Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Out of the hospital

Well in the end it all happened real quick. In Feb. i was lucky enough to retire fulltime. One week to my final day I was taken out by EMT's to the hospital. The diagnoses was Atrial Flutter. Well from that day on i was to the ER at least once a week to get my heart slowed down and back in rhythm. This was the only thing that worked. So this past Thursday I went to the ER again and after i got slowed down my DR. handed me some papers and said you staying.
Than his partner (an electrophysiologist) came in and told me an Ablation was in order. So the next day at noon i was in a futuristic setting being ablated. The procedure took a little over 3hrs, and the best part i was awake for the whole thing. An Ablation is a procedure were they find the area sending the bad signals and burn a hole in the signals pathway.

Things aren't totally back to normal yet I still have an erratic beat now and then, but at least my heart isn't beating 160ppm anymore.

The reason for the Irregular beats is not Atrial Flutter, It's Atrial Fibrillation which i also have. But this condition is treated much easier with meds, I HOPE.
I also have done a lot of reading about these two conditions. The word is over 2 million people suffer from one or both conditions. Though not life threatening, there is a really bad side effect with this, blood clots and stroke. Anytime your heart isn't beating properly from one chamber to the other this is really bad. So please be aware of the symptoms.
A fluttering feeling in the upper chest, hard or rapid heart beat for no apparent reason and shortness of breath with either symptom. Most people can be treated with meds, for me meds didn't work or I couldn't take them. This is a web page that has a lot of info about the conditionatrialfibrillationblog.com/ So I'm on the mend and can't wait to get out and about.

Be safe and Be healthy,
Kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
That is good news, Kevin! The known is a lot easier to deal with than the unknown. Have a great day and welcome home.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
FlashG
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7971
Glad you are doing better!
FlashG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sending good thoughts your way, good luck with the rest of your healing process.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Here's hoping you will soon be on the mend and "out and about"!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Glad to hear you are doing well.
I don't remember what mine is called (if I ever knew), but I also had an occasional flutter. Sometimes several times in a day. Never lasting more than a few seconds. Sometimes go for months without any. Funny feeling that would make me want to cough. But after coughing, it would usually go away. I learned that if I felt one starting, I would just cough fairly hard and it would quit. Am taking 25mg of Attenolol daily now and the flutters have all but been eliminated.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Kevin, welcome to recovery and take it easy for awhile. It is a slower process than I thought after having surgery a week ago myself. Time will heal everything and have a great summer. Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:53 AM   #8
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Glad to hear you are on the mend. Our close friend has been going through this same thing for the past several months. He is doing fine and back in the swing of things. I know things will be good for you as well. Welcome to retirement!!! Enjoy the world of seven day weekends!!! Ken and Marilyn Brenk
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sure glad to hear you came through this ok and that likely medication treatment will keep you functioning properly. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Kevin, welcome home. Rest easy for a while. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

George
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hey Kevin,

You have my empathy. I have had 4 episodes since 2005. One required hospitalization to get me back to a normal heart rate. I take Sotalol daily. It is a beta blocker with the side effect of controlling heart rate. I also am on daily aspirin to help prevent clots.

I discovered something interesting when I thought about the circumstances surrounding my episodes. In every case, it occurred during heavy consumption of caffeine, either coffee or cola. I have not had an additional episode since I cut to one cup a day or 1 cola a day.

I am sure it is not true of every case, but for me, it was a contributing factor. When we discussed it, my doctor confirmed the high probability that my analysis was correct.

So glad you are getting a handle on the problem. Hope things turn out for you as well as they seem to have for me.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Glad to hear that you're on the mend.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
Kevin, I know what you are going through. I also have Atrial Fibrillation. I was diagnosed about ten years ago. It is now well controlled by meds. At first I was put on Coumadin (blood thinner), but I was taken off after about 6 months. The medicine controlling the atrial fibrillation (Cardizem) has worked well. I take a daily low dose aspirin also.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #14
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Kevin, best wishes and hope for a good retirement. Glad you were able to pinpoint your health issue.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I would like to say, THANK YOU ALL. The support and well wishes are a big help in recovery. My nurse, (DW), is keeping a real close eye on me. I got yelled at a couple times today.

Thanks again, Kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Welcome home Kevin and take it easy and get ready for a great summer.

Dave & Linda
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Good news!
From what I can tell from your posts, you have a great, positive attitude. That (and doing what Kathy tells you to do ) will get you through.
We look forward to meeting you on the road someday.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #18
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Kevin,
I know exactlty what you are going through. # years ago I went through the same procedure and due to complications with my Lupus, I was on the table for 10 hours. Over all, the Ablation has been a success as I'm sure you are aware that the procedure doesn't always "cure" the A-Fibs.....Recently, (2 months ago) I had 3 stents put in and still have 2 blockages that will most likely require bypass surgery. All of this is due to the Lupus. It has made me be very aware about eating healthy and doing what ever I can to help myself.

Stay healthy Kevin,
Tim
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #19
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
It sounds like your on the road to getting your heart under control. My wife has A-Fib and has had it under control for quite awhile now with meds. The hard part may be following the doctors orders..:-)
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Kev,
Prayers on their way. Take care of yourself. This is a good time to plan your next trip!
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote