

When I got home I un-hitched the truck and went around back to hook up the power and found the rear corner of the skirting out of the corner moulding and all along the bottom was just swinging in the air.

It was storming with blowing snow bad so plugged it in and went in the house as it was getting dark. Skirting was still attached all along the top and at the front where the wheel well is as normal.

Wind picked up during the night and yesterday morning the skirting had torn off and was in the ditch beside the house.

Upon close examination today I discovered that the self tapping screws the factory uses to install the bottom of the skirting to the frame must have been loose and that allowed it to move enough to wear the holes large enough that the aluminum skirting just fell off as the heads of the screws were now to small to hold it in place.

Of course it got all bent to hell when the wind grabbed it and tore it off overnight. Just managed to sort of fit it back on and used big washers on the self tapping screws to hold it in place. Siliconed the hell out of it as it does not fit properly but needed to cover up the exposed areas of wood & insulation etc....

I HIGHLY SUGGEST EVERYONE CHECK THE SELF TAPPING SCREWS AND TIGHTEN AND OR INSTALL LARGE WASHERS or they will likely end up in the same predicament.

I have contacted the dealer and I am now waiting on a price for a new lower skirt for the drivers side..... along with a new black tank which they put on order a week ago when I discovered sewage leakage in the belly ( was not a leaking valve )................. SIGH
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote